posted to alt.sailing.asa
SUZY

Default Nursing at Sea

Hi Sailors,

What is in your first aid kit on your sailboat?

SB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Great question!
We carry a very complete first aid kit, which Suzanne assembled from
several smaller kits. But the most significant item we carry is the
Philips HeartStart External Defibrillator. This cost us 1100.00, BUT
we carry it because Suzanne's father sails with us and has a heart
condition and also one of the girls we sail with has some heart
problems. As with the rest of our kit, we hope to not ever have the
need to use the AED.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Great question!
We carry a very complete first aid kit, which Suzanne assembled

from
several smaller kits. But the most significant item we carry is

the
Philips BREAST PUMP. This cost us 1100.00, BUT
we carry it because Suzanne's father sails with us.

sick

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Great question!
We carry a very complete first aid kit, which Suzanne assembled from
several smaller kits. But the most significant item we carry is the
Philips HeartStart External Defibrillator. This cost us 1100.00, BUT
we carry it because Suzanne's father sails with us and has a heart
condition and also one of the girls we sail with has some heart
problems. As with the rest of our kit, we hope to not ever have the
need to use the AED.

RB
35s5
NY

Do you have a big red cross painted on the side of the ship?

What are you sailing, a hospital boat?

Why don't your ailing friends get implantable defibrillators? If they are
that prone to heart problems, that's an indication for an implant.

Do you have an on board pulse-ox? Why not?

Do you have liability insurance for that defib? Remember, Suzy is a nurse,
she's no longer a good samaritan.

Hospital boat!

Bwaaahaahahaaahahahahaahahahahaaaaa!!!!!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"Capt" Rob ...
.... the most significant item we carry is the
Philips HeartStart External Defibrillator.

Do you know which symptoms to use it for? Do you know which
conditions it will not help?

Oddly enough, my wife & I were sitting around with some
sailing friends and this exact subject came up. Fortunately
there was a knowledgeable professional present who laid out
the basic facts very plainly.

Bob Crantz wrote:
Do you have a big red cross painted on the side of the ship?

What are you sailing, a hospital boat?

I don't think it's unreasonalbe to carry an AED, especially
for somebody to whom the cost (so important to Bubbles, he
had to mention it first) is trivial.

Why don't your ailing friends get implantable defibrillators? If they are
that prone to heart problems, that's an indication for an implant.

Yeah but then they wouldn't be depending on the generosity &
courage of Bobsprit.

Do you have an on board pulse-ox? Why not?

No, he carries a REAL ox... no wait, that may be a buffalo...

Do you have liability insurance for that defib? Remember, Suzy is a nurse,
she's no longer a good samaritan.

And that's a big big issue, especially in combination with
the requirement for coming to aid of other mariners.
Bobsprit could be sued by any boater nearby who had a
cardiac incident. No wonder he's so unwilling to go far from
his slip!

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

"Capt" Rob ...

Bob Crantz wrote:

[...]

My fear is that with the spread of these machines to local
establishments and businesses, more harm than hurt is going to
occur. And the thought of some little kid playing "doctor" on his
friends or siblings leaves me cold....
posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

katysails wrote:
My fear is that with the spread of these machines to local
establishments and businesses, more harm than hurt is going to occur.
And the thought of some little kid playing "doctor" on his friends or
siblings leaves me cold....

Well, my understanding is that the machines sold to the
public as Automatic External Defibrillators cannot be made
to shock a person who isn't already dead (ie no pulse). The
problem I see with the AEDs are that people will assume that
they're magical devices that eliminate the need for common
sense. After all, why worry about a heart attack when every
MacDonalds and every Jiffy Gas-N-Go has an AED handy?

Another issue is that there are a large number of people
whom these machines cannot help, and if the people on the
scene waste valuable time fooling around with an AED instead
of getting real medical aid, those people will suffer great
harm or death.

Regards
Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
katy wrote:
My fear is that with the spread of these machines to local
establishments and businesses, more harm than hurt is going to
occur. And the thought of some little kid playing "doctor" on his
friends or siblings leaves me cold....

I don't see how it could be an issue, since the unit will not work
if the condition isn't a match.

Of course, anything is possible I suppose...

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Do you have liability insurance for that defib? Remember, Suzy is a
nurse,
she's no longer a good samaritan.

Bad news for you ignorant folks....Suzanne is working for a heart
center, one of the best. She was trained to use the Phillips unit and
may even take a gig teaching others. She's now teaching me the basics.
We are NOT PERMITTED to use it on ANYONE ELSE. It's for two people and
even her father had to sign a special set of forms so that we can use
it on him legally.
Now the big question: Would we use it one someone when no other help
was feasable and death seemed certain otherwise?
Yes. Our finances are pretty much untouchable, so I'd try to save a
life rather than worrying about a lawsuit.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
DSK wrote:
"Capt" Rob ...
.... the most significant item we carry is the
Philips HeartStart External Defibrillator.

Do you know which symptoms to use it for? Do you know which
conditions it will not help?

Actually, all you have to do is suspect that it'll help. As soon as
you hook it up and stand clear, it will tell you if a shock is
applicable. They're pretty fool proof, even warning you to stand
clear, since you could possibly shock yourself if in contact with the
victim.

Oddly enough, my wife & I were sitting around with some
sailing friends and this exact subject came up. Fortunately
there was a knowledgeable professional present who laid out
the basic facts very plainly.

Hahaha...

No, he carries a REAL ox... no wait, that may be a buffalo...

Do you have liability insurance for that defib? Remember, Suzy is a nurse,
she's no longer a good samaritan.

And that's a big big issue, especially in combination with
the requirement for coming to aid of other mariners.
Bobsprit could be sued by any boater nearby who had a
cardiac incident. No wonder he's so unwilling to go far from
his slip!

You would need to be trained in its use to probably avoid liability as
a good samaritan... depending on your using it appropriately of
course.
--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com