posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Best Oscar Predictions

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/2006030...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Bob Crantz wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/2006030...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

I'm not even going to watch this year since I didn;t see any of
those movies. Only ones that I as remotely interested in were
"Pride and Prejudice" and "North Country"....maybe next year will be
better.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"katy" wrote in message
Bob Crantz wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/2006030...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

I'm not even going to watch this year since I didn;t see any of those
movies. Only ones that I as remotely interested in were "Pride and
Prejudice" and "North Country"....maybe next year will be better.

Had the chance to watch several movies this past week, we enjoyed:
Walk the Line
Must Love Dogs
Oliver Twist (Polanski's)
The Weatherman

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Scout wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Bob Crantz wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/2006030...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

I'm not even going to watch this year since I didn;t see any of those
movies. Only ones that I as remotely interested in were "Pride and
Prejudice" and "North Country"....maybe next year will be better.

Had the chance to watch several movies this past week, we enjoyed:
Walk the Line
Must Love Dogs
Oliver Twist (Polanski's)
The Weatherman

I didn't realize "Must Love Dogs" was on the list...that was a cute
movie, not what I would call Oscar material, though. "Weaterman" is
on our list to see. I've seen so many versions of "Oliver Twist"
that I guess I could stand one more.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

katy wrote:
I didn't realize "Must Love Dogs" was on the list...that was a cute
movie, not what I would call Oscar material, though. "Weaterman" is on
our list to see. I've seen so many versions of "Oliver Twist" that I
guess I could stand one more.

Dickens is an abysmal read, but his books seem to make good
movies... the opposite is more common, great books made into
lousy movies.

We don't go see many movies... in fact I can't recall what
we went to see last. My wife & I don't have the need to "be
entertained" since we seem to be able to entertain
ourselves. But I heard some talk about a new Pink Panther
movie which I'd probably like.

A few months ago, I ordered a DVD of Walt Disney's
"Fantasia" which is the only DVD we own... we have some of
the BBC's Sherlock Holmes series, and a stack of sailing
videos, on VHS tape... probably will end up throwing them
all away.

It is a tradition in our household that we watch TV so
rarely that when we turn it on, the dog barks at it.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Frank Boettcher

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 09:18:05 -0500, DSK wrote:

katy wrote:
I didn't realize "Must Love Dogs" was on the list...that was a cute
movie, not what I would call Oscar material, though. "Weaterman" is on
our list to see. I've seen so many versions of "Oliver Twist" that I
guess I could stand one more.

Dickens is an abysmal read, but his books seem to make good
movies... the opposite is more common, great books made into
lousy movies.

So true. The epitome of great books made into bad movies has to be
"Catch 22" One of my favorite books and one of the worst movies ever.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

katy wrote:

I didn't realize "Must Love Dogs" was on the list...that was a cute
movie, not what I would call Oscar material, though. "Weaterman" is on
our list to see. I've seen so many versions of "Oliver Twist" that I
guess I could stand one more.

Dickens is an abysmal read, but his books seem to make good
movies... the opposite is more common, great books made into
lousy movies.

So true. The epitome of great books made into bad movies has to be
"Catch 22" One of my favorite books and one of the worst movies ever.

Gee, I lived for Dicken's books when I was in junior high...and read
Bronte, Austen and Forrsester when I was in high school. All of
their works translate well in the movies, but I liked the books
better. Every so often I dig them out for a good re-read.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Dickens is an abysmal read, but his books seem to make good movies...
the opposite is more common, great books made into lousy movies.

So true. The epitome of great books made into bad movies has to be
"Catch 22" One of my favorite books and one of the worst movies ever.

The movie tried to get the flow of the book, and IMHo ended
up a disjointed mess although it had it's moments. I like
Alan Arkin & Bob Newhart.

katysails wrote:
Gee, I lived for Dicken's books when I was in junior high...

You have better taste in Litterah-choor than I do. I thought
most of those Victorian novelists were dreary & long-winded.
The plots were great though.

How many movies have been made of 'Tom Sawyer'? Any good
ones, or even half-decent? I've seen at least eight or nine
& they all sucked.

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

katysails wrote:

Gee, I lived for Dicken's books when I was in junior high...

You have better taste in Litterah-choor than I do. I thought most of
those Victorian novelists were dreary & long-winded. The plots were
great though.

How many movies have been made of 'Tom Sawyer'? Any good ones, or even
half-decent? I've seen at least eight or nine & they all sucked.

DSK

There was that one excellent rendition of _Huckleberry Finn_....and
the there was _Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court_ and all
the weird spin-offs (the Danny Kaye version)....I always thought the
Jack London books were tedious but I did like the movie versions...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

"katy" wrote in message
Scout wrote:
"katy" wrote in message

Bob Crantz wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ucac/2006030...N5bnN1YmNhdA--

I'm not even going to watch this year since I didn;t see any of those
movies. Only ones that I as remotely interested in were "Pride and
Prejudice" and "North Country"....maybe next year will be better.

Had the chance to watch several movies this past week, we enjoyed:
Walk the Line
Must Love Dogs
Oliver Twist (Polanski's)
The Weatherman

I didn't realize "Must Love Dogs" was on the list...that was a cute movie,
not what I would call Oscar material, though. "Weaterman" is on our list
to see. I've seen so many versions of "Oliver Twist" that I guess I could
stand one more.

Nah, no Oscar list for most of these . . . they were just the movies we
watched while the titanium queen began her mending.
Scout