BoatBanter.com

-   -   Mainsail Covers (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/28728-mainsail-covers.html)

katysails March 3rd 05 03:17 AM

Mainsail Covers

Has anyone here bought one of those main sail covers from West Marine? The
local canvas place has a backlog and ours went shot-to at the end of the
season last year when a big storm blew up....problem is that it was custom
made for the lazyjacks...I really don't want to sacrifice the lazyjacks for
want of a main cover...push comes to shove, I guess I'll just tape up the
places where it went until we can get one ordered custom-made..
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

"Women and cats will do as they please..." (Heinlein)...and we don't really
care what the men and dogs think....(katy)

Capt. Mooron March 3rd 05 04:01 AM

Oh Good Grief Kitty... go buy some sunbrella fabric and sew it up yourself!!
That's what I do. If you reached this point in your life and you can't sew a
stitch to save your life..... you'd better be a hellcat in the sack!

CM

katysails March 3rd 05 04:25 AM

I hate to sew....when I was a kid I made a lot of my own clothes...my sister
"borrowed" my sewing machine and never returned it and so now it's
God-knows-where. For all I care, it can stay wherever that is.. I do the
general mending by hand and sew small rips, etc, but I have way too much to
do then to sit at a sewing machine...about the rest...I guess you'll never
know...

JG March 3rd 05 04:29 AM

I had mine done custom. You could even buy the WM version and get it
altered. It's not that difficult.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Capt. Mooron March 3rd 05 04:31 AM

Well Kitty... from what I've seen... you've been beggin' recipes from an
Aussie, and now admit you can't sew a stitch... I don't have to guess about
how good you are in the sack.... since you don't seem obedient.... it
appears it's your only strong suit!

CM

katysails March 3rd 05 04:34 AM

Now where did you get I can't sew a stitch? I said I hand sew and mend and
I said I sewed my own clothes when I was a kid....I hated it...I am not a
very domestic person and never have been...my cooking skills are excellent,
however...and obedience is for dogs...my dog minds very well...

Capt. Mooron March 3rd 05 04:45 AM

I certainly wouldn't waste your talents on a sewing machine.... obedience
is a matter of convincing your pet to do tricks..... I doubt you require any
convincing... considering you can't even sew a mainsail cover!

CM

Capt. Mooron March 3rd 05 04:47 AM

"JG" wrote in message

I had mine done custom.

I just bet you did Jon!......

CM

JG March 3rd 05 06:34 AM

Well, we all know you're too poor to afford anything custom made. Why don't
you call me some really nasty names again. I'm sure that'll make you look
(in your own mind) like a big deal.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

"JG" wrote in message

I had mine done custom.

I just bet you did Jon!......

CM

Horvath March 3rd 05 11:46 AM

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 04:47:08 GMT, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote this crap:

"JG" wrote in message

I had mine done custom.

I just bet you did Jon!......

He's got a Cal 20. A protest flag can be used as a mainsail cover.

Thom Stewart March 3rd 05 06:17 PM

Katie,

My boat is wearing one right now. Not as good as the Custom but you can
walk in and walk out with one.

I have the large one and I do have it on with Lazy Jacks.

Not as pretty but works just fine.

Ole Thom
P/S check the webpage on the picture "Sturdy Craft"

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Thom Stewart March 3rd 05 06:31 PM

Kate,

You're right; Obedience is for the Dog. I obey her very well.

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal® March 3rd 05 09:52 PM

"Thom Stewart" chortled:

Katie,

My boat is wearing one right now. Not as good as the Custom but you can
walk in and walk out with one.

I have the large one and I do have it on with Lazy Jacks.

Not as pretty but works just fine.

Ole Thom,

Your mainsail cover looks like CRAP! It doesn't even cover the underside
of the sail/boom. You could do better wrapping it in that junk, blue-poly
tarp K-Mart sells. Sunlight reflected off the water is reducing that new,
inefficient, loose-footed sail of yours to an old, inefficient, rotten-footed
sail as we speak.

I guess you don't realize the dangers of sunlight reflected off the water????
Maybe it's because the sun rarely shines up there in the northwest?

Next time, try spending some money on a custom-made sail cover of Sunbrella
brand polyester like you see covering the fine, custom-made, Hong Kong Sailmakers
mainsail on my fine yacht.

For your viewing pleasure, Old Boy! http://captneal.homestead.com/Sheshines.html

CN

Joe March 3rd 05 09:59 PM

Capt you are indeed correct about reflected sun. However dont you have
problems with such a lose fit cover rubbing and wearing away your
chinese sails. I would half hitch a line along your whole boom to snug
up the fit.

Also Sunbrella makes a nice Sunburst yellow color that would look way
better on your boat then that crappy blue you see on most boats.

Joe

Joe March 3rd 05 10:41 PM

Bob,

Your wrong, Sunbrella stops all UV no matter the color.

And the angle of reflection from wave varies great enough to be a
factor.

Get back to changing diaper, something you know about.

Joe

Capt. Neal® March 3rd 05 10:45 PM

Get out your protractor, Billy Boy. Sunlight can reflect off the water through twenty
degrees on either side of the hull during mid-day when the sun is the strongest and
potentially damage the foot of any mainsail not tightly covered by a proper mainsail
cover. That's an hour of sun on either side. That's two hours a day too much.

CN

wrote in message ...
On 3 Mar 2005 13:59:26 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

Capt you are indeed correct about reflected sun. However dont you have
problems with such a lose fit cover rubbing and wearing away your
chinese sails. I would half hitch a line along your whole boom to snug
up the fit.

Also Sunbrella makes a nice Sunburst yellow color that would look way
better on your boat then that crappy blue you see on most boats.

Joe

Bad advice from (big surprise!) the rustcloud. Light colored sunbrella does not
block UV nearly as well as dark. It's a much more serious consideration than the
very minor (comical really) issue of reflections from the water, which due to
the width of the hull, are unlikely to every meet the sail.

BB

Thom Stewart March 3rd 05 11:27 PM

Neal.

To put it kindly as I can; YOU ARE FULL OF ****!

Please look at the picture of my boat in the water (Not up on Jacks.)

The one in the water is the new main with the new sail cover.

Cripes Neal you're as ignorant at reading as you are about Boom Repair
and Shelve Equip. Main operation

You better write another post and consider yourself in with the Lubbers
:^)

That would be Picture #7. I hope you can count to 7. That is all the
fingers on one hand plus 2 on the other'

Click on the address below and when the pictures show up scroll down
them one finger at a time. When all the fingers are used up on one hand
then scroll two more. That is 7. That is the picture of my boat, in the
water, with the WM sail cover on my new main, and the Lazy jacks. If you
can see any sail or boom ( MINE DOES"NT"T BEND IN THE MIDDLE) you also
need your eyes examined. Your eyes may be OK, just clouded with BS

Ole Thom,
P/S now do it and let me know if you did it correctly. I hope I don't
have to call for the "Short" bus to take you to some Post Grad work in
the "Special Ed" system

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Capt. Neal® March 3rd 05 11:46 PM

This is the picture I looked at and I still say your sail cover looks like crap!

http://community-2.webtv.net/tassail.../mailedD10.jpg

Then I looked at this one and was even more horrified:

http://community-2.webtv.net/tassail...iles/mailedD15

Don't try to tell me that sail cover keeps sun off the foot of your sail, Ole Thom,
it's a skinny, little joke of a mainsail cover.

CN

Capt. Neal® March 3rd 05 11:52 PM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message ...
This is the picture I looked at and I still say your sail cover looks like crap!

http://community-2.webtv.net/tassail.../mailedD10.jpg

Then I looked at this one and was even more horrified:

http://community-2.webtv.net/tassail...iles/mailedD15

Sorry, the .jpg got dropped off. Try this one, please.
http://community-2.webtv.net/tassail.../mailedD15.jpg

CN

Thom Stewart March 4th 05 01:05 AM

Neal,

You cerantly proved my point. You can't read. I said not the one one
the "JACK"

I have a call in for the "Short Bus" for the Special Ed people. Listen
for the Beep, Beep of the horn. It will be for you.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

JG March 4th 05 01:13 AM

You finally figured this out???? Bwahahahaaaa

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Thom Stewart March 4th 05 01:28 AM

By the way Neally,

The Boom covered and extending straight back and horizonal is fine for
picture taking. Any GOOD live aboard knows slung to the side and end
lowered is much better. More room to use the cockpit and less windage.

Just something to for "Show & Tell" in the Special Ed Class

Ole Thom
P/S not responsible for what the Yard does when it is in their hands. I
installed new main and cover when I got back to Slip. North took the old
main. Not sure what for? Remember I offered it to you and you said it
was to big for your rig
I guess they'll clean it and restitch it and sell to some other bargain
hunter.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Capt. Neal® March 4th 05 01:51 AM

Comments interspersed and interjections interjected. . .

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
By the way Neally,

The Boom covered and extending straight back and horizonal is fine for
picture taking. Any GOOD live aboard knows slung to the side and end
lowered is much better. More room to use the cockpit and less windage.

Just something to for "Show & Tell" in the Special Ed Class

Oh, Thom, you are wrong yet again. Every real cruising sailor knows
it is best to have the aft end of the boom a little higher than the forward
end. The reason being that in a rainstorm, the water does not all deluge off
then end into the cockpit. Anything but a centered boom is lubberly. I will
never have my boom set off to one side or the other.

Ole Thom
P/S not responsible for what the Yard does when it is in their hands. I
installed new main and cover when I got back to Slip. North took the old
main. Not sure what for? Remember I offered it to you and you said it
was to big for your rig
I guess they'll clean it and restitch it and sell to some other bargain
hunter.

The old sail of yours will probably be donated to a Mac26X owner's club
where it will be put on some old, crummy Mac26X and it will go faster
there than it ever did pushing that heavy old pilot house of yours around.
He hee! Poor ole Thom. He can't win when treating with me.

CN

Thom Stewart March 4th 05 02:20 AM

Neal,

You didn't have to go to all the trouble of digging out the Community2
page. The same picture is in the present HomePage.

Ahh Yes, now I see. It is picture #11. You ran out of fingers!! Sorry
old buddy. You need to take off your shoes. It is the picture after to
puppy. That's the picture where you ran out of fingers

Ole Thom
P/S hold the damn bus neal, I'm coming to for a little refresher on
spelling

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Thom Stewart March 4th 05 02:46 AM

Neal,

A covered Boom slung to the side lets the water drain outside the
cockpit bummy, with the end dowm it goes over the side thru the
scuppers.

I realize that half-ass Bimini not only prevents you from using your
jib winches properly but also prevents you from securing your "Broken
Boom" properly. you've got it set-up to drain unto your cabin top, over
your windows, down your deck along your rail until it finds a scupper.
That is where you have all those pretty coiled lines. Get a clue, man,
get a clue

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Thom Stewart March 4th 05 04:00 AM

Kate,

If you're thinking of using a standard cover with "Jacks" there is a
very easy and good solution,

My jacks hook unto eyes on each side of the Boom (Three on each side.)
I take the starboard jacks under the boom and hook them to the port
eyes. I do the same with the Port side jacks, under and to the starboard
eyes.

I let them hang loose until I fit the cover and slide the bottom under
the boom(Following the Jack lines) This creates a double fold under the
boom and sail. By the way, I've stopped using sail ties. When the
bottoms are in place I take up on the Jacks, sealing the folds.
I just take them up enough to snug them. Kate, you can't get the bottoms
full folds because of the sheet leads and vang but you can tuck them
pretty well. I then position the boom with the topping lift and the main
sheet traveler, which is tighten by the main sheet.

If you go with WM and you need any help I'm as close as your keyboard
and my new camera is ready at the other end.

Good Luck However,
Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

JR Gilbreath March 4th 05 01:01 PM

I don't think that the uv rays bouncing off of a boat structure is a
non-issue. One of the worst sunburns I ever got was "under" my chin
while sitting in the cockpit.
JR

wrote:
On 3 Mar 2005 14:41:52 -0800, "Joe" wrote:

Bob,

Your wrong, Sunbrella stops all UV no matter the color.

You're wrong three times so far. I'm Bill, different colors of sunbrella have
different levels of blocking/translucency, and sunbrella does not block ALL UV.

And the angle of reflection from wave varies great enough to be a
factor.

The amount of UV reflected off of a wave is negligible. The amount that might
then bounce off of some boat structure and strike the sail is a non-issue.

Get back to changing diaper, something you know about.

I haven't changed a diaper in about 20 years. You'll never get to change one,
because you are unable to reproduce. I consider that a blessing.

Schmoe

BB

Scott Vernon March 4th 05 01:41 PM

wrote

I haven't changed my diaper in about 20 years.

BBob

Ewwwwwwwww!

JR Gilbreath March 4th 05 03:08 PM

Bill. I know dammit. I did it without thinking.
JR

wrote:

On Fri, 04 Mar 2005 08:01:04 -0500, JR Gilbreath
wrote:

I don't think that the uv rays bouncing off of a boat structure is a
non-issue. One of the worst sunburns I ever got was "under" my chin
while sitting in the cockpit.
JR

Must you... Oh, nevermind!

BB

Thom Stewart March 4th 05 04:03 PM

Kate,

It is snap closure with zipper on mast. There is a velco section on the
end to make it a univeral fit to increase the lenght.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

JG March 4th 05 08:36 PM

Mooron is really into freebies, apparently.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

JG March 4th 05 09:55 PM

This is true. You can't call Mooron a prostitute. He's not smart enough.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message

"JG" wrote in message
Mooron is really into freebies, apparently.

Well, if Jon is charging by the inch, and you are giving it away for
free, it looks to me like Jon is a hell of a lot smarter than you.
This confirms what was pretty obvious all along.

BB

JG March 4th 05 10:37 PM

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
It's true.