DSK

Default Had a nice sail

Ole Thom wrote:
... Just because I still use webTV doesn't mean I'm some
computer illiterate, you know.

Actually it means youo're immune to computer viruses and dont'' have to
worry about spyware or stupid Active-X, Java, etc etc.

Had a nice sail today with moderate winds and fair skys for once.
Something happened to me though that never happened before.I got
the main up and unfurled the genny and even though the winds were
moderate, the boat just wasn't getting anywhere. After an hour or
so of this I noticed I had forgotten to untie the dock lines. Felt
kinda dumb.

Why? Bobsprit does it all the time, only on purpose.

I hope you really had a good time on the boat, whatever you did.

Gotta go load up the car with supplies for the coming week's boat projects.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Thom Stewart

Doug,

Any post with a Time post PDT+ is a FORGERY.

Neal has turned vicious and mean. He has made it his major retirement
occupation. He has, is effect made A.S. ASA a very useless discussion
group. It is his life now. He has no other. I leave the group to him,
because he's won it

For what it is worth, it's his victory! ASA is his.

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal®

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Doug,

Any post with a Time post PDT+ is a FORGERY.

Neal has turned vicious and mean. He has made it his major retirement
occupation. He has, is effect made A.S. ASA a very useless discussion
group. It is his life now. He has no other. I leave the group to him,
because he's won it

For what it is worth, it's his victory! ASA is his.

Ole Thom

Ole Thom,

What happened to your usual keen insight and sense of humor?
Poking fun at someone is often a sign that the pokee is loved
and appreciated and part of a group. Why ostracize yourself?

If I were to take it personally and get upset every time somebody
slams me up against a wall, I would conclude I'm playing a game
but confusing it with it real life.

Sounds to me like you need to do some more sailing in order to get
back to being your old ornery self. Where's the 'take no ****' old
man I'm used to treating with?

We all miss him around here . . .

CN

Thom Stewart

No fun anymore,Neal;
You're changed that.

Thom Stewart

No fun anymore,Neal;
You're changed that.

Capt. Neal®

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
No fun anymore,Neal;
You're changed that.

Buck up, man! Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Only YOU
can create a state of mind. Fun is a state of mind.

If you believe one person can change a newsgroup then you should
also understand one person can easily change his own mind.

One can take the present state of the group as a defeat or one
can take it as a challenge. Since when have you chosen the
side of defeat? Are you the captain of your own ship or are
you a cabin boy being bossed, tossed and flossed by pirates?

CN
Capt. Neal®

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
No fun anymore,Neal;
You're changed that.

I never thought I'd hear Ole Thom tossing in the towel. But, he's not the only one.

Capt. Neal used to call this group a bunch of wannabes and it turns out he was
correct. You have no mettle. You cannot ride out a storm, You are too quick to
turn tail and run. What a bunch of cry babies. Such fair weather sailors.

I am transcribing a paragraph or two from Hayden's novel "Voyage" in the hopes
it will demonstrate to you how a real captain and sailor refuses to knuckle under.

Would that you understood anything less than the spirit and determination
displayed by Capt. Irons Saul Pendleton in his battle with Cape Horn, is not
enough and not worthy of a real sailor.

"Irons Saul Pendleton sat by his rolltop desk and tugged at an
ear as he studied page 25 of his letter to Blanchard and Company.
Two weeks' growth of matted black beard clung to a face reddened
by wind and sleet. His eyes began to close. He slapped himself hard
across the jowls with his left hand, then plowed ahead with the writing:

"So, like I said a bit ago, and I guess you can imagine how sick it
makes me to say it, this has got to be about the hardest chance any
of the fleet has had at least in all my recollection. It's been thirty-
three days now we've been off the Horn and no letup in sight. I've
not had a peak at Old Sol in a week or ten days. Figure my
position as about 67° 30' west; 57° south which will show you when
little Lemual S. puts it up on the chart that what I have now is Cape
Horn bearing due north magnetic - and 60 miles distant.

"Three days back got clear west of 69° and south of the Diego
Ramirez, and aha, thinks I, this time she's going free. But wouldn't
you know it, down comes another snorter fit to blow the sugar out
of the coffee, and here I am back where I was ten days ago. It's
enough to discourage a man.

"Took a squint though my directory trying to learn what was the
longest haul in the record book, and nearly as I can tell it goes to
old Carteret in HMS Swallow, and he was shilly-shallying around
down here for fifty-one days. But the Swallow and the Neptune's
Car is two different breed of horse, and I can tell you I feel some
bad about the whole mess.

"Saw three ships in the course of the past two days. Too far off
to make my number. . . All three homeward bounders going before it
like striped-assed apes headed for the she-apes' swimming hole. Have
been reading my seed catalogue again and see where if you plant
poinsettias now in good loam, they'll be in first-class shape for
Christmas. Wish I was most anywheres other than here, even out in
Chicago, which, it just come to me, is where you will be about now if
there's been no change of plans. But, come to think of it, I don't
guess I'd last long listening to them wizards say what was wrong
with the country. There's nothing wrong with this country that a
little hard work won't cure. Not where I've been at least.

"No change to speak of in the Hot Coals Dept. You'll be glad to
hear that, I know. Had a little scare sometime back when Mr. Mate
reported the foremast seemed to be settling since there was slack in
the shrouds and backstays. That brought me out some fast, I tell
you. Found out it was only a matter of some throat seizings aloft
having spread. That and stretch due to the awful punishment the
gear is taking straight along. Had ten of the best men aboard aloft
for nine straight hours. Including both mates. Including me too for
a time, when they said they was getting chilly.

"This will conclude it for now. hope for better news next time.
Am 100 days out. Imagine! I feel sick. Give my regards to Harry
Clayton."

See what I'm talking about?

Respectfully,
Capt. Neal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DSK

Thom Stewart wrote:
Doug,

Any post with a Time post PDT+ is a FORGERY.

Ah so, I should have expected that.

"It is more dishonorable to suspect one's friends than to be cheated by
them." -Descartes

DSK

Capt. Neal®

"Ole Thom" wrote in message ...

It looks like things are getting back a little more to normal
around here now that I've threatened to sue the flonkers for
forgery. Ole Thom here has them on the run because they know
their definitions are only heresay. Courts make the rules not
flonkers. Just because I still use webTV doesn't mean I'm some
computer illiterate, you know.

Had a nice sail today with moderate winds and fair skys for once.
Something happened to me though that never happened before.I got
the main up and unfurled the genny and even though the winds were
moderate, the boat just wasn't getting anywhere. After an hour or
so of this I noticed I had forgotten to untie the dock lines. Felt
kinda dumb. So, I grabbed some booze and had a good slug and then I
decided to have a little nap and forgot that I was sailing. When I
woke up the sails were abak and I was shocked to see that during
my nap the boat had sailed right back into the slip and somebody
had tied her off exactly the way I do it.

I'LL DRINK TO THAT!

Ole Thom

http://www.namenda.com/understanding/index.asp

and

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/...t/en_about.cfm

I hope this helps.

CN

What was it like 4 U Joe ASA 264 December 28th 04 11:26 PM
Nice Inflatable Sail Boat. Great IDEA! BoatsToGo ASA 0 December 15th 04 08:00 PM
Perfect cruising bermuda dinghy Morgan Ohlson Boat Building 12 November 6th 04 09:04 PM
Fall Sail on the Chesapeake Bay Scott Vernon ASA 169 October 25th 04 12:14 AM
Nice Day for a Sail Bobsprit ASA 2 October 2nd 04 10:55 PM