posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

Default pinstripe removal

On 21 Mar 2006 07:24:26 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

Bobspirts hair dryer is made by the fuji welding supply company and is
considered commerical grade. Sorta like his hull buffer. Barret's GF
might have one too!

Joe

Have bobsprit loan you one of those heavy duty " angle grinders" his
yard uses for polishing hulls. He will guarantee that it won't do any
harm.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Tip; while using the heat gun, use a tweezers to pull the
tape. prevents burned fingers.

Scotty

"Capt.Mooron" wrote in message
Barret.... not a hair dryer but a dedicated heat gun is

required. Go slow
and do not melt the tape. Use a razor blade type scraper

to assist in
removal. Take your time. Do not under any circumstances

try abrasive or
grinding compounds to remove a pin stripe.... you will

damage the gel coat.

CM

"barret bonden" wrote in message
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick

on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for

"Molding Adhesive
and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of

some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would

assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell

coat (?)

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend

has graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
Try Acetone or MEK.

Ya betcha, Bob. And don't use gloves under any circumstances--too
cumbersome. And breathe deeply, especially with MEK. It'll cure what ails
ya. g

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Edgar" wrote in message
Yes, acetone could be dangerous.
Xylene has worked well for me. Gets the goo off and does not seem to hurt
the gelcoat.
Some of the branded products smell of it so probably are based on it but
it
is probably cheaper to buy the generic ingredient on its own.

My personal preference is benzene. Great smelling stuff and feels great on
the hands.

Now, if you'll all excuse me I've got to go have my next dose of chemo for
my acute mylogenous leukemia.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Seahag

"barret bonden" wrote:
Have a flaking decayed red (plastic of some sort) stick
on stripe around
the whole boat just under the gunwale. I read ads for
"Molding Adhesive and
Stripe Removal Disc" kits; circular disks (plastic of
some sort) that
attach to hand drills and scour off car decals. I would
assume that if
these things don't hurt car paint they won't bother jell
coat (?)

I've also heard of using a hair dryer - my girlfriend has
graciously
volunteered hers..anyone with experince in this ?

Hair dryer/heat gun enough to soften the tape. A plastic
scraper or longish thumbnail works great to peel up the
letters. Won't scratch the jellcoat. Wipe off the goo with
that 3M glue remover stuff. Make sure you get it all or the
wax/goo balls will forever mar your perfect shine...

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
Try Acetone or MEK.

Ya betcha, Bob. And don't use gloves under any circumstances--too
cumbersome. And breathe deeply, especially with MEK. It'll cure what
ails ya. g

Max

I remove glue residue with hydrazine.

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
Try Acetone or MEK.

Ya betcha, Bob. And don't use gloves under any circumstances--too
cumbersome. And breathe deeply, especially with MEK. It'll cure what
ails ya. g

Max

I remove glue residue with hydrazine.

Yeah, but I'll bet you don't eat raw seal meat, do ya.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
Try Acetone or MEK.

Ya betcha, Bob. And don't use gloves under any circumstances--too
cumbersome. And breathe deeply, especially with MEK. It'll cure what
ails ya. g

Max

I remove glue residue with hydrazine.

Yeah, but I'll bet you don't eat raw seal meat, do ya.

Max

I eat raw mackeral.

Praise!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
Try Acetone or MEK.

Ya betcha, Bob. And don't use gloves under any circumstances--too
cumbersome. And breathe deeply, especially with MEK. It'll cure what
ails ya. g

Max

I remove glue residue with hydrazine.

Yeah, but I'll bet you don't eat raw seal meat, do ya.

Max

I eat raw mackeral.

Aren't they kind of hard to get in your mouth when they're wiggling?

Try tuna or salmon sashimi, too.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
barret bonden

Got it off with a friend's heat gun ( hair dryer wasn't hot enough ) and a
plastic scraper (which almost melted several times) ; many thanks for the
ideas -

Bilge water removal Robert General 7 March 6th 06 07:12 PM
Soda blast paint removal Vdias Cruising 0 January 13th 06 05:45 PM
Battery Removal [email protected] Electronics 11 December 23rd 05 03:31 AM
Winter battery removal [email protected] Cruising 21 November 19th 05 03:44 PM