posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default The Fastest Boats

Rather than throw around a lot of BS like many others here, I'm now
going to rate the 3 FASTEST racer/cruiser boats here, PERIOD. So here
we go....

#1 Donal's 33.7: Yup, it's probably a bit faster than my 35s5 with
it's deep fin and higher pointing. Maybe on a reach I'd have him in
some conditions, but the 33.7 is a more advanced and refined hull. The
35s5 has it beat for cruising with a nicer interior.

#2 RB's 35s5: A fast boat that has beaten Express 35's and First 38s
boat for boat, but there's no doubt that it takes a skilled crew to get
the speed potential from this hull. Every owner says typical speed is
great, but wringing out the top end is work.

#3 Loco's Express: While old and dated, boats like the Express 30,
Santana 30/30 and J30 can still be wickedly fast boats that will blow
past most newer 30 footers. An Express 30 may be rated a bit slower,
but it could beat my 35s5 or the 33.7 on any given day.

All three of the boats above represent excellent mating of the cruising
boat and racer. The 35s5 has the best cabin by far, but the 33.7 has
the merits of a much newer design. The Express 30 is quite inexpensive
and like the J30 offer folks seeking more speed a way in without
breaking the bank.

RB
35s5
NY0.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Any similar in length multi will blow away a mono if the multi is just off
the wind.

In fact, my old windrider 16, could torch just about any mono I encountered,
even pointing high. I could and did do donuts around 35 foot monos, even
though the windrider stopped everytime it encountered chop larger than a
couple of feet. That was in 20+ kts in the north SF bay. Down south in light
air, I beat every boat off Dana Point (mostly a beam reach) except a 45 foot
catamaran, though I pretty much kept up with them until I gave up at about 3
miles off the coast.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

oups.com...

#1 Donal's 33.7: Yup, it's probably a bit faster than my 35s5 with

#2 RB's 35s5: A fast boat that has beaten Express 35's and First 38s
boat for boat, but there's no doubt that it takes a skilled crew to get
the speed potential from this hull. Every owner says typical speed is
great, but wringing out the top end is work.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Any similar in length multi will blow away a mono if the multi is just
off
the wind.

Exactly, and I'm talking about performance here which includes not
always being off the wind. The PDQ is also not a racer/cruiser which I
specified. It's a long range family cruiser only. It doesn't even fit
into the comparison.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Exactly.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message news
On 28 Nov 2005 14:45:30 -0800, "Capt. Rob"
scribbled thusly:

Any similar in length multi will blow away a mono if the multi is just
off
the wind.

Exactly, and I'm talking about performance here which includes not
always being off the wind. The PDQ is also not a racer/cruiser which I
specified. It's a long range family cruiser only. It doesn't even fit
into the comparison.

RB
35s5
NY

"just off the wind" means in this case, slightly sprung sheets.

You know, the way most people not racing sail their monos.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

"just off the wind" means in this case, slightly sprung sheets.

You know, the way most people not racing sail their monos.

I'm afraid that;s just not true. Just about everyone I know enjoys
tweaking and pushing their boats upwind. It's pretty silly to suggest
that everyone sails at 45 or 50% upwind when not racing, folks.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

I don't think you get the point, folks. We can't race a PDQ 36. And
we'd like to try some racing for fun. The PDQ is simply built for a
different purpose and can't be compared to racer/cruisers which offer a
much different sailing experience. Why not throw Doug's trawler into
the mix and say it's the fastest?

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

I have no f*cking idea.... sigh.... I think my original reason was that I
can sail for free and the WR was very wet in the north bay.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
Why did you get rid of it, Jon?

Scotty

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Any similar in length multi will blow away a mono if the multi

is just off
the wind.

In fact, my old windrider 16, could torch just about any mono I

encountered,
even pointing high. I could and did do donuts around 35 foot

monos, even
though the windrider stopped everytime it encountered chop

larger than a
couple of feet. That was in 20+ kts in the north SF bay. Down

south in light
air, I beat every boat off Dana Point (mostly a beam reach)

except a 45 foot
catamaran, though I pretty much kept up with them until I gave

up at about 3
miles off the coast.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rather than throw around a lot of BS like many others here,

I'm now
going to rate the 3 FASTEST racer/cruiser boats here, PERIOD.

So here
we go....

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Now that's just BS....No-One our for a cruise around the bay will put
as much effort into trimming, tweaking and maintaining max VMG...ever!

Of my many sailing friends, all but two of us are racers. Aboard their
boats it's ALWAYS a race. Always tweaking, always pushing. I learned a
lot this summer because of that and I plan to push the 35s5 as well.
It's fun. This thread was started as: Fastest Racer/Cruisers. See the
opening post. Multihulls simply don't qualify and only one person in
this whole group seems to want one. I certainly don't know anyone who
wants one. Most of us dream of Baltics and Swans, not PDQ's or Prouts.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
Any similar in length multi will blow away a mono if the multi is just
off
the wind.

Exactly, and I'm talking about performance here which includes not
always being off the wind. The PDQ is also not a racer/cruiser which I
specified. It's a long range family cruiser only. It doesn't even fit
into the comparison.

We don't have the polars for your boat or mine, and I'll even concede
that mine, as configured (without tall rig, with diesels, loaded for
cruising, etc.) doesn't have scintillating upwind performance, but:

The polars for the big version of mine, the PDQ 42, can be compared to
the big version of yours, the Farr designed 40.7, a hot racing
machine. They show that while the Bene might point a few degrees
higher, the PDQ will walk away from it *upwind* in winds over 12
knots. In 16 knots, for instance, the Bene is pointing at 38 degrees
with a VMG of 5.37, while the PDQ is at 42 degrees with a VMG of 5.88.
If you compare the boats point for point, you find that the only
significant advantage the Bene has is upwind in winds under 10 knots
and less. Even in 6 knots of wind, the PDQ is walking away from the
Bene off the wind.

Gas Hog Cars, same phenomenon as boats [email protected] General 19 November 10th 05 07:56 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
Fiberglass loss of strength Mic Cruising 1 October 15th 05 08:03 PM