posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default Tides Revisited

What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Spring new moon and full moon generally. I believe there's also a somewhat
rare event called a proxigeen tide (sp?)... happens when the moon is at its
closest point and a new? moon. (moon is between sun and earth, so that must
be right).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

oops. Jon is right.
The proxigean spring tide is when a new moon is at max perigee,
called the proxigee.
Happens once every 1.5 years.

SBV

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Spring new moon and full moon generally. I believe there's also

a somewhat
rare event called a proxigeen tide (sp?)... happens when the

moon is at its
closest point and a new? moon. (moon is between sun and earth,

so that must
be right).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message

What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

That's how you spell it... ahhhh....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Spring new moon and full moon generally. I believe there's also

a somewhat
rare event called a proxigeen tide (sp?)... happens when the

moon is at its
closest point and a new? moon. (moon is between sun and earth,

so that must
be right).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message

What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Hey... I think I was right on.. except for the spelling of proxigean, which
Scotty corrected. So, what's the answer?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
Close Jon. 1/2 point

"Capt. JG" wrote
Spring new moon and full moon generally. I believe there's also a
somewhat rare event called a proxigeen tide (sp?)... happens when the
moon is at its closest point and a new? moon. (moon is between sun and
earth, so that must be right).

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Another 1/2 point Jon. 1 point total for the question.

The greatest seasonal tidal extremes occur when the sun
and moon are aligned with the earth. We all know these
as spring tides. This is called syzygy. (ziz-i-gee). Syzygy
has the greatest influence on extreme tides.

The Sun is closest to the Earth on January 2nd. For this
reason, the tides tend to reach their greatest "seasonal
extreme" at the Full or New Moon nearest January 2nd.
The term for the closest approach of the Earth to the Sun
is Perihelion. Perihelion is the third greatest factor
contributing to tidal extremes.

Aperihelion is the farthest distance the Earth reached related
to the Sun. You can remember it by the letter "A" being the
same first letter as "away".

The closest approach of the Moon is another factor but
unrelated to the season. Again, the moon must be New or
Full, syzygy, at that time. The term for the closest approach
of the Moon to the Earth is Perigee. Perigee has the second
greatest impact on tidal extremes.

Apogee is the term for farthest (away) and we can use the
same mnemonic letter "A" to remember it stands for away.

Combining these three influences, one could predict the
next single greatest extreme would occur when the moon is
closest to the Earth, the Earth is closest to the Sun, and all
three planetary bodies are in syzygy. This will occur on 2
Jan 2018, like they did in early Jan 1999 when all three
factors contributed to extreme tides.

Rather than remembering odd years effect of perigee, it is
simpler to remember the Sun is closest in January, therefore
tides and currents will be higher and lower, and stronger,
respectively, during at syzygy in January.

What else? If a storm were to occur at that time, storm surge
would be particularly damaging.

This is what got me thinking about this. We just had a storm
coupled with a Full Moon, and Perihelion was just a few weeks
ago.

What other non-terrestrial influences do you think would
contribute to tidal extremes? In the Mid 80's something
interesting happened. Do you remember what it was?

"Capt. JG" wrote
Hey... I think I was right on.. except for the spelling of proxigean,
which Scotty corrected. So, what's the answer?

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote
Close Jon. 1/2 point

"Capt. JG" wrote
Spring new moon and full moon generally. I believe there's also a
somewhat rare event called a proxigeen tide (sp?)... happens when the
moon is at its closest point and a new? moon. (moon is between sun and
earth, so that must be right).

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote
What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Donal

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

March and September.

Do I get a point? I think that I derserve one after all these years!!!

Regards

Donal

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Incorrect, and 1 lash for begging! Don't act like a Swab!

"Donal" wrote

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote