posted to alt.sailing.asa
Seahag

Default I got up this mornin'....

"katy" wrote:
Capt.Mooron wrote:
... and I knew it was butchering day.

... make stew out of Rasputin, the lead rooster, though,
since he was so athletic his muscles never unbunched....

Was he tough to kill?

Seahag

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Seahag wrote:
"katy" wrote:

Capt.Mooron wrote:

... and I knew it was butchering day.

... make stew out of Rasputin, the lead rooster, though,
since he was so athletic his muscles never unbunched....

Was he tough to kill?

Seahag

Heather did him in in a pique of anger when he went after her one
day....caught him with the fish net, ties him to the pear tree, and
slit his throat...she'd been threatening to do it every time he
raked her but he was so good with the hens I just let him
alone...once you have hold of them, all the fight goes out...they're
only brave if they're free...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Capt.Mooron wrote:
... and I knew it was butchering day.

Tally so far is 3 Roosters, bled, plucked and gutted. They'll be marinated
and on the BBQ tonite.

...and one Bobsprit, hooked , landed and I was going to fillet him, but
decided I had enough. So... back in the water he went. :-)

Yesterday I put up one of those Tarp Garages out back to allow me to place
the saws etc..... to do some work on the house renos. The building was
easy... but the floor was a bit of a hassle. I think I might use it as a
boat shelter for next season instead or tarping.

CM

Wow that is amazing, I woke up and choked a chicken too!
I have a picture of my hero the Commodore, and a DVD of brokeback
mountain.
Who could resist!

RB
35s5 Rainbow warrior
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Dry

And tomorrow you'll be out looking for a new set of China Clippers, you
would be better off eating a hunk of Michelin .

"Capt.Mooron" wrote:

... and I knew it was butchering day.

Tally so far is 3 Roosters, bled, plucked and gutted. They'll be marinated
and on the BBQ tonite.

...and one Bobsprit, hooked , landed and I was going to fillet him, but
decided I had enough. So... back in the water he went. :-)

Yesterday I put up one of those Tarp Garages out back to allow me to place
the saws etc..... to do some work on the house renos. The building was
easy... but the floor was a bit of a hassle. I think I might use it as a
boat shelter for next season instead or tarping.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Dry" wrote in message

And tomorrow you'll be out looking for a new set of China Clippers, you
would be better off eating a hunk of Michelin .

Naw Laddie.... bone out the meat and set it to a marinade. It works fine.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Capt.Mooron wrote:
"Dry" wrote in message

And tomorrow you'll be out looking for a new set of China Clippers, you
would be better off eating a hunk of Michelin .

Naw Laddie.... bone out the meat and set it to a marinade. It works fine.

CM

Why are raising Roosters to eat anywhy?

Let me guess Overproof and lime marinade.

Do you just leave them outside to freeze?

We use to do about 100 white leggerds a year. Clean and package them
all on one day.

Nothing like the smell of the kettle boiling and a big steaming pile of
feathers. That and headless chickens running all over the yard doing
acrobatics made for and interesting spring day. We would raise hens for
the eggs and replace the hens every year. Maybe one rooster to excite
the gals into laying but thats it.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"Joe" wrote in message
Why are raising Roosters to eat anywhy?

If you have a recipe for having hens lay only eggs with female birds....

Let me guess Overproof and lime marinade.

Nope....

Do you just leave them outside to freeze?

Sheesh.... they have feathers.

We use to do about 100 white leggerds a year. Clean and package them
all on one day.

Then you used either 20 people or an automatic plucker.

Nothing like the smell of the kettle boiling and a big steaming pile of
feathers. That and headless chickens running all over the yard doing
acrobatics made for and interesting spring day. We would raise hens for
the eggs and replace the hens every year. Maybe one rooster to excite
the gals into laying but thats it.

No headless chickens running, I use a cone and a blade... slice the artery,
and drive the blade in behind the eye to scramble the brain... let hang. 30
seconds in 140F water and hand pluck. Eviscerate and lay to a cooling tank.
Hang to dry.
No roosters needed to have hens lay..... it's all a matter of light.

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe

Capt.Mooron wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
Why are raising Roosters to eat anywhy?

If you have a recipe for having hens lay only eggs with female birds....

Let me guess Overproof and lime marinade.

Nope....

Do you just leave them outside to freeze?

Sheesh.... they have feathers.

We use to do about 100 white leggerds a year. Clean and package them
all on one day.

Then you used either 20 people or an automatic plucker.

What? Get the water boiling just dunk the bird for a few seconds and
the feathers fall off with ease into a steaming pile , not much pluking
involved. Just 4 of us.

Nothing like the smell of the kettle boiling and a big steaming pile of
feathers. That and headless chickens running all over the yard doing
acrobatics made for and interesting spring day. We would raise hens for
the eggs and replace the hens every year. Maybe one rooster to excite
the gals into laying but thats it.

No headless chickens running, I use a cone and a blade... slice the artery,
and drive the blade in behind the eye to scramble the brain...

Why the dramatics, just Pop the head of with axe, or pipe.

let hang. 30
seconds in 140F water and hand pluck.

Thats your problem the water is not hot enough.

Eviscerate and lay to a cooling tank.
Hang to dry.

No roosters needed to have hens lay..... it's all a matter of light.

Yeah I know, but we still had one most years.

Joe

CM

posted to alt.sailing.asa
katy

Joe wrote:
Capt.Mooron wrote:

"Dry" wrote in message

And tomorrow you'll be out looking for a new set of China Clippers, you
would be better off eating a hunk of Michelin .

Naw Laddie.... bone out the meat and set it to a marinade. It works fine.

CM

Why are raising Roosters to eat anywhy?

Let me guess Overproof and lime marinade.

Do you just leave them outside to freeze?

We use to do about 100 white leggerds a year. Clean and package them
all on one day.

Nothing like the smell of the kettle boiling and a big steaming pile of
feathers. That and headless chickens running all over the yard doing
acrobatics made for and interesting spring day. We would raise hens for
the eggs and replace the hens every year. Maybe one rooster to excite
the gals into laying but thats it.

Joe

When you buy a chick package, it's much cheaper to get unsexed and
just kill off the roosters at about 6-8 months....
You did your kill off in the spring? Most people I know do that in
October or November so you don't have to winter over and so that
you're not killing off moulting birds...
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt.Mooron

"katy" wrote in message

When you buy a chick package, it's much cheaper to get unsexed and just
kill off the roosters at about 6-8 months....

That may apply when you buy chicks... but we breed and hatch to suit our
turnover. That's the benifit of a rooster in the flock. We incubate and hand
raise ass the poultry except for mest birds. Then again, meat birds are
generally all male. For the extra roosters in our incubated hatch, I wait
until their plummage comes in and supply the ornate feathers to fly tyers
and whoever is interested.

You did your kill off in the spring? Most people I know do that in
October or November so you don't have to winter over and so that you're
not killing off moulting birds...

My birds moulted in December. Mind you they have a heated Hen House. They
are free ranged for a half day and return to roost at night. Alternately I
have a 12x12 coop attached with metal roof to offer a secure outdoor area.

I have a variety of heritage varieties, including Old English Bantam Game
Birds as well as Guinea fowl.

CM