posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Isn't sailing supposed to be fun?

"A word about performance and weight on the PDQ 36. We chartered a 1998
model in Florida from FYC for two weeks. Once loaded down with the 3
adults and 1 child along with our supplies the impressive speed we
noted previously was cut by a large margin. The boat was very slow to
tack, much slower off the wind and poor upwind. Other PDQ owners noted
this and of course it's a well known foible of the design, but I was
not prepared to due so much powersailing in anything below 10 knots of
air. A year earlier we had chartered a Catalina 400, loaded down with 4
of us again and the boat hardly seemed to notice the weight. I feel
that PDQ's performance claims reflect a bare boat and not the real
world. Well off the wind and in 17 knots of breeze we were still able
to touch 10 knots, which is certainly impressive on it's own. But on
the whole, as a sailing experience for our family, we find monohulls
more satisfying. Our 8 year old loved the PDQ when she saw it, but
under sail her enthusiasm faded as the boat was essentially a floating
home with virtually no fun-factor under sail. At anchor was another
matter as no 36 foot and few 40 foot monhulls will be as comfortable.
So in the end I think it's best to ask yourself: Do you want to sail
for the sake of travel and comfort or for the sailing experience
itself? For the latter, the PDQ 36 came up short. "

RB
35s5...a damn fun boat!
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Al in all, multis are sailed well by those with a far greater feel and
ability than is evident in the majority of mono plodders.

Typical comment from a multi owner! And the ugliest one I've ever seen
to boot...

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
RB
35s5...a damn fun boat!
NY

Sailing is great fun.
You should try it sometime.

Bwahahahahahhahhahhahahhahahhahahhahahahhahhahahah hahahhahaha

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

ailing is great fun.
You should try it sometime.

You finally got rid of that Catalina 28 and found some sailing fun?
Good for you! What did you get?

Catalina 28 PHRF 185!!!!
Consider that the older, but much nicer C&C 29 MK2 rates 171 and is a
much pretier boat. Of course numbers aren't everything. The C&C is a
rewarding boat to sail, the Catalina isn't.

The dull 28..
http://www.sailboatowners.com/boats/...na/28main.jpeg

The gentleman's Yacht C&C 29....
http://www.yachting.qc.ca/puces/Phot.../041025_2a.jpg

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Swab Rob" wrote

The dull 28..
http://www.sailboatowners.com/boats/...na/28main.jpeg

Nice looking boat.

Scotty

Why thank you, always thought so myself.
Wonder if the boob will take up sailing?

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"Swab Rob" wrote

The dull 28..
http://www.sailboatowners.com/boats/...na/28main.jpeg

Nice looking boat.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Why thank you, always thought so myself.

A Catalina 28 looks like a Catalin 31 looks like a Catalina 27 looks
like a Catalina 32.......it's clonetastic!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

He's got the nicest boat, maybe this

Thank you!

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

"John Cairns" wrote in
message t...

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Swab Rob" wrote

The dull 28..

http://www.sailboatowners.com/boats/...na/28main.jpeg

Nice looking boat.

Scotty

Why thank you, always thought so myself.

Is that yours, or like yours?

Wonder if the boob will take up sailing?

He's got a nice new boat, maybe this year he'll get 5 or so miles
from his slip. maybe, knot.

Scotty

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

"Scotty" wrote in message

"John Cairns" wrote in
message t...

"Scotty" wrote in message

"Swab Rob" wrote

The dull 28..

http://www.sailboatowners.com/boats/...na/28main.jpeg

Nice looking boat.

Scotty

Why thank you, always thought so myself.

Is that yours, or like yours?

Yeah, pretty much exactly. The Mark II has stern rail seats in each corner,
a different pedestal/wheel, and all of the wooden bits removed from the
exterior, a definite improvement in my book. Still trying to find a local
broker with anew boat so I can get some measurements, replace all of my
wooden bits with stainless and plastic parts from Catalina Direct.

John Cairns

Wonder if the boob will take up sailing?

He's got a nice new boat, maybe this year he'll get 5 or so miles
from his slip. maybe, knot.

Yeah, maybe pigs will fly.

John Cairns

Scotty