posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default A strange sailin experience

Normally, family sailin just stresses me to the max so I really like
solo sailin. However, my sis in law was visitin (I live in N. FL) from
Chicago with her two loud young brats and she really wanted to go
sailing so I agreed and took my 9 yr old daughter too. In spite of
them bein loud and obnoxious yankees, they all stayed outa my way (they
sat on the high side and I sat steerin on the low side). I offerred to
let em steer but they was too scared to so I had a great time.
Normally, I have people all over the damn cockpit so I can hardly do
anything but they just sat on the coaming and watched dolphins. I am
still tryin to figger out why I enjoyed this so much when my own family
makes me crazy on the boat. It might be that if her kids had fallen
overboard I'd consider it an improvement whereas I really want o
protect mine (I did make all kids tie in). Am still puzzlin over it.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I just got back from a day sail on the bay. There were four adults and two
boys, 11 and 9. They were fairly unruly, but that's what you can expect
sometimes with boys that age. Amazingly, the were transfixed as soon as they
got behind the wheel. The rest of the time they were bouncing off the walls
below. Even their father was amazed they didn't get sick below. They were
there most of the day.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Default A Ganzy sailin experience

"Capt. JG" wrote...
I just got back from a Gay sail on the bay. There were

four adults and two
boys, 11 and 9. They were fairy unruly, but that's what

you can expect
sometimes with boys that age. Amazingly, they were

transfixed as soon as I
got behind snip

You will be sailing on the lava lakes soon enough!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Scotty, you really don't need to relive your past in such graphic detail.
:-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Capt. JG" wrote...
I just got back from a Gay sail on the bay. There were

four adults and two
boys, 11 and 9. They were fairy unruly, but that's what

you can expect
sometimes with boys that age. Amazingly, they were

transfixed as soon as I
got behind snip

You will be sailing on the lava lakes soon enough!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

wrote:
Normally, family sailin just stresses me to the max so I really like
solo sailin. However, my sis in law was visitin (I live in N. FL) from
Chicago with her two loud young brats and she really wanted to go
sailing so I agreed and took my 9 yr old daughter too. In spite of
them bein loud and obnoxious yankees, they all stayed outa my way (they
sat on the high side and I sat steerin on the low side). I offerred to
let em steer but they was too scared to so I had a great time.

I'm surprised the kids didn't want to steer.

Normally, I have people all over the damn cockpit so I can hardly do
anything but they just sat on the coaming and watched dolphins. I am
still tryin to figger out why I enjoyed this so much when my own family
makes me crazy on the boat. It might be that if her kids had fallen
overboard I'd consider it an improvement whereas I really want o
protect mine (I did make all kids tie in). Am still puzzlin over it.

Should have told them the dolphins were sharks.

So, will they be begging to go sailing again on their next
visit?

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Just count your blessings. The last time my wife set me up to sail
with the out of town company, I ended up with nine (six kids and three
adults) non experienced passengers. Then one of those late summer
northern gulf black squalls (you know the ones I'm talking about) came
through when we were about six miles offshore. Pure chaos. I'm
still trying to forget that one.

Well, it gives them all a taste of adventure, and it's good
to impress kids with the power of Nature.

The worst kids' sail I was involved in was a class being
taught in Sunfish, two kids to a boat (one steering and one
holding the rope). We saw a T-storm brewing and were chasing
the kids down & towing them in, needless to say the storm
made a beeline for us with 4 Sunfish on a string and flipped
them all. But the kids we'd already gotten to shore were
actually more scared, the ones in the water thought it was
fun. One of them said to me "Next time you demonstrate a
capsize drill, can you make it go sideways really fast, like
we did?"

Fresh Breezes- Doug King