posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Default A Boat for a Hero

Does your boat have a swim platform that helps to make it a safer
vessel? Or do you own a death trap like Sloco's Depress 30? Looks like
the 35s5 is designed for speed, comfort....and LIFESAVING!

MORE AMERICAN HEROES
The crew of Commotion, Ross Hunton, Astrid Hunton, Garie Blackwell
Wood, and Charlie Baumgartner, will receive the Arthur B. Hanson Rescue
Medal in recognition of their actions on July 22, 2001. US Sailing
Safety at Sea Committee member Cai Svendsen will make the presentation
Saturday, October 13 during the Columbus Day Regatta winners dinner in
Miami, FL.

Taking their turn as Race Committee for the day, Ross Hunton, and crew
went out in the 20 to 25 knot winds, and 3 to 5 foot seas for the start
at the Gulfstream Sailing Club in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Air and water
temperatures were in the low 80s.

One and a half miles offshore, the crew saw something off to the side,
which turned out to be three scuba divers who had been separated from
their boat for more than an hour. The wind and waves continued to
build; Hunton called that the dive flag tethered to the divers be
reeled in, to prevent it from entangling the propeller on his Beneteau
35S5. When Ross came head to wind and stopped, the wind and waves
quickly blew the bow down away from their target. During the next pass,
he lay the boat ahull, drifting down on the divers position. When in
range, Ross' crew deployed three lines, one to each diver to provide
connection. Each was reeled over to the swim ladder in the scooped
transom, and was amazed to see how well this worked, hauling three
exhausted two-hundred pound men, plus their scuba equipment on board.

The US Sailing Arthur B. Hanson Rescue Medal is given to skippers of
pleasure boats or race support vessels who effect rescues of victims
from the water. The award is made for rescues in U.S. waters, or in
races that originate or terminate in a U.S. port. The Rescue Medal has
been in existence for twelve years and is administered by US Sailing's
Safety-at-Sea Committee (SASC).

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jonathan Ganz

In article .com,
Capt. Rob wrote:
Does your boat have a swim platform that helps to make it a safer
vessel? Or do you own a death trap like Sloco's Depress 30? Looks like
the 35s5 is designed for speed, comfort....and LIFESAVING!

I'm not sure that retrieving people like this in the conditions
described are something that I would want to try. I'm glad it worked
this time, but I would be concerned trying to get someone aboard from
the stern of a boat (scoop or not), since whatever hobby horsing the
boat does would tend to cause the boat to come down on the head of the
person being retrieved from the stern. Also, using a ladder of the
stern has the potential to jam people's fingers/hands/arms/stuff.
Also, you're pretty close to the prop, and if you had to start or
engage the engine, you would be putting people at risk.

Clearly, what they did worked, so it's hard to be critical, but it
sure wouldn't be my first choice. These are fairly typical conditions
where I sail, add very cold water, and I've practiced retrieving
someone. We definitely kept them away from the stern.

MORE AMERICAN HEROES
Taking their turn as Race Committee for the day, Ross Hunton, and crew
went out in the 20 to 25 knot winds, and 3 to 5 foot seas for the start
at the Gulfstream Sailing Club in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Air and water
temperatures were in the low 80s.

Also, I'm not sure I would be concerned with the equipment in an
emergency situation. Again, it was nice that it was retrieved, but
that's secondary to getting the people on the boat. The modern stuff
(which I'm assuming they had, but in any case) includes a BC as part
of the tank, so if the equipment was disconnected from the diver, it
would still float.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
rgnmstr

Exactly why the Boob is a boob. In rough conditions you bring someone
back on board at max beam.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

Exactly why the Boob is a boob. In rough conditions you bring someone
back on board at max beam.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm always saddened by morons like Sloco giving
out dumb and dangerous advice. I'm sure those rescued divers are glad
Sloco wasn't the boat on the scene (he probably would have been calling
for help anyway!).

While professional rescue crews employ vessels purpose built for
emergencies, the recreational boater may find themselves involved in a
rescue operation. This can happen when:
1) They are first on the scene.
2) The rescue vessel instructs them to assist is a specific manner.
Because a recreational vessel is not designed for rescue, the crew must
evaluate the conditions and risks carefully. There are no hard and fast
rules for bringing people aboard, but the order of the day is speed. A
human being, submersed for even short periods, can experience heart
failure. The motion of the vessel in bad weather can pose additional
risks, threatening to crush a person as the boat is tossed by wave
action. Powerboats are generally advised to retrieve a victim at the
rear quarter, just aft of the widest point of beam. Sailing vessels,
which may have a more predictable and controlled motion may try this,
and also from the stern, especially when making some headway. Again,
the specific state of seas and motion of the vessel may dictate
different tactics.

What a dick, Sloco is. These guys rescue some divers using a
recreational sailboat and a swim platform, get a medal, and like a
little girl he's gonna tell them that they saved lives wrong!!!!

RB
35s5 XL, WK 34-09
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob

The motion of the vessel in bad weather can pose additional
risks, threatening to crush a person as the boat is tossed by wave

Exactly the point of not bringing them to the stern.

Jonathan, I'm not the author of those comments. They're from my Colgate
book. The bottom line illustrated by the rescue is that they found a
workable solution. The boat may have been rolling or other problems or
perhaps they could not get the divers to drop their gear (which was in
fact the case). You do what works and a swim platform, while not the
best first method, does offer yet another rescue option.

RB

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Gary

Capt. Rob wrote:
The motion of the vessel in bad weather can pose additional

risks, threatening to crush a person as the boat is tossed by wave

Exactly the point of not bringing them to the stern.

Jonathan, I'm not the author of those comments. They're from my Colgate
book. The bottom line illustrated by the rescue is that they found a
workable solution. The boat may have been rolling or other problems or
perhaps they could not get the divers to drop their gear (which was in
fact the case). You do what works and a swim platform, while not the
best first method, does offer yet another rescue option.

RB

Come on guys, throw the guy a line, bring him aboard where it's easiest.
Probably on the scoop/swim platform on this boat. Certainly not on my
double ender.

Shove the colgate book.
posted to alt.sailing.asa
Scotty

Default A Boat for a Zero

Super Duper Pooper Scooper

posted to alt.sailing.asa
John Cairns

Default A Boat for a coward

"Capt. Rob" barfed out these gems
oups.com...
Does your boat have a swim platform that helps to make it a safer
vessel? Or do you own a death trap like Sloco's Depress 30? Looks like
the 35s5 is designed for speed, comfort....and LIFESAVING!

Bwahaahhahahhahahhahahhahhahaha

Paint it yellow.

John Cairns

posted to alt.sailing.asa
rgnmstr

You do what works and a swim platform, while not the
best first method, does offer yet another rescue option.

Well gee that's not what you said a few posts back.
Remember: "Wrong, wrong, wrong"
Pick yourself up, brush off and try to learn something about boating.

Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 01:23 AM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM