posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default bogUS Sailing is NOT the governing body of the sport.

"DSK" wrote

Depends on the sailor.
I've literally seen guys get angry and insist that something was wrong
with the boat, when putting them into a C-15 or JY after years of sailing
30+' keel boats.

I can think of a few people like that. Still, after that
someone without a patronizing attitude, could take them out
and really teach them something, and perhaps get them
excited about learning something really new and
exciting.

... Why not
just turn them loose in a boat for a few days? The
principals are the same. They'd pick it up what they
need to know quickly.

I think that's a good idea, but it could get costly if you turn them loose
in a shallow area.

Good point. Wouldn't want to stick those masts in the
mud!

One small boat club I was involved with, had 4 boats bend and/or break
their masts in one day. After that, club leadership suddenly got serious
about demostrating capsize drills before turning people loose in boats.

They also got serious about using mast floats, which I think NotPony's
program already is.

Mast floats are a great solution, and I think you nailed
the answer to the one weakness in my argument. Thanks.

This club eventually bought mainsails with foam top panels, which I think
is an awesome idea. Using these, the boats were *impossible* to turtle
under almost any circumstances.

Cool. What a fabulous idea!

Lots of keelboat people have started in dinks!

That's true, but then lots of them have also been out of it for years.
IMHO your idea about demonstrating the skills makes sense.

Thanks. It also takes away some of the power from
the "Holier than Thou" crowd who want to protect
their fiefdoms through silly rules and over-regulation.

Should an experience adult have to sit
through a boring certification course with a bunch of
kids? I'm talking about someone who knows how
to sail a Laser, and has completed the instructors clinic
for US Sailing, ASA, RYA or the equivalent?
What about a guy who has competed in the Olympics
on skiff's and has a keelboat instructors certification?
Does he have to take the course too? That is the policy
now, AND IT MAKES NO SENSE!

US Sailing is either stupid and inflexible or else it is
purely and simply a functioning on a profit motivation!

Well "stupid & inflexible" is the default setting on most organizations
consisting of more than 5 people, IMHO.

Perhap the Training Department should be renamed the
"Stupid and Senseless Home for the Inflexible."

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jean Pudl

Default Learning to sail the USA way.

Mys Terry wrote:
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:57:02 -0500, Jean Pudl wrote:

Mys Terry wrote:

Junior High School starts in the 9th grade.

Its pretty clear you never got that far. Every junior high school
I've heard of started in 6th or 7th grade

You are correct on one count and incorrect on another. These days they have
"middle schools" that start with 6th grade. 9th grade was the last year for
Junior Highs and is now the first year of high school.

I'm well aware of this - my town has middle schools that are 6-7-8th
grade. However, I didn't want to quibble about whether its called
"junior" or "middle" or whether is 6th or 7th since there could be
small differences across the country. But I still doubt there is a
Junior High that starts in 9th grade.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

You don't have to doubt. There's no such thing. (Now, that idiot will
probably waste a lot of his time trying to prove us wrong.)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com