Capt. Neal®

Inland, my boy, inland . . .

Sorry Bart but you are wrong. The special flashing light is for pushing ahead only.

Towing alongside only requires sidelights on the tow.

A is the correct answer; not D

CN

"Bart Senior" wrote in message ...
1 point for Joe

Capt. Neal®

Bart,

You need to review.

For pushing ahead in inland rules you need sidelights and a special flashing light on the tow.

For hip towing you need only the side light on the front of the tow plus two yellow
towing lights on the stern of the tow.

I hope this helps.

CN

"Bart Senior" wrote in message ...
Doug,

What is the difference in lights between the
hip tow and pushing ahead?

"DSK" wrote

I think that's right, a side tie gets the same light as being pushed
ahead.

Joe

D is correct.....

Joe

Capt. Neal®

Wrong! A is correct.

CN

"Joe" wrote in message ups.com...
D is correct.....

Joe

Jeff Morris

Sorry Cap, on this one, Joe is correct.

Capt. Neal® wrote:
Wrong! A is correct.

CN

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

D is correct.....

Joe

Capt. Neal®

You need to review, too.

A is the correct answer.

The question is inland only. In the inland rules a special flashing light is NOT, I repeat, NOT
required when towing along side past the demarcation line. A hip tow requires sidelights and two yellows on its stern. It does not
require a special flashing light.

INLAND

A special flashing light is used on a vessel

A. being pushed ahead
B. towed alongside
C. towed astern
D. both A & B

CN

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...
Sorry Cap, on this one, Joe is correct.

Capt. Neal® wrote:
Wrong! A is correct.

CN

"Joe" wrote in message ups.com...

D is correct.....

Joe

Jeff Morris

No cap, its you that needs the review.

We're talking about the vessel being towed, not the tow vessel. Refer
to 24(f)(ii), IIRC.

Capt. Neal® wrote:

You need to review, too.

A is the correct answer.

The question is inland only. In the inland rules a special flashing
light is NOT, I repeat, NOT
required when towing along side past the demarcation line. A hip tow
requires sidelights and two yellows on its stern. It does not require a
special flashing light.

INLAND

A special flashing light is used on a vessel

A. being pushed ahead
B. towed alongside
C. towed astern
D. both A & B

CN

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message

Sorry Cap, on this one, Joe is correct.

Capt. Neal® wrote:

Wrong! A is correct.

CN

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

D is correct.....

Joe

otnmbrd

Capt. Neal® wrote:

You need to review, too.

A is the correct answer.

The question is inland only. In the inland rules a special flashing
light is NOT, I repeat, NOT
required when towing along side past the demarcation line. A hip tow
requires sidelights and two yellows on its stern. It does not require a
special flashing light.

INLAND

A special flashing light is used on a vessel

A. being pushed ahead
B. towed alongside
C. towed astern
D. both A & B

CN

Sheesh Where'd you get your copy of the Rules .... Mad Magazine?

otn
DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
Doug,

What is the difference in lights between the
hip tow and pushing ahead?

AFAIK there isn't a difference. In both cases the towing/pushing vessel
displays running lights + towing lights, the tow displays yellow lights.

I don't know this stuff by heart, I always look it up. On those rare
occasions when we're underway at night and see a tow, I call the skipper
on VHF... is that cheating?

DSK

Capt. Neal®

I fail to see why you two idiots cannot understand that by definition
a special flashing light is ONLY used on a vessel being pushed ahead.

A. is the correct answer.

B. is incorrect because a vessel being towed along side does not require
a special flashing light. That makes D. wrong as well.

Get a clue.

CN