posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default Seamanship Question #33

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

I'm not a real sailor but I would like to be
someday......................... So you are telling me that nobody does
an hourly visual look to the bilge to see what lurking down there? I
guess that is probably to nast of a job for real saliors.

If you must do an hourly inspection of the bilge, you would have to be quite
unfamiliar with your boat. Daily is sufficient, if you know what condition
the packing glad is in, not to mention that most bilges have automatic pumps
which will alert you to an incoming water problem should one occur. Only
the highly paranoid would do an hourly inspection, once familiar with the
boat.

Here is a question I will give 10 points to anybody who knows the
correct answe

"Columbus discovered America in ____absentia______________."

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Bob wrote:
Bart Senior wrote:
Correct. This is the most important reason. 1 point to you.

If they had hand pumped the bilge they would have saved
their batteries, and been aware of the problem early on.

Why is it a good idea to hand pump your bilge every day when sailing on
the ocean? [1 pt]

It's one way to detect any changes in the amount of water in your bilge.

I'm not a real sailor but I would like to be
someday......................... So you are telling me that nobody does
an hourly visual look to the bilge to see what lurking down there? I
guess that is probably to nast of a job for real saliors.

Here is a question I will give 10 points to anybody who knows the
correct answe

"Columbus discovered America in __________________."

Go to it .

Columbus didn't discover America; he discovered Santo Domingo....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

I have to dis-agree Doug, I think it is wise to view your bilges more
often than once a day. I like to do it at a min of once every 6 hours
while underway. First thing in watch change

joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On 8 Mar 2006 06:14:45 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

I have to dis-agree Doug, I think it is wise to view your bilges more
often than once a day. I like to do it at a min of once every 6 hours
while underway. First thing in watch change

joe

Agree with Joe. On a delivery of a new boat, wind conditions changed
creating additional heel. An improperly designed anti-siphon loop
started taking on water. A once a day bilge check might have been a
disaster. Our watches were set at four hours and it was on the check
list.

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

It is easier to manually pump the bilge. Most
often a manual pump is located on deck near
the helm. If the bilge is expected to be dry and
that is found not to be the case, further investigation
would be warranted.

Should you actually inspect the bilge? Yes periodically.
How often is up to you. I've found that even small
cracks that can't be sealed will leak water. The
important thing to remember is to check it often. I've
often read of people waking up to find water over the
cabin sole. Checking often, either by using a manual
bilge pump and or visual inspection might give you the
extra time needed to save the boat.

The lesson here is it is a good idea to manually
pump the bilge because it makes it more obvious
if water is coming into the boat, while electric
bilge pumps make such problems transparent
until they are more severe. Also, it saves your
batteries and give you a bit of exercise.

Use your manual bilge pump often to ensure it
works, and have spare parts on hand. Having
more than one pump is a smart idea also.

By the way, you get to be a real sailor by actually
sailing, by being humble enough to realize that you
can learn from everyone, and finally by being smart
enough to recognize that the subject is one that
requires deep and constant study to master.

"Bob" wrote

Bart Senior wrote:
If they had hand pumped the bilge they would have saved
their batteries, and been aware of the problem early on.

Why is it a good idea to hand pump your bilge every
day when sailing on the ocean? [1 pt]

It's one way to detect any changes in the amount of
water in your bilge.

I'm not a real sailor but I would like to be
someday......................... So you are telling me that nobody does
an hourly visual look to the bilge to see what lurking down there? I
guess that is probably to nast of a job for real saliors.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
On 8 Mar 2006 06:14:45 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

I have to dis-agree Doug, I think it is wise to view your bilges more
often than once a day. I like to do it at a min of once every 6 hours
while underway. First thing in watch change

joe

Agree with Joe. On a delivery of a new boat, wind conditions changed
creating additional heel. An improperly designed anti-siphon loop
started taking on water. A once a day bilge check might have been a
disaster. Our watches were set at four hours and it was on the check
list.

A new sportfisherman, built in NC and being delivered to the Miami Boat
Show, sank in the Neuse River just off Oriental about a month or so ago.
Seems the dripless gland on one of the shafts ruptured and allowed the bilge
to flood, ultimately sinking the boat and killing both delivery pilots
aboard. I wonder if they ever checked the bilge prior to its flooding.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Columbus discoverded America in...... a Sailboat!

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Frank Boettcher wrote:
Agree with Joe. On a delivery of a new boat, wind conditions changed
creating additional heel. An improperly designed anti-siphon loop
started taking on water. A once a day bilge check might have been a
disaster. Our watches were set at four hours and it was on the check
list.

In an unfamiliar boat, or on a delivery (which would also be
in an unfamiliar boat), sure. But in a well-found boat that
you know and have confidence in?

On my own boats I've gone weeks without looking in the
bilge, nor having any reason to. On somebody elses boat I
might look more often, especially at first... if they asked
me to check once per watch, OK. Once per hour? I would
wonder what made them so paranoid.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob

DSK wrote:

But in a well-found boat that
you know and have confidence in?

On my own boats I've gone weeks without looking in the
bilge, nor having any reason to.
Once per hour? I would wonder what made them so paranoid.
DSK

Life on the water.

Do you allow smoking on your boat too?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

On my own boats I've gone weeks without looking in the
bilge, nor having any reason to.
Once per hour? I would wonder what made them so paranoid.
DSK

Bob wrote:
Life on the water.

Without doing proper maintenance?

Do you allow smoking on your boat too?

Yes, but only after sex.

DSK

Seamanship Question #28 Bart Senior ASA 5 December 4th 05 03:23 PM
Seamanship Question #27 Bart Senior ASA 17 December 2nd 05 03:07 PM
The last Seamanship question Gary ASA 9 November 29th 05 10:43 PM
Seamanship Question #26 Bart Senior ASA 9 November 29th 05 12:27 AM
Seamanship Question #23 Bart Senior ASA 9 November 10th 05 05:47 PM