Gull Rock's

Default Rules of the Road Answered

Great place for Navigation rules

http://www.boats.com/reeds/jsp/rn_ch_1_l_a.jsp

Capt. Neal®

I can't help but notice how our part-time Canadian sailor is too
chicken to answer the COLREGs questions.

CN

"Gull Rock's" wrote in message ...
Great place for Navigation rules

http://www.boats.com/reeds/jsp/rn_ch_1_l_a.jsp

Capt. Mooron

What are "the COLREGS" ??????

For a liveaboard you seem awfully anal & uptight

You guys and your petty little discussions regarding a set of rules that in
your cases is not enforceable, carries almost no weight in court and is
subject to wide interpretation... well it's so darn amusing!

Here's a friggin hint..... It's a big ocean and you're on a very little
boat.... stay the **** out of the way of everything bigger and faster. Leave
the rules to the racers, professionals and their vessels.

Do you really think I give a **** about who is to windward and who is
burdened if I'm being overtaken?? Nothing is more comical and dangerous than
a sailboat assuming right of way over a larger commercial vessel. If it's
another sailboat I'll give all the room I can.... If it's a bigger boat or
power vessel I'll provide as much room as they need. I cruise.... I'm never
in a rush... even the odd time I race.

Plus my vessel is armed to the teeth with water balloon launchers..... I
got one that has a 200 yard range!! Imagine the havoc a gas filled balloon
and a flare gun could create! :-)

CM

"Gull Rock's" wrote in message
Great place for Navigation rules

http://www.boats.com/reeds/jsp/rn_ch_1_l_a.jsp

Capt. Neal®

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message news:gk2Td.32$TB.29@edtnps84...

Do you really think I give a **** about who is to windward and who is
burdened if I'm being overtaken?? Nothing is more comical and dangerous than
a sailboat assuming right of way over a larger commercial vessel. If it's
another sailboat I'll give all the room I can.... If it's a bigger boat or
power vessel I'll provide as much room as they need. I cruise.... I'm never
in a rush... even the odd time I race.

Your ignorance of the Rules and disregard for the safety of your vessel is
surpassed only by the danger you represent to vessels following the Rules.

Commercial vessels, even those driven by the likes of Shen44 and otnmbrd,
follow the Rules and expect other vessels to do the same. The action they
take is required by the Rules and any inaction or wrong action other boats
who scorn the Rules can cause confusion, close-quarters situations and
collisions.

Your providing 'as much room as they need' is fine as long as such room is
provided by the book. Get a clue! Try taking and passing the exam and obtain
a captain's license before you hurt yourself and embarrass us real seamen.

Why is it Joe and myself are the only sailors here who wish to do things
the right way?

CN
Joe

Capt. Neal,

Do not fret. The weekend warriors boat at their own risk.
If they fail to comply with the rules and cause you our your vessel any
harm you can collect in a court of law.

Most lubbers do not have much invested in their boats and it is not
important enough for them to be concerned with the Colregs.

Here I often enter heavy commerical shipping lanes therefore I want to
be sure I'm in the right incase some derelict crew or Capt. causes any
damage to my vessel. Plus I do not want to impede anyone working... or
get sliced in half by a mile long tow hauser offshore, or snag some
shrimpers net and have to buy him a new one.

In an backwoods harbor on the N Atlantic were seldom is seen another
vessel... Moorons approch to the rules is not to far out of line for
the average weekend warrior.

Joe

Maxprop

"Joe" wrote in message

Capt. Neal,

Do not fret. The weekend warriors boat at their own risk.
If they fail to comply with the rules and cause you our your vessel any
harm you can collect in a court of law.

As if that's a simple, frustration-free, inexpensive process. It isn't. My
advice: avoid courts and lawyers if at all possible. Only a complete fool
will insist upon his rights, knowing he has recourse in court.

Most lubbers do not have much invested in their boats and it is not
important enough for them to be concerned with the Colregs.

Most brand new boaters are clueless as to the Colregs, or even the more
fundamental "rules of the road." They buy their boats from dealers and
brokers who couldn't care less if the buyer has any knowledge at all; only
that his check won't bounce and he's creditworthy. The problem begins he
those selling boats for a living should be "encouraged" by law to provide at
least a modicum of knowledge to buyers.

Here I often enter heavy commerical shipping lanes therefore I want to
be sure I'm in the right incase some derelict crew or Capt. causes any
damage to my vessel. Plus I do not want to impede anyone working... or
get sliced in half by a mile long tow hauser offshore, or snag some
shrimpers net and have to buy him a new one.

In an backwoods harbor on the N Atlantic were seldom is seen another
vessel... Moorons approch to the rules is not to far out of line for
the average weekend warrior.

I used to believe that to be true, but I've found that most boaters, after a
verbal altercation with other boaters, make the effort to discover why they
were the focus of such vitriol. That's why I spare no one from verbal abuse
should they do something really stupid. It's part of their education.
Many ultimately take CG Auxiliary courses, the Power Squadron courses, or
simply self-study. I really don't find many experienced boaters these days
with no knowledge whatsoever, apart from the rank newbie and jet ski jocks.
Most possess a fundamental set of facts and rules, and they use them
properly.

Here in the Great Lakes, we seldom have need for the more esoteric Colregs,
but many of us still have a working knowledge of them. It's rare to find a
third year boater without any knowledge of the rules of right of way, etc.

Max

Capt. Mooron

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

Your ignorance of the Rules and disregard for the safety of your vessel is
surpassed only by the danger you represent to vessels following the Rules.

Ignorance???? ...because I didn't participate in the Q&A!!???
Bwahahahahahahahaaaaaaa

Commercial vessels, even those driven by the likes of Shen44 and otnmbrd,
follow the Rules and expect other vessels to do the same. The action they
take is required by the Rules and any inaction or wrong action other boats
who scorn the Rules can cause confusion, close-quarters situations and
collisions.

Cause Confusion???? Cripes you got a boat the size of a large dory and you
think that matters to a container ship??

Your providing 'as much room as they need' is fine as long as such room is
provided by the book. Get a clue! Try taking and passing the exam and
obtain
a captain's license before you hurt yourself and embarrass us real seamen.

I only need a certification if I'm interested in professional endeavours!

Why is it Joe and myself are the only sailors here who wish to do things
the right way?

Really??? .... who said your way was right??

CM

JG

Mooron is an idiot. I doubt he could follow the rules even if he knew what
they were.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

[...]

Capt. Neal®

"Capt. Mooron" blathered pompously:

I cruise.... I'm never
in a rush... even the odd time I race.

It's a good thing you're never in a rush because that crab-crusher
of yours is incapable of anything close to respectable speeds.

If you ever got a chance to sail a nice, fast and manageable boat
such as my fine, blue water Coronado 27 that has an excellent
turn of speed as well as supperb maneuverability and seakeeping,
you would change your tune in a New York minute.

Sometimes it pays to have a fast boat such as running out to deep
water when that front or storm blows up or in. In your case you
would be attempting to slowly motorsail to safe harbor but you would
not make it and suffer a beating from wind and its effects on
shallow water working on old-fashioned hull.

I will be out, well-off soundings, hove-to and enjoying cooking
a hot meal to be washed down with a couple of ice-cold beers.

You will be hanging over the rail puking while hollering Maday
on the VHF hoping to have some rescue vessel heading your way.

CN
---educating the lurkers as to who is the real sailor around here.
CN

Capt. Mooron

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

It's a good thing you're never in a rush because that crab-crusher
of yours is incapable of anything close to respectable speeds.

Your yellow excuse for a poor performing, coastal cruising, tender, fin
keeled, jury rigged, dory of a small boat couldn't hope to catch my fine
vessel on the best day.

If you ever got a chance to sail a nice, fast and manageable boat
such as my fine, blue water Coronado 27 that has an excellent
turn of speed as well as supperb maneuverability and seakeeping,
you would change your tune in a New York minute.

If you keep to within sight of shore and a protected bay in light
airs....maybe!

Sometimes it pays to have a fast boat such as running out to deep
water when that front or storm blows up or in. In your case you
would be attempting to slowly motorsail to safe harbor but you would
not make it and suffer a beating from wind and its effects on
shallow water working on old-fashioned hull.

No.. it pays to have a Powerful boat with good pointing abilities and sturdy
enough that you needn't run for cover like the fin keelers..... when ever
the wind pipes over 30kts!!

I will be out, well-off soundings, hove-to and enjoying cooking
a hot meal to be washed down with a couple of ice-cold beers.

No... you'd be at your mooring.... don't even talk to me about the ocean and
it's moods you impertinant, shallow flats, coastal sailor!! I've been in
seas that would crush your little fin keeled excuse for a vessel! Cuba??
Hah! they do that in rafts... Bahamas???... they do it on jetskis!!

You will be hanging over the rail puking while hollering Maday
on the VHF hoping to have some rescue vessel heading your way.

Not only am I not susceptable to mal de mere... but even in 45kts and 20
foot seas I wouldn't spill a drink in the cockpit nor take on green water!
Even use of the galley, swing stove oven and head is comfortable on a vessel
that carries the momentum mine does!

CN
---educating the lurkers as to who is the real sailor around here.

....and that is not the coastal flats, fair weather sailing Captain from
Florida!!

Capt. Mooron
S.V.Overproof
"Spawned in the African Jungles.... Forged in the Rugged North Atlantic....
and Tempered by the Cold Arctic Ice!"