posted to alt.sailing.asa
barret bonden

Default pinstripe removal

Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for "Molding Adhesive and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell coat (?)

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend has graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

Barret.... not a hair dryer but a dedicated heat gun is required. Go slow
and do not melt the tape. Use a razor blade type scraper to assist in
removal. Take your time. Do not under any circumstances try abrasive or
grinding compounds to remove a pin stripe.... you will damage the gel coat.

CM

"barret bonden" wrote in message
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for "Molding Adhesive
and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell coat (?)

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend has graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Bobspirts hair dryer is made by the fuji welding supply company and is
considered commerical grade. Sorta like his hull buffer. Barret's GF
might have one too!

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

barret bonden wrote:
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for "Molding Adhesive and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell coat (?)

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend has graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

Yep...several times...work in small sections...hold the drter close
to the area you're working on and insert a plastic scraper behind an
edge...slowly push...when you get all the tape off, then use GooGone
to get rid of the residue....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Try Acetone or MEK.

3M makes some nifty products for goo removal too.

Amen!

"barret bonden" wrote in message
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for "Molding Adhesive
and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell coat (?)

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend has graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"barret bonden" wrote
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for "Molding Adhesive
and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell coat (?)

Don't know about that, gel coat is softer than car paint.

Capt.Mooron wrote:
Barret.... not a hair dryer but a dedicated heat gun is required. Go slow
and do not melt the tape.

Why not? Obviously if it melts, it comes off

... Use a razor blade type scraper to assist in
removal.

I like katysail's idea of a plastic type scraper better, but
there's no reason to not try both kinds & use whichever
gives better results. I have had bad luck using metal
scrapers on gel coat, it tends to go smoothly for a little
bit and then suddenly scoop out a chunk.

... Take your time. Do not under any circumstances try abrasive or
grinding compounds to remove a pin stripe.... you will damage the gel coat.

Yes but as long as the damage is only slight, and over a
small area, it's not a big deal to go back & buff it out. In
fact the hull around where the stripe was may be discolored
from UV and need lots of buffing anyway.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Martin Baxter

Joe wrote:

Bobspirts hair dryer is made by the fuji welding supply company and is
considered commerical grade. Sorta like his hull buffer. Barret's GF
might have one too!

Bobsprit's hair dryer throws out more heat than a thermite lance!

Cheers
Marty
------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----
posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Bob Crantz wrote:
Try Acetone or MEK.

3M makes some nifty products for goo removal too.

Amen!

"barret bonden" wrote in message
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for "Molding Adhesive
and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell coat (?)

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend has graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

Acetone can make your gelcoat soften...iif you leave it on long
enough to work on the tape, you're taking a chance that you'll do
damage to your paint and fiberglass...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Edgar

Yes, acetone could be dangerous.
Xylene has worked well for me. Gets the goo off and does not seem to hurt
the gelcoat.
Some of the branded products smell of it so probably are based on it but it
is probably cheaper to buy the generic ingredient on its own.
..
"katy" wrote in message
Bob Crantz wrote:
Try Acetone or MEK.

3M makes some nifty products for goo removal too.

Amen!

"barret bonden" wrote in message
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick on stripe

around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for "Molding Adhesive
and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell coat (?)

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend has graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

Acetone can make your gelcoat soften...iif you leave it on long
enough to work on the tape, you're taking a chance that you'll do
damage to your paint and fiberglass...

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Barret,

I had good results using a Electric Soldering iron and a plastic
windshield ice scraper, to remove old plastic tape numbers. Just don't
get the Hull to hot. I worked the iron about about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an
inch from the plastic to be removed. I kept the Scraper in contact with
the plastic and the Iron in motion just above the edge of the Scraper
and number being removed.

Thom'sPage

Bilge water removal Robert General 7 March 6th 06 07:12 PM
Soda blast paint removal Vdias Cruising 0 January 13th 06 05:45 PM
Battery Removal [email protected] Electronics 11 December 23rd 05 03:31 AM
Winter battery removal [email protected] Cruising 21 November 19th 05 03:44 PM