posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Default Lessons of a tragedy....Roller furlers suck

"Nothing or little to do" yeah right. If he did not have to go out on
the bow in the first place he would not have been knocked overboard.

I never said it was the reason he died, I just said roller furlers
suck.

Seems they always fail in situations like this. Why chance a stuck
sail?

Hank on's rule. Tried and true, will not dis-appoint you in your moment
of need.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Joe wrote:
"Nothing or little to do" yeah right. If he did not have to go out on
the bow in the first place he would not have been knocked overboard.

I never said it was the reason he died, I just said roller furlers
suck.

Seems they always fail in situations like this. Why chance a stuck
sail?

Hank on's rule. Tried and true, will not dis-appoint you in your moment
of need.

Joe

You're nuts, Joe. You have to go out on the deck with hank
ons....how do you do sail changes??? Or Llike I said, unscramble
problems that also arise with jank ons? Sometimes I wonder if you
ever really sail at all or if you just motor that thing around.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

I learned early to reef and swap head sails before the front or bad
weather hits. It's not that hard Katy.

True...RedCloud has the to ability to power out of trouble, but that
has nothing to do with roll up failures, and Ive seen so many roll up's
shreaded it isn't funny.

Next thing your going to try to tell me in-mast rollers systems are
great.

Bwahahahahahahahaaaa.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Joe wrote:
I learned early to reef and swap head sails before the front or bad
weather hits. It's not that hard Katy.

True...RedCloud has the to ability to power out of trouble, but that
has nothing to do with roll up failures, and Ive seen so many roll up's
shreaded it isn't funny.

Next thing your going to try to tell me in-mast rollers systems are
great.

Bwahahahahahahahaaaa.

Joe

Nope...I don't think they're great except for people that would
never venture out into anything but fair akies and fair seas...and
we sailed for years without a furler, so I do know what I'm talking
about. The erros in that story ahd nothing to do with furling and
everything to do with inept sailong...and yes, we reef
early...sometimes we reeft right at the dock or mooring, preferring
a controlled situation rather than getting out there and having
everything flying all over...it's always much easier to shake iot
all out if uneeded than to reef in under poor conditions...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

I agree with you on in-mast furlers. I had snag once and it
took a long time to clear it. I had only a few options, try to
furl, or try to un-furl. The thing was mostly furled so changing
halyard tension wouldn't have helped.

Thankfully, I was in a protected harbor at Jost Van Dyke at the
time. I hate to think what I would have had to do to clear it in
strong winds. Perhaps the wind would have helped it. Still I
would rather not have that problem ever again.

In boom furling, at least, gives you the option of dropping the
sail. Not that I am a big fan of this either.

My choice is a Dutchman System, with a good track system
--which gives you all the benefits of sail shaping, as well as easy
hoisting and lowering, and the benefit of keeping the sail where
you want it.

"Joe" wrote

I learned early to reef and swap head sails before the front or bad
weather hits. It's not that hard Katy.

True...RedCloud has the to ability to power out of trouble, but that
has nothing to do with roll up failures, and Ive seen so many roll up's
shreaded it isn't funny.

Next thing your going to try to tell me in-mast rollers systems are
great.

Bwahahahahahahahaaaa.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

The only bummer about the Dutchman system is that you have to put holes in
your sail.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message news
[...]

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Small holes, with reinforcing patches. The monofilament is
pretty thin stuff. It is certainly not something worth complaining
about compared to other systems with bigger hassles.

"Capt. JG" wrote

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote
My choice is a Dutchman System, with a good track system
--which gives you all the benefits of sail shaping, as well as easy
hoisting and lowering, and the benefit of keeping the sail where
you want it.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Hank on sails work fine, except that you are required to go forward to deal
with it (unless you have a downhaul). Furlers work fine, but have the
possibiilty that you may have to go forward to deal with it. Going forward
in bad conditions is something to be avoided if possible.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Nothing or little to do" yeah right. If he did not have to go out on
the bow in the first place he would not have been knocked overboard.

I never said it was the reason he died, I just said roller furlers
suck.

Seems they always fail in situations like this. Why chance a stuck
sail?

Hank on's rule. Tried and true, will not dis-appoint you in your moment
of need.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Joe wrote:
"Nothing or little to do" yeah right. If he did not have to go out on
the bow in the first place he would not have been knocked overboard.

How do you propose that he reduce sail out on the end of a
bowsprit, in the absence of a working roller furler?

Quite frankly, you're just being a belligerent dumb-ass here.

People have sailed around the world, literally battling Cape
Horn gales, with roller furlers. Those big steel "Wrong Way
Around" sloops have roller furlers.... of course, *those*
roller furlers get proper maintenance, while it would seem
that the boat in your story had maintnance issues with
everything. The roller furler was just one more thing on the
list.

I never said it was the reason he died, I just said roller furlers
suck.

Roller furlers suck if you're too stupid or lazy to make
sure they work properly.

Some people should not be allowed to operate any equipment
more complex than a shovel.

Seems they always fail in situations like this.

Wrong. They rarely fail in situations like this.

Hank on's rule. Tried and true, will not dis-appoint you in your moment
of need.

Why do you think a flogging, half-doused hank-on sail out at
the end of a bowsprit would be better than a roller furled one?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

Quite frankly, you're just being a belligerent dumb-ass here.

Hi there, Doug. Just thought I'd remind you when you engage in name
calling, since you seem to believe you seldom or never do.

Max