posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

Default Bye Bye Tookie

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Instead of sending them to Harvard, how about sending them to grade school
anf high school, and giving them an opportunity to go to college... that
would do way more than prison "reform."

Most of those cons for whom you'd like to offer up this opportunity were the
same ones that dropped out of school before. What makes you think they'll
do any better the second time around?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Errr... if you're a guy and you like young boys, I would think that would
qualify as being gay. But you seem to have some inside knowledge. g

No inside knowledge needed. One only has to read the papers and watch TV.
The Roman Catholic Church has been most "entertaining."

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
rgnmstr

Who advocated sending murderers to Harvard? You sure are an
excellent example of
how the U.S. public educational system fails for those who need it the
most. .

Hey indian, try to keep up. The discussion was about death row
inmates. You chimed in posting that Harvard would be cheaper than life
in prison. Now start paying attention or at least remembering what you
posted.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I don't believe there's much hope for them. However, there is hope for those
who have not yet been put away. There are opportunities in prison for high
school equivalency and beyond, but there's not much opportunity for when
prisoners are paroled.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
news

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Instead of sending them to Harvard, how about sending them to grade
school anf high school, and giving them an opportunity to go to
college... that would do way more than prison "reform."

Most of those cons for whom you'd like to offer up this opportunity were
the same ones that dropped out of school before. What makes you think
they'll do any better the second time around?

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

No one truly believes much reform is going on.

Actually, we know quite well how to prevent good guys from going bad. We
just don't avail ourselves of the opportunity.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
All pretense of reform was dropped many years ago. We can reform people
if we spent some time and money on the problem. However, instead, we're
spending our money elsewhere.

I don't think the pretense was abandoned. They are still called
"correctional facilities" and the guards are called "correctional
officers." I just love that politically correct BS.

As for spending elsewhere, I'm not sure it's a good investment to attempt
to rehabilitate someone who has been damaging to society, especially in
light of the fact that such attempts have been largely fruitless. Until
we really learn how to make a bad guy good, I think it's wasted effort and
money.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I can't help it now... every time I see a priest, I think "child molester."

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Errr... if you're a guy and you like young boys, I would think that would
qualify as being gay. But you seem to have some inside knowledge. g

No inside knowledge needed. One only has to read the papers and watch TV.
The Roman Catholic Church has been most "entertaining."

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Thom Stewart

Max,

Most will be turned loose on Society. If They aren't reformed I sure as
Hell don't think it is a good investment. Do you?

Max, I'm finished with this discussion. It's a NO WIN proposition.

I'm glad Tookie is dead. That is one problem solved; and for good!

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scout

When I see a nun, I think "child abuser"
The priests have managed to overshadow the vicious beatings we took as kids
in catholic classrooms. I'm not just talking a slap on the wrist, but
violent thrashings for minor infractions. I took a few myself, although my
wife might argue that they straightened me out. Almost lost my hearing
thanks to Sister Rose Marie. She needed some serious anger management.
Scout

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I can't help it now... every time I see a priest, I think "child molester."

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

Errr... if you're a guy and you like young boys, I would think that
would qualify as being gay. But you seem to have some inside knowledge.

No inside knowledge needed. One only has to read the papers and watch
TV. The Roman Catholic Church has been most "entertaining."

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
jlrogers

So what you're saying is that the schools educate and mold character.
Now that's funny!

"Commodore Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 05:25:23 GMT, "Maxprop" wrote:

"Commodore Joe Redcloud" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:40:12 -0800, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

All pretense of reform was dropped many years ago. We can reform people
if
we spent some time and money on the problem. However, instead, we're
spending our money elsewhere.

For what it costs to keep someone in a federal prison, you could send
them
Harvard for the same period of time. When they get out of Harvard, they
could
find a job that pays a lot more than being a punk crook or low level
drug
dealer.

So what you're saying is that if you wish to attend Harvard, don't waste
time studying your ass off, achieving excellent grades and accumulating
academic awards? Rather just break into a store and steal something?

Max

You are apparently on an intellectual par with Sloco. I never suggested
sending
convicted criminals to Harvard. I merely pointed out that a very high
quality
education was less expensive than keeping someone in prison. The problem
in the
US is that people think providing a good education is too expensive and
raises
their taxes. My feeling is that if we gave kids the absolutely best
education
possible, rather than the half-hearted system we have now, there would be
fewer
candidates for prison, and our net cost would be lower.

Prevent the problem up front, instead of trying to patch it afterwards.

Commodore Joe Redcloud

posted to alt.sailing.asa
jlrogers

So what you're saying is, ...no chance in hell, or the USA.

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:18:19 GMT, "jlrogers" wrote:

So what you're saying is that the schools educate and mold character.
Now that's funny!

No, I'm saying that they "could" if things were done with the idea of
doing the
best possible job, rather than the minimum allowable by law.

wrote:

m...