Capt. Rob

Default Boat Search-Ready at Last

Enjoy your Depessasaur 30!.

All the time. We picked up more trophies this summer.

WOW! Too bad that doesn't make your boat faster or nicer than mine!!!
Too bad you still own a tired looking design! Have fun playing with
your trophies!

RB

Capt. Rob

So Bob... what type of sound are you looking for when applying a whack
with
a 28oz waffle faced framing hammer to the gelcoat??

Generally, when sounding a cored deck for water and voids I listen for
a sharp report. Dull sounds are reason for further inspection, but
before all of this you need to go below and note where hardware points
are, including fixtures. Different decks make different sounds of
course! If the boat has a liner, it should be removed if at all
posiblle. Even if you have little experience you can sound a deck. It's
pretty easy to hear the differences. Once you locate an area, the meter
(I use a GRP 33) can find possible wet core. Bulkheads and other
structural elements can also give you false leade..pretty easy to
figure out. If the meter can be used on the underside of the deck,
that's also a big help. Same goes for the hull.
I've worked with several surveyors and they all have their little
tricks, but it's not rocket science. Nothing beats experience. I do my
own pre-survey which is more extensive than what most people do. For
the 35s5 the surveyor found 3 things I missed...a bad fuel hose clamp,
a dying sanitation hose...and most serious of all, a poorly located
thru hull for the air conditioning that will have to be relocated.
Other than that she surveyed out like a new boat.

RB

rgnmstr

Nothing beats experience. I do my
own pre-survey which is more extensive than what most people do..

LOL .................................................. ................

Jeff

Capt. Rob wrote:
How did you sail it without the mast stepped?

LOL. We'll UNSTEP the mast in a couple of weeks. Trying to find a
one-way on the shipping ASAP.

If I had a boat down in FL now, I'd be tempted to leave it rigged for
a while and take a little vacation.
Capt. Rob

Nothing beats experience. I do my
own pre-survey which is more extensive than what most people do..

LOL .................................................. ................

It just kills poor Loco. I'm actually making money with boats and
working with yards and surveyors. Now I have a WAY nicer boat. And he's
sitting around waiting to daysail his Depress 30!!!

RB

Capt. Rob

LOL. We'll UNSTEP the mast in a couple of weeks. Trying to find a
one-way on the shipping ASAP.

If I had a boat down in FL now, I'd be tempted to leave it rigged for
a while and take a little vacation.

Believe me...I feel the same way. We'll be in Tampa for 1 week, but
it's mostly to see Suzanne's family. I'm afraid with won't be able to
use the boat until Spring. I did have a great sail yesterday all the
same on her.

RB

rgnmstr

It just kills poor Loco. I'm actually making money with boats and
working with yards and surveyors. .

Boob, outside of the Matrix your working in the marine business is
small potatos.

Capt. Rob

That
said, it is still perfectly useful since it can be used to note
comparative measurements from location to location.

I also had the Tramax Skipper which I didn't like. Every surveyor I've
dealt with had the GRP 33. But nobody misses sounding the deck and
hull. You can't rely on a meter to tell you about voids without a
proper sounding. My 35s5 was surveyed by Todd Delaney who basically
felt you should sound first, then back it up with a meter, which is how
I work. Chapman School of Seamanship rated the GRP 33 the best meter.
For 310.00 it's a worthwhile tool to keep around.

RB

Capt. Rob

Boob, outside of the Matrix your working in the marine business is
small potatos.

But my potatos mean I don't pay any yard bills. I haven't had to paint
my boat or pay for any service in two years. Not bad for having fun!
Think I'll keep those potatos!

RB

DSK

... What were you taking the hammer
for, to
check for dry rot in the planking?

Capt. Rob wrote:
Sound the deck before using the meter. We the deck to be 100% dry with
a small one inch void only in the starboard side deck.

What bone head gave you that advice?

In rea life, if you show up to look at a boat for sale, and want to use
a hammer to "sound" the decks, the owner (or his rep) would yank it away
from you and smack you with it.

DSK

Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
re-floating a capsized boat CJ2 ASA 0 October 14th 05 01:39 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM