posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Default C&C 99 vs 35s5

Do you even understand the significance of vacuum bagging?

We're talking aircraft grade fiberglass construction!

Not in your 35s5!

Amen!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does the 34XL have the same superior vacuum bag construction of the
99?

Epoxy hull as I recall...I don't remember the details. But as a coastal
cruiser it's even faster than the 99, has more room below, more
stowage, and even better cockpit and running backstays to drive you
nuts.
Doug listed the 34XL and + versions with centerboards as a viable
alternative to the 35s5 (one of the few), but they cost close to 100K,
driven up in price by the 99. Check it out...the 34XL is fantastic.
Very tough to get the C&C group says only a few CB versions were built.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Do you even understand the significance of vacuum bagging?

We're talking aircraft grade fiberglass construction!

But the popout-glued in ports on the C&C are a serious liability and
there are no known hull problems with either. I'll take the 35s5 with
ports that are proven offshore with two circumnavigations and a lot of
offshore racing. The new C&C's need to address this problem. Port leaks
are already a problem on C&C 99 and 110.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...
Do you even understand the significance of vacuum bagging?

Only on a Hoover.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

The ports are an easy fix.

Hull integrity is something else.

Aircraft construction!

Amen!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Do you even understand the significance of vacuum bagging?

We're talking aircraft grade fiberglass construction!

But the popout-glued in ports on the C&C are a serious liability and
there are no known hull problems with either. I'll take the 35s5 with
ports that are proven offshore with two circumnavigations and a lot of
offshore racing. The new C&C's need to address this problem. Port leaks
are already a problem on C&C 99 and 110.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

The ports are an easy fix.

Hull integrity is something else.

The ports are not an easy fix. Look at the shape of the ports. She is
not designed to deal with waves crashing down on them. Nor would I wish
to heavily modify the ports on a new boat. It's just a bad design point
on an otherwise good coastal sailor.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Swab Rob" wrote

We're talking aircraft grade fiberglass construction!

But I can't afford the 99.

No need to feel embarrassed.

SV

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bob Crantz

Slap some 5200 on the windows and all is done.

Krusty says windshields support the roof in cars in rollovers.

Must be so!

Amen!

Get the 99! Top quality!

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
The ports are an easy fix.

Hull integrity is something else.

The ports are not an easy fix. Look at the shape of the ports. She is
not designed to deal with waves crashing down on them. Nor would I wish
to heavily modify the ports on a new boat. It's just a bad design point
on an otherwise good coastal sailor.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Slap some 5200 on the windows and all is done.

Krusty says windshields support the roof in cars in rollovers.

Then you have a huge job when they need replacement and folks who tried
5200 still had leaks. Plexus is what we used and even that doesn't
last. C&C claimed that minimized flexing of the coach roof would make
the windows sound....and then the reports starting coming about leaks.
It's a bad design and very cheap to just glue windows in like that. You
can STAND on the ports of the 35s5 and they are rock solid, thicker
even than the hatches.
Face it, the 35s5 is a offshore capable boat, proven to be so. The C&C
is a racing toy...nice, but crippled by certain design points.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
DSK

"Capt" Rob wrote:
Face it, the 35s5 is a offshore capable boat, proven to be so. The C&C
is a racing toy...nice, but crippled by certain design points.

Based on your vast racing & offshore experienced?

BTW the 35s5 that was in our marina is gone, sold to
Florida. The owner has a new Jeanneau now, which he and his
wife both like a lot better (although they haven't had it
for more than a few months).

DSK

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

BTW the 35s5 that was in our marina is gone, sold to
Florida. The owner has a new Jeanneau now, which he and his
wife both like a lot better (although they haven't had it
for more than a few months).

I'm sure if we bought a new Jeanneau I'd like it better too. Just about
every 35s5 I looked at has sold since we bought ours, including the one
that had the mast dropped on the deck...and that boat sold for 56K.

RB
35s5
NY

35s5 vs Express 30 Capt. Rob ASA 34 December 13th 05 02:59 PM
35s5 vs. Express 30 Capt. Rob ASA 0 December 5th 05 11:44 AM
35s5 Continued.... Capt. Rob ASA 0 November 15th 05 11:31 PM
35s5 overall.... Capt. Rob ASA 0 November 15th 05 03:48 PM
C&C 38 whips 35s5 Everytime! Bob Crantz ASA 9 November 14th 05 04:45 PM