Bart Senior

Default Hey Doug, Want a deal on a Star boat?

Down there, not far from you.

I wrote the guy. He says -- no soft spots. Not sure
I'd believe that.

This might make a nice project. The trailer alone
is worth the current bid. $820 If I didn't have too
many boats I'd buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4529738983&rd=
1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
Down there, not far from you.

I wrote the guy. He says -- no soft spots. Not sure
I'd believe that.

He may not know, soft spots can be hard to find. A boat that's been
sitting up on a trailer out of doors is almost certain to have rainwater
puddles in it, which is the worst possible thing structurally. But if
they say no soft spots, it's probably pretty good.

I'm less hopeful about the rigging... the boat's deck layout is antique
and a Star is a high-stress rig that needs *good* standing rigging... if
the spars are good the boat will still need all new standing & probably
mostly new running rigging... and that's a lot o'$$...

6 sails... that's nice

This might make a nice project. The trailer alone
is worth the current bid. $820 If I didn't have too
many boats I'd buy it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4529738983&rd=
1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

The trailer is the biggest real asset. The boat is obviously never going
to be competitive, but it could make a real fun daysailor. Might be
interesting to pick up a boat like this and put a spinnaker on it... or
convert it back to the old Star gaff rig...

At one point I looked into putting a gaff rig on the Lightning, but
didn't pursue it. I did try a big asymmetric with a deck mounted pole.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bart Senior

I spent over $800 on new line for my old Etchells. To tell
you the truth, I prefered replacing it. Mine is color coded.
Green=spinnaker, Blue=Main, Red=Jib.

The standing rigging would not be too hard to replace, and
you might get away with what is there if you don't over stress
it.

For the price it might make a nice project. I've thought about
building a Star. We've talked about that. Having a trailer
and spars would make that a practical project.

"DSK" wrote
Bart Senior wrote:
[...]

DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
I spent over $800 on new line for my old Etchells. To tell
you the truth, I prefered replacing it. Mine is color coded.
Green=spinnaker, Blue=Main, Red=Jib.

The good stuff costs. I went into a similar figure rerigging our Lightning.

The standing rigging would not be too hard to replace, and
you might get away with what is there if you don't over stress
it.

Probably true, especially if you're not going to race it.

For the price it might make a nice project. I've thought about
building a Star. We've talked about that. Having a trailer
and spars would make that a practical project.

heh heh he define "practical"

Besides, my wife would kill me. She's counting on me to finish
installing the increased battery bank, the windlass, and the bow
thruster on our tugboat...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe

Bow Thruster.....Is your trawler a single screw?

Joe

DSK

Joe wrote:
Bow Thruster.....Is your trawler a single screw?

Well, it has a single engine & prop.

That's why I remain unimpressed with all your bragging about maneuvering
boats with multiple props.

DSK

Scott Vernon

"DSK" wrote

The trailer is the biggest real asset.

Why? it's steel

The boat is obviously never going
to be competitive, but it could make a real fun daysailor.

With that draft? I guess if one had free use of a hoist.

SV

DSK

The trailer is the biggest real asset.

Scott Vernon wrote:
Why? it's steel

You're right. It looks painted. Still not so bad, especially if it's
been launched from a hoist and not dunked.

The boat is obviously never going
to be competitive, but it could make a real fun daysailor.

With that draft? I guess if one had free use of a hoist.

Hoists aren't hard to find. And you could still ramp launch it if you
really wanted to... have to cut a notch in the rear bunk, maybe. Or keep
it in the water.

Last summer I met a little old lady (well OK, a fair bit older than me
but obviously in good shape) who has a Star. She's the head of the math
department in the Midwest and singlehands it for fun on nice days... I
guess what she calls a nice day, she means light wind... but still, I
was impressed.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe

And what is wrong with a steel trailor? I guess the trailors you pull
with your truck are all plastic huh?

If the boat was steel It be a great Deal. If it was then people would
not have o ask questions like. Does it have any soft spots.

Bwahahaha the power of steel.

Joe

Bart Senior

Steel is ok, versus galvanized which is great.

If the trailer was galvanized, i'd buy it just for the trailer and resell
it.

A galvy trailer can cost $3500 to $4000 or more new. This one
isn't that big. So if it was galvanized I'd guess it would be worth
around $2500.

Being painted steel the value is much less.

As Doug pointed out, it is unlikely it has been dunked. People
usually drop them in with a hoist.

"Joe" wrote

What was it like 4 U Joe ASA 264 December 28th 04 11:26 PM
Some people are working hard.... Gould 0738 General 10 December 23rd 04 04:23 AM
I was a Mac26X owner EdGordonRN ASA 119 April 22nd 04 04:58 AM
Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM