rgnmstr

Default My Boat is....

Then again I'm
getting a boat with a inventory of mylar sails that you'd never own.

More shoot from the hip comments. I hope you never get involved with
off track betting.

Capt. Rob

More shoot from the hip comments. I hope you never get involved with
off track betting.

What type of sails do you own? Are they nearly new mylar sails?

RB

Thom Stewart

Hey Nutsy,

If you're trucking it up, please post pictures of her bottom. Did you
say she has a Wing Keel? Is she does, she'll do well in the Sound. A
wing keel and good bottom should get you to a lot of better anchorages
early.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/Pneuma

Capt. Rob

If you're trucking it up, please post pictures of her bottom. Did you
say she has a Wing Keel? Is she does, she'll do well in the Sound. A
wing keel and good bottom should get you to a lot of better anchorages
early.

That's right, Thom. We sought out the wing because of the Sound. I
spoke to a lot of owners and the loss of performance is very small. The
advantages of the shallow draft is well worth it. Her current owner
says the wing is faster on a close reach than his previous deep draft
and he can't tell the difference in pointing. He finds the wing slower
downwind.
You're welcome to come for a sail anytime.

RB

Capt.Mooron

I would certainly hope your vessel is faster than mine..... in the harbour!
Let's go play in a big sea way and see how she handles with that sugar scoop
transom! :-)

CM

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
Faster than Mooron's, Scotty's, Jeff's, Stevie's, Loco's, Katy's,
Joe's, Neal's and so on!!!

Whooo hooo!

RB

Capt. Rob

would certainly hope your vessel is faster than mine..... in the
harbour!
Let's go play in a big sea way and see how she handles with that sugar
scoop
transom! :-)

I think the 35s5 will still be faster, but I might turn bright green
around the gills proving it!

RB

Capt.Mooron

"Capt. Rob" wrote in message
ups.com...
would certainly hope your vessel is faster than mine..... in the
harbour!
Let's go play in a big sea way and see how she handles with that sugar
scoop
transom! :-)

I think the 35s5 will still be faster, but I might turn bright green
around the gills proving it!

Would be fun to try though. I've sailed in heavy sea states with a few
larger, light to moderate displacement boats and found Overproof really has
no problem maintaining pace with the larger boats. I don't know if it's the
mass or design... but she maintains a steady speed under a larger canvas and
is well mannered in even the roughest seas. The easier your vessel handles a
rough sea the less taxing it is on the crew..... but again that only
matters if that is where you sail.

Remember Bob..... fast is nice, but seriously.... we're talking a few knots
which only matter if you are racing..... and you won't be racing with the
little one aboard. I think it's a nice design for what you have in mind. I'd
like to see how it compares to the Niagara 35. I raced against one several
times in Charity Races and beat them 2 out of 3 with a line honours on one
race. [Qualifier- down wind in 36 knots gusting to 45+... Overproof was the
only vessel in the fleet capable of sailing dead down wind with full canvas.
Everyone else had to broad reach, reefed hard.]

Good Luck with the boat.

CM

DSK

Capt.Mooron wrote:
Let's go play in a big sea way and see how she handles with that sugar
scoop
transom! :-)

Why would a 'sugar scoop' transom be a problem in a seaway, given
mostly-competent design & construction of the boat?

"Capt. Rob" wrote
I think the 35s5 will still be faster, but I might turn bright green
around the gills proving it!

Would be fun to try though. I've sailed in heavy sea states with a few
larger, light to moderate displacement boats and found Overproof really has
no problem maintaining pace with the larger boats.

That's because they were either not fast boats to begin with, or because
they were incompetently sailed.

On it's best day, your boat is going to have a very hard time putting in
200+ miles days, which should be easily achievable with a racier boat in
good driving conditions.

When it gets up to survival conditions, your boat probably does have edge.

... The easier your vessel handles a
rough sea the less taxing it is on the crew..... but again that only
matters if that is where you sail.

Ageed.

Remember Bob..... fast is nice, but seriously.... we're talking a few knots
which only matter if you are racing.....

And not even then if you have a fair handicap.

... and you won't be racing with the
little one aboard.

Or at all, really.

But there's no reason why a *good* sailing family wouldn't include
toddlers on board. I've seen it done fairly often.

..I think it's a nice design for what you have in mind. I'd
like to see how it compares to the Niagara 35. I raced against one several
times in Charity Races and beat them 2 out of 3 with a line honours on one
race. [Qualifier- down wind in 36 knots gusting to 45+... Overproof was the
only vessel in the fleet capable of sailing dead down wind with full canvas.
Everyone else had to broad reach, reefed hard.]

Would you call a Niagra 35 a "light to moderate displacement" boat? It's
SA/D is a whopping 16 and the D/L is 350! Very nice boat, but hardly
what anybody is going to consider "racy."

As for going DDW in a blow, it can be done... and is done... pretty
regularly by good racing crews, unless it's faster to reach. Shucks,
I've raced Lightnings and 470s, including a few memorable spinnaker
runs, in winds north of 40 knots. It's fun!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Procedure of Buying a Boat in New Jersey? [email protected] General 7 November 7th 05 04:39 PM
Who Am I Skipper General 38 October 19th 05 07:50 PM
re-floating a capsized boat CJ2 ASA 0 October 14th 05 01:39 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM