posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default bogUS Sailing is NOT the governing body of the sport.

Steve, I don't think he is there any more. I didn't say he
was a CP instructor--he probably was. He did serve as
BK/BC IT outside of the Naval Academy for US Sailing
commerical keelboat school. Give me a call or pass your
phone number to Doug and I'll tell you whatever you want
to know.

Tell me Steve, do you think a keelboat instructor needs
to take yet another certification course to teach small
boats? I don't. That issue alone turned me away from
volunteering at one location.

Do you think that every single certification required
that someone take an evaluation course? The purpose
of which is to make money? Should there not be a
process where a committee review is sufficient to
grant such status? Take the Naval Academy guy.
It was presumed he was passed and he was not
evaluated to the same standard as I was. In my
opinion, he probably could have shown he taught
such courses, document this fact and be able to
submit a resume to place out of such a requirement.

Certainly if the presumption is everyone should be
evaluate to the same standard, they should all be
treated exactly the same. Everything should be
above board. If it's not, it needs to be fixed.
Those at fault need to be removed from such
authority.

Given the close similarities between ASA and bogUS
Sailing's keelboat programs, do you think ASA
certified instructor need to re-qualify for US Sailing?
I don't.

Do you think less qualified people should be
evaluating those with more comprehensive sailing
resumes? I don't.

Do you think a high percentage of the IT's should come
from one sailing school? I don't.

Do you think a man who runs a commercial sailing
school should be the training chair? I don't.

Do you think commercial sailing instructor's deserve
their own representation at US Sailing? I do.

You say there are lots of opportunities for feedback
on the small boat side. Why then is there a gap in the
grievance process in the By-Laws for instructors?

The bottom line is it seems most sailor wants to think
they are better than most everyone else. I've seen it
in racing crews, I've seen it in US Sailing. You have
so many ego's trying to drive others down in the pecking
order. What happened to developing skills?

I've said it many times in the past. You have to be
humble if you want to learn. US Sailing needs to
develop some humility.

"NotPony" wrote
Bart, who is this Navy guy who is now a CP
instructor? Cmdr. Vandenberg is the Director of
the NA's sailing program, and he isn't a CP
instructor. In fact, I don't see anyone in the
list that is associated with the NA.
I don't know about the keelboat side, but in the
small boat training side, there are many
opportunities for the instructors and host site to
be critiqued.
S.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I like and admire Rich too. My only beef with him, and
it is a big one, is he refused to document 151 days of
sea time I had with him in 1995 which delayed getting
my USCG license considerably. The reason being he
was afraid of the USCG. I was not the only one hurt by
that policy. Is it favoritism to document sea time only
for employees with USCG licenses? I think so. Equal
credit for equal work. That is fair. If he was worried
about the consequences he should have taken action
himself to clarify the matter with the USCG.

Other than that. I'll give credit where it is due. His school
is probably the best in the world. And his techniques are
the best for instruction--thoroughly refined and perfected.
I'd send my own family members to learn there.

US Sailing is, I'm told, working with the USCG to make
some changes to give exemptions to the licensing requirement
for sailing instructors. Frankly, I feel bogUS Sailing has
screwed up horribly by not having this done ten years ago,
given the problem was well known at that time. Frankly
I don't expect any progress in that area, because I've seen
nothing in print on the subject. Without documentation
there is never accountability.

If they can pay to lobby to be the "Governing Body of
the Sport, why can't they lobby to make important changes
that would benefit sailing instructors? It's because it won't
make them any money. An effort like this take a concerted
effort, constant pressure, public editorials, phone calls from
lots of people to make it happen--not one guy's part-time
effort. If I had the responsibility to make this happen I
could make it happen in one year. If I didn't I'd be working
to get someone fired in the USCG.

Lets watch. I'll bet nothing happens. Then will you agree that
bogUS Sailing is inept? Will you speak out about it to put
pressure on the subject? Ten years from now they will
still be talking about this and saying they are making progress.

Tell me Steve. Do you know who is paid at US Sailing? Do
you know how much they make? Have you seen an accurate
spreadsheet showing how all the money is spent? Why do they
hide this information? Why is it not displayed as a file on there
web site? Why are meeting minutes so terse?

Things I've been told about never show up in meeting minutes.
That is either proof they do not document things, or proof they
are not doing the things they claim to be doing.

I think their insurance is worth investigation. Why is there not
a more competitive process for insurance. They only have one
insurance provider. That smells like kickback to me.

One final point. I think bogUS Sailing should lose it's non-profit
status--because they do not represent their constituents.

I think I'll look up the tax laws on the subject. I'll bet I can
find an issue to support my assertion. Stirring the pot can only
improve bogUS Sailing and maybe it will make them into an
organization worth joining.

"NotPony" wrote
I also have a great deal of respect for Rich
Jepsen. He has done well in leading the training
committee in rewriting the level II training and
they are almost done the rewrite of the level I
and Start Sailing Right.
No, US SAILING isn't perfect, but I think it does
well with it's small staff and volunteers.
S.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Learning to sail the USA way.

Here Jay.... see if you can get on the Conquest. She has a rich history
of fighting commies, Iranians, and other spokes on the Axis of Evil.
She has also rescued many and provided relief for victims of natural
disasters. She has plied most ports of the world. I know for a fact the
best boat coxswain in the US Navy helmed her for a few years in her
career.

http://www.ship564.org/boats.html

Now she serves with the Sea Scouts. I hear she keeps a sharp eye out
for terrorist types. If she's not local to you... find a local Sea
Scout troop.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message news:XbXTf.8

One final point. I think bogUS Sailing should lose it's non-profit
status--because they do not represent their constituents.

If that is part of their bylaws, you may have them. Usually a slim chance.

However if you can show that profits are directed back toward officers and
directors you do then have them. It may not have to be monetary profit,
maybe just some unusual perks or preferential treatment.

Also check for political bias.

I think I'll look up the tax laws on the subject. I'll bet I can
find an issue to support my assertion.

It may be better to audit their books.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
Here Jay.... see if you can get on the Conquest. She has a rich history
of fighting commies, Iranians, and other spokes on the Axis of Evil.
She has also rescued many and provided relief for victims of natural
disasters. She has plied most ports of the world. I know for a fact the
best boat coxswain in the US Navy helmed her for a few years in her
career.

http://www.ship564.org/boats.html

Now she serves with the Sea Scouts. I hear she keeps a sharp eye out
for terrorist types. If she's not local to you... find a local Sea
Scout troop.

Joe

Were you an officer in the Sea Scouts Joe?

What rank did you attain?

It appears you were at least Captain of the Sea Scout Vessel.

Amen!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

The Sea Scouts also restore boats beyond that ferry boat you skippered:

http://www.scout544ptf.com/

aaaahaahahahahahahaahahhhhahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!

Glory!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Warning! While many in the USCGA are sharp seaman.

Many more are untrained novices in the "keystone cop" category.

"Dave" wrote

Jay Santos" said:
Is there some type of volunteer sail organization much like the Citizens'
Auxiliary Police that aid the Coast Guard?

Not a "sail organization," but there's a Coast Guard Auxiliary. Your local
CG should be able to put you in touch with the local one.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

The Sea Scout are a great organization. Up here have
been led by a very able sailor. They win races all the time.
A sharp bunch.

Amen!

"Bob Crantz" wrote
The Sea Scouts also restore boats beyond that ferry boat you skippered:
http://www.scout544ptf.com/

Glory!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Never in the sea scouts, but you're right..I have been skipper of one
Sea Scout boat.

I was an airman in the C.A.P.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Ahh... Bob the PT boat has not been restored.

That Sea Scouts troop have a big project that is going to cost big
bucks!

We have a WWII vintage PT here in Clearlake. Called the "Ohhh Frankie"
seems Sinatra was aboard during the war.

Joe