Bart Senior

Default Rules of the Road #19

INTERNATIONAL

What whistle signal, if any, would be sounded
when two vessels are meeting, but will pass
clear starboard to starboard?

A. One short blast
B. Two short blasts
C. Five or more short blasts
D. No signal is required

Joe

Joe

Donal

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
INTERNATIONAL

What whistle signal, if any, would be sounded
when two vessels are meeting, but will pass
clear starboard to starboard?

A. One short blast
B. Two short blasts
C. Five or more short blasts
D. No signal is required

A.

However, C might also be in order.

Regards

Donal

Jeff Morris

Joe wrote:

Joe

Wrong again, though correct for US Inland waters.

Jeff Morris

Donal wrote:
"Bart Senior" wrote in message

INTERNATIONAL

What whistle signal, if any, would be sounded
when two vessels are meeting, but will pass
clear starboard to starboard?

A. One short blast
B. Two short blasts
C. Five or more short blasts
D. No signal is required

A.

However, C might also be in order.

If one vessel did A, the other should do C. However, D is the correct
answer.
Donal

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
Donal wrote:
"Bart Senior" wrote in message

INTERNATIONAL

What whistle signal, if any, would be sounded
when two vessels are meeting, but will pass
clear starboard to starboard?

A. One short blast
B. Two short blasts
C. Five or more short blasts
D. No signal is required

A.

However, C might also be in order.

If one vessel did A, the other should do C. However, D is the correct
answer.

Shouldn't "meeting" vessels try to pass port to port?

Have I misunderstood something?

Regards

Donal

Bart Senior

1 lash for Joe.

Jeff Morris

Donal wrote:

"Bart Senior" wrote in message

INTERNATIONAL

What whistle signal, if any, would be sounded
when two vessels are meeting, but will pass
clear starboard to starboard?

A. One short blast
B. Two short blasts
C. Five or more short blasts
D. No signal is required

A.

However, C might also be in order.

If one vessel did A, the other should do C. However, D is the correct
answer.

Shouldn't "meeting" vessels try to pass port to port?

Have I misunderstood something?

Yes, you have. Rule 14 (head-on situation) applies only if there is a
risk of collision. And Rule 9 (narrow channels) says you should stay
to the right side of a channel. But if two vessels in open water are
on courses that have them passing comfortably starboard to starboard,
there is no reason for then to alter course to force it to be a port
to port passing. In fact, it could be rather dangerous. Since no
course alteration is needed, no signal is required.

The US Inland rules are worded quite differently on this point.
Instead of implying "I am altering course ..." they mean "I intend to
leave you on my port (or starboard) side." Under the international
rule no reply is needed, but it is required under the inland rules
Bart Senior

1 point for Jeff. Maybe I should give you two points
since your boat has two points.

Hmm, does that mean Joe is pointless?

"Jeff Morris" wrote in

"Bart Senior" wrote