posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default Democracy

Democracy is the form of government where 51% rule the other 49%.

Look at the Palestinian elections. Democracy voted in Hamas to majority.
Hamas is a terrorist organization.

Democracy guarantees mob rule. The US, thankfully has a Republic, a
Constitution founded on individual liberty and an educated, peaceful people.

Democracy in the Middle East may be a backfiring policy. Palestine has
backfired. Will Iraq backfire too? Warring, theological tribalism is the
culture of the people.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Bob Crantz wrote:
Democracy is the form of government where 51% rule the other 49%.

It depends on the rules.
And IMHO no person is ever ruled without their own consent.

Look at the Palestinian elections. Democracy voted in Hamas to majority.
Hamas is a terrorist organization.

Once they become a recognized gov't, they're "freedom fighters."

The funny thing is, the hard right in Israel has given more
land to the Palestinians than any more 'liberal' gov't has;
now we'll see if Hamas is going to try and govern by
ideology or settle down and make some progress.

Democracy guarantees mob rule. The US, thankfully has a Republic, a
Constitution founded on individual liberty and an educated, peaceful people.

Democracy in the Middle East may be a backfiring policy. Palestine has
backfired. Will Iraq backfire too? Warring, theological tribalism is the
culture of the people.

What makes you think the U.S. is any different?
http://www.austinlizards.com/songs/t...nt_mothers.mp3

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Doug,

We are different in that we are a people of laws guaranteed by the
constitution, which every elected Party is required to operate. If they
operate outside these laws they are required to face the LAW of the
PEOPLE in a Court of Law.

The Constitution isn't changed with each election

Ole Thom

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Israel seems to play games like that. I wonder if it plans
to take back the land it just gave away. I doubt they
would have given it back without pressure by the US
government. and GWB's direction.

I find it alarming that Israel's demand for a "right to
exist" is made strongly, while the Palestinian's "right
to exist" is often denied. If Hamas continues to be
militant, then nothing will have been accomplished.

"DSK" wrote
The funny thing is, the hard right in Israel has given more land to the
Palestinians than any more 'liberal' gov't has; now we'll see if Hamas is
going to try and govern by ideology or settle down and make some progress.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Thom Stewart wrote:
Doug,

We are different in that we are a people of laws guaranteed by the
constitution, which every elected Party is required to operate. If they
operate outside these laws they are required to face the LAW of the
PEOPLE in a Court of Law.

The Constitution isn't changed with each election

???

I didn't say that it was. Are you saying that other
countries, particularly those in the Middle East, do change
their constitution with every election? AFAIK they don't
either. As for Iraq, they didn't even have a constitution
until a month or so ago.

It may help clarify the situation that the Palestinians have
elected themselves a terrorist government, and the people in
sections of Iraq & Afghanistan not far behind. But it
doesn't help us in finding the answer of what to do about them.

Regards
Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
Israel seems to play games like that. I wonder if it plans
to take back the land it just gave away.

I doubt it, they don't have the resources to protect what
they've got now.

.... I doubt they
would have given it back without pressure by the US
government. and GWB's direction.

I find it alarming that Israel's demand for a "right to
exist" is made strongly, while the Palestinian's "right
to exist" is often denied. If Hamas continues to be
militant, then nothing will have been accomplished.

I don't think Hamas can continue to be ideologically
militant and actually run even a semi-functional gov't. The
most likely step I see is their seperation into two
branches, which will take them down the same path Arafat's
group went.

IMHO the denial of self-determination of the Palestinains by
Israel is a big part of their problem, they should have
allowed a seperate Palestinain state years ago. It would
help with their demgraphic problem, and when terrorists
lobbed missiles into Israel, they'd have an accountable
enemy to strike back against.

By the same token, statements like Iran's that Israel has no
right to exist should not be tolerated for one second by any
other nation. The silent assent by most of the Arab world
speaks volumes for where we are in "the peace process."

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

My Point well taken, Doug! Most non-democratic countrie's Rule of Law is
determined by the Ruler

Ole Thom.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Doug,

I don't want the discussion to slide off into something other than:
Democracy and how we are different.

It is already shifting to a discussion of Israel vs Palistine

Bye!

Ole Thom

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article . net,
Bob Crantz wrote:
Democracy is the form of government where 51% rule the other 49%.

Look at the Palestinian elections. Democracy voted in Hamas to majority.
Hamas is a terrorist organization.

Democracy guarantees mob rule. The US, thankfully has a Republic, a
Constitution founded on individual liberty and an educated, peaceful people.

Democracy in the Middle East may be a backfiring policy. Palestine has
backfired. Will Iraq backfire too? Warring, theological tribalism is the
culture of the people.

Well, according to your own first and second paragraphs, George
W. Bush is promoting "democracy," when he should in fact be promoting
the formation of republics.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article ,
DSK wrote:
The funny thing is, the hard right in Israel has given more
land to the Palestinians than any more 'liberal' gov't has;
now we'll see if Hamas is going to try and govern by
ideology or settle down and make some progress.

Actually, one of the reasons they won so big was because they're quite
good at solving (or at least improving) the problems that exist in the
communities, and they're considered to not be any where near as
corrupt as the PA.

--
Capt. JG @@
www.sailnow.com