posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Default pinstripe removal

"barret bonden" wrote
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for "Molding Adhesive
and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell coat (?)

Don't know about that, gel coat is softer than car paint.

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend has graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

Capt.Mooron wrote:
Barret.... not a hair dryer but a dedicated heat gun is required. Go slow
and do not melt the tape.

Why not? Obviously if it melts, it comes off

... Use a razor blade type scraper to assist in
removal.

I like katysail's idea of a plastic type scraper better, but
there's no reason to not try both kinds & use whichever
gives better results. I have had bad luck using metal
scrapers on gel coat, it tends to go smoothly for a little
bit and then suddenly scoop out a chunk.

... Take your time. Do not under any circumstances try abrasive or
grinding compounds to remove a pin stripe.... you will damage the gel coat.

Yes but as long as the damage is only slight, and over a
small area, it's not a big deal to go back & buff it out. In
fact the hull around where the stripe was may be discolored
from UV and need lots of buffing anyway.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King