Joe

Default Holy Beams seen at Sea

Yer 100 mile off the coast of Texas. It's cloudy but beams of light
from the sun are passing thru holes in the clouds and are illuminated
by dust in the air along their paths. The rays are virtually parallel ,
but because of your perspective they appear to diverge. Those ray that
appear to extend downward have a common named used by salty sailors for
hundreds of years.

Question:
What are they called by old salts?

What is the proper name ?

If extending upwards and across the sky appearing to converge towards a
point 180 degrees from the sun are called what?

Joe

Joe

Do you trailor sailors need a hint or what?

Joe

Bart Senior

Esoteric question.

I have no idea on the answer of this one.

Enlighten us.

"Joe" wrote

Yer 100 mile off the coast of Texas. It's cloudy but beams of light
from the sun are passing thru holes in the clouds and are illuminated
by dust in the air along their paths. The rays are virtually parallel ,
but because of your perspective they appear to diverge. Those ray that
appear to extend downward have a common named used by salty sailors for
hundreds of years.

Question:
What are they called by old salts?

What is the proper name ?

If extending upwards and across the sky appearing to converge towards a
point 180 degrees from the sun are called what?

Joe

Bart Senior wrote:
Esoteric question.

Perhaps...But most sailors I know are more into esoteric happening than
the everyday ho hum. I live to see things at sea not viewed by the
avereage lubber. Things as simple as the green flash, phosphorus
snakes, spotted whale sharks, flying fish, st elmos fire, water spouts,
ect... I've even seen a few things that defy explaination.

Whenever I have a crappy day...I always get suprised and uplifted by
the perfect sunset lighting up the water in a color or way I've never
seen before. My favorate watch is always a sunrise watch on the wheel.

Joe

I have no idea on the answer of this one.

Enlighten us.

"Joe" wrote

Yer 100 mile off the coast of Texas. It's cloudy but beams of light
from the sun are passing thru holes in the clouds and are

illuminated
by dust in the air along their paths. The rays are virtually

parallel ,
but because of your perspective they appear to diverge. Those ray

that
appear to extend downward have a common named used by salty sailors

for
hundreds of years.

Question:
What are they called by old salts?

What is the proper name ?

If extending upwards and across the sky appearing to converge

towards a
point 180 degrees from the sun are called what?

Jeff Morris

Joe wrote:
Yer 100 mile off the coast of Texas. It's cloudy but beams of light
from the sun are passing thru holes in the clouds and are illuminated
by dust in the air along their paths. The rays are virtually parallel ,
but because of your perspective they appear to diverge. Those ray that
appear to extend downward have a common named used by salty sailors for
hundreds of years.

Question:
What are they called by old salts?

What is the proper name ?

If extending upwards and across the sky appearing to converge towards a
point 180 degrees from the sun are called what?

Joe

I always just called them Solar Rays.

More interesting are solar rays when the Sun is below the horizon.
The rays can appear in the Purple-Red. These are called Crepuscular
Rays, from the Latin for twilight.

Joe

Crepuscular Rays is the given name for what I described Jeff. You get
half a ASA point.

Old Salts call them backstays to the sun.

One that V down are called Anticrepuscular rays.

Ever time I see them it remind me of the pictures seen on the booklets
they pass out at church.

Joe

Thom Stewart

Good one Joe,

Damned if I didn't learn something today of interest.

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal®

Too bad Joe didn't post something about how pilothouse sailboats
blow more than any bos'n's whistle.

CN

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Good one Joe,

Damned if I didn't learn something today of interest.

Ole Thom

Thom Stewart

Yeah Neal,

The Pilothouse is a GREAT PLACE for a Bos's to sound his whistle. High,
dry and warm.

You are learning Neal. Slowly but surely you're learning. I guess we
just have to be patient while you make you're many mistakes :^)

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsPage

Joe

For your viewing pleasure

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~doswell/photopg/crepusc.JPG

http://www.cimms.ou.edu/~doswell/cha...uscular_98.JPG

http://jeffkirk.net/artwork/gallery/...cular_rays.jpg

http://www.whiteplanes.com/images/weather/weather16.jpg

Bonus:

Which is a classic backstay to the sun

Joe

Holy back peddle, Batman! was: DR JAXAshby ASA 6 August 8th 04 10:03 PM
HOLY COW Bobsprit ASA 4 June 15th 04 02:49 AM
Holy Craponado! Bobsprit ASA 12 October 28th 03 01:43 AM
Holy Home Theatre!!! Bobsprit ASA 19 October 20th 03 10:21 PM
Holy Chromed Anchor! Simple Simon ASA 0 October 20th 03 08:57 PM