BoatBanter.com

-   -   Tides Revisited (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/65275-tides-revisited.html)

Bart Senior January 13th 06 07:03 PM

Tides Revisited

What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

Capt. Rob January 13th 06 07:26 PM

Tides Revisited

No particular time of year. They happen during full moon and new moon
phases.

RB
35s5 Stronger than the tide
NY

Capt. JG January 13th 06 08:17 PM

Tides Revisited

Spring new moon and full moon generally. I believe there's also a somewhat
rare event called a proxigeen tide (sp?)... happens when the moon is at its
closest point and a new? moon. (moon is between sun and earth, so that must
be right).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Donal January 13th 06 11:48 PM

Tides Revisited

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

March and September.

Do I get a point? I think that I derserve one after all these years!!!

Regards

Donal

Scotty January 14th 06 12:40 AM

Tides Revisited

oops. Jon is right.
The proxigean spring tide is when a new moon is at max perigee,
called the proxigee.
Happens once every 1.5 years.

SBV

Capt. JG January 14th 06 02:13 AM

Tides Revisited

That's how you spell it... ahhhh....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Bart Senior January 14th 06 03:40 PM

Tides Revisited

12 lashes. I specified Spring Tide.

"Commodore Joe Redcloud©" wrote
"Bart Senior" .@. wrote:

What time of year do spring tides have the greatest extremes?

No particular time of year. They happen during full moon and new moon
phases.

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Bart Senior January 14th 06 03:40 PM

Tides Revisited