posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Made in the Shade

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?cp=29.572147|-95.04368&style=h&lvl=13&v=1

RedCloud is in the shade, thats a P- 40 in the next slip, then a Bruce
Robert Trawler in the other slip between the bldgs.

Zoom into 40 ft and you can also see my La Brisa dink (that I have
sailed every day this spring so far) tied by the stern. My Red 1961
Econoline truck, and MsTerrys White Porche.

Can you see your boat from outer space?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter

Joe wrote:

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?cp=29.572147|-95.04368&style=h&lvl=13&v=1

RedCloud is in the shade, thats a P- 40 in the next slip, then a Bruce
Robert Trawler in the other slip between the bldgs.

Zoom into 40 ft and you can also see my La Brisa dink (that I have
sailed every day this spring so far) tied by the stern. My Red 1961
Econoline truck, and MsTerrys White Porche.

Can you see your boat from outer space?

Unfortunately the URL does not contain zoom information, so the view one
gets is the default view from an altitude of 1.5 miles, you'll have to
give us some additional data if you want us to find your slip when we
zoom in.

If I go to my place the map being used is an old aerial photo from the
USGS, taken 17 april 1995, so no, I can't see my boat.

Cheers
Marty

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Oh sorry, Look at the lake left side of the bay, thats Clear Lake, at
the noth side of the lake you will see 2 creeks dumping into the lake.
The creek to the east is the taylor lake cut. Right were that cut meets
Clear lake to the right(westside) you will see bldgs with white roofs,
between the two bldgs next to where the creek dumps into the lake is 3
boats. Mine is the one most east in the shade, the P-40 is in the
middle slip and the trawler is the west most slip.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter

Joe wrote:

Oh sorry, Look at the lake left side of the bay, thats Clear Lake, at
the noth side of the lake you will see 2 creeks dumping into the lake.
The creek to the east is the taylor lake cut. Right were that cut meets
Clear lake to the right(westside) you will see bldgs with white roofs,
between the two bldgs next to where the creek dumps into the lake is 3
boats. Mine is the one most east in the shade, the P-40 is in the
middle slip and the trawler is the west most slip.

Gotcha Joe! Looks like you're well protected in there, probably not to
much foot traffic either?

Are those your vehicles just southwest of your boat?

Cheers
Marty
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Martin Baxter wrote:
Gotcha Joe! Looks like you're well protected in there, probably not to
much foot traffic either?

I'm not sure if he's well protected or exposed to a greater
hazard from debris & funneling of any storm surge. Only one
way to tell for sure!

That P-40 is an interesting boat. Not many IOR--typeformed
centerboard cruisers around... at one time my wife & I were
quite interested in one of these boats. Hey Joe weren't
these folks going to take off cruising for life?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

It is well protected but prone to flood due to funneling effects. Not
much foot traffic but we have our share of tourist driving thru and
stirring up dust. Our cars are right in front of the boat, and several
cars are parked in front of the first boat shed.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Funneling is a bad problem here, at a cat 5 storm they figure 12' flood
here in the marina, Its been 6' foot over the dock before puttin my
penisula completly under water. But we do have the bldgs and 20 ft
pylons around the boat.

The P-40 is gone, the picture is a couple years old. Sandy and Cheri
are still crusing with no plans to stop anytime soon. The P-40 was a
fine boat, we had many fine nights on Galveston Bay and the gulf on
her. She's fast but would not be my pick of a world cruiser due to the
lack of interior space. One the the best features is a nice clean and
clear deck. And Sandy's famous Martini's.

http://www.oceanicventures.com/news/billings.htm is the link to Sandy
and Cheri's cruising updates but the URL seems to be having problems
lately. They are in Guatamala..Cheri's is helping out at a local
medical clinic and Sandy is scouting out all the local fine foods!

Je

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Joe wrote:
Funneling is a bad problem here, at a cat 5 storm they figure 12' flood
here in the marina, Its been 6' foot over the dock before puttin my
penisula completly under water. But we do have the bldgs and 20 ft
pylons around the boat.

Don't know about your spot... in some places we've been, I'd
figure the buildings for a bigger hazard... especially boat
shed with big chunks of sheet metal to peel off.

We have funneling issues here too, especially with the
Neuse/Pamlico "wind tide" that sometimes surges 3 ~ 4 feet
in an hour or two. If the wind is from just the right
direction, places along the Bay River for example (just
north of Oriental) flood very badly, other creeks along the
Neuse have it worse. The wind blows the water out, too, I
have seen it where you could reach some boat's spreaders
more easily than their decks. My wife says it's good for
checking the shallow spots!

The P-40 is gone, the picture is a couple years old. Sandy and Cheri
are still crusing with no plans to stop anytime soon.

Sounds excellent. I'm glad they are having a good time,
sounds like sheis doing some good too.

You're right it's not as roomy a boat as a modern 40 footer
but it sails pretty well and the centerboard opens up a wide
range of anchorage options. I like flush decks too.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I can't find your's Joe.

I did find mine. It is not very sharp.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?cp=29.572147|-95.04368&style=h&lvl=13&v=1

Bridgeport,
Look for Pleasure Beach, to the North is a big L shaped dock.

Count from the bottom right of the L, I'm the 9th slip to
the left. As you count, several boats are not in there
slips, just to the left of that position, two boats stick
out a bit farther than the others. I'm the second one
over from the gap.

I looked for my other boat, but there is not enough
resolution to zoom in.

"Joe" wrote

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?cp=29.572147|-95.04368&style=h&lvl=13&v=1

RedCloud is in the shade, thats a P- 40 in the next slip, then a Bruce
Robert Trawler in the other slip between the bldgs.

Zoom into 40 ft and you can also see my La Brisa dink (that I have
sailed every day this spring so far) tied by the stern. My Red 1961
Econoline truck, and MsTerrys White Porche.

Can you see your boat from outer space?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Hey Bart the link you provided shows my place again.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?cp=29.572147|-95.04368&style=h&lvl=13&v=1

If you see the little circle on the picture for El Lago on the north
side of Clear lake we are on the waters edge.. right side.. next to the
Taylor lake cut dumping into Clearlake between the two white roofs in
the shade.

Do you have a link to your place?

Joe

Smedley Darlington Butler - USMC, Awarded two congressional medals of honor Icon O'Clast General 5 December 18th 05 05:23 PM
Amerika is Always at War jlrogers ASA 2 November 4th 05 09:20 PM
a bystanders view on the us noise that is made here jps General 213 November 2nd 05 09:34 PM
Observations made aboard a TomCat 255 [email protected] General 2 October 25th 05 01:01 AM