Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default Sloco's Cars

Poor Sloco, now with a slower boat also has a slower car. He seems to
question the "maturity" of sports cars, while driving a retirement
vehicle perhaps even more dated than his boat. His only defense seems
to be that the builders "fixed" some of the problems. Wonderful.
Why is that a car like my Tribeca comes out and it's better than ALL
American cars from day one? The LSC is still not a match for a Acura RL
or quite frankly even lower end Japanese cars.
But getting back to the STI and EVO....you can't even find anything
less than RAVES....

"Actually, we're flying through this convoluted course, working the
sporty Momo steering wheel and plying a Prodrive six-speed gearbox with
the turbo-charged and inter-cooled engine whining and Potenza rubber
wailing, all simply to see just what this thing can do. And it can do a
lot. We're talking pin-your-ears-to-the-seat accelerations and
king-of-the-street speeds in a relatively lightweight four-door package
patterned after World Rally Championship (WRC) race cars."

"With up to 14.5 psi of maximum boost this four-cylinder engine gives a
power to weight and displacement ratios that are remarkable even for
some racecars. The result is 0 to 60 times in the low, very low,
five-second range. Yes, folks, this is an all wheel drive sedan with a
nice sized trunk that is as fast as the much more expensive Corvette. "

"For about $33,000 you can own one of the fastest cars in the world and
still take the family to the local supermarket, or just revel in the
fact that the Subaru WRX STi, even with its 300 horsepower, gets 22 mpg
on premium."

"At some point, with two cars so evenly matched, it comes down to the
driver's abilities rather than the cars'. We believe the average driver
will find probing the outer limits of his abilities easier in the
Subaru, but a talented driver will be able to outrun him in the
Mitsubishi--barely."

"This is what world class means. Provided you've got someplace to drive
your STI as it's meant to be driven, it's hard to imagine having more
car fun for 33 grand. However, if you don't live in rural Germany or
own your own racetrack you probably won't ever get more than a hint of
what this remarkable automobile is capable of. "

"The STI and EVO are simply at the top of the class and would remain so
at twice the price."

Sloco knows cars, Folks!

RB
35s5