Bart Senior

Default Long Island Valley???

It could not have been called Long Island Valley because:

The global sea level was about 150 metres lower during the
peak of the last Ice Age, and was at its lowest about 20,000
years ago. The sea was below its present level from 100,000
to 5,000 years ago.

Human beings, and all the normal vegetation and fauna of the
neighbouring land-mass, extended onto the continental shelf
during the period when the sea level was lower than at present,
that is roughly from 100,000 years ago to 5,000 years ago.

When the sea level rose again, while the ice caps were melting,
vegetation was killed off by salination and inundated (gradually),
while animals and people who had been on the continental shelf
moved back onto the continents where they joined the people
who had been living there anyway.

Flood myths that occur all over the world are the "folk memory"
of the experience of suffering 10,000 years of (slowly) rising sea
level, and the continuous loss of hunting and foraging territory.

[Who knows how fast the change really occured?]

There is a continuing need to discover, categorise, and date more
prehistoric archaeological sites offshore. Work by amateur
archaeologists and chance finds by trawler fishermen, scuba sports
divers, and sponge divers who may recover stone tools from the
seabed can be of great importance.

Bart Senior

The reason I brought this up is I met a a commerical
fisherman who has found numerous Mamoth tusks and
plotted the projected extent of the prehistoric shoreline
based on these findings.

The most amazing thing is he found an underwater site
rich in artifacts that he believes is a 15,000 year or older
city off the eastern seaboard. He has pulled up what he
believes is a 15,000 year old carved stone cup, and also
some larger pefectly regularly shaped stones that were too
big to bring back.

Unfortunately the scientific community wants him to give
up all his data for nothing, and just hand over 11 years of
artifacts and notes he has collected. None of them will
validate any of his findings. Without a formal education he
has been unable to obtain any grant money for such research.

If true, this would be the first verified underwater site.
Previous locations have been determined to be naturally
formed rock ledges.

Another argument against such findings is the theory that
most if not all his findings were washed out by glaciers.
This does not explain the fact that the "city" site is located
on a sea mount.

I will post some pictures of some of the treasures he has
found.

Bart

Gilligan

There definitely was a "valley" that ran North to South on Long Island and
extended up into Connecticut. It is referred to as the Connetquot Mel****er
Channel and compromises the Connetquot and Nissequogue Rivers. They are now
separated by the Ronkonkoma Moraine Gap.

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
[...]

Gilligan

http://www.njscuba.net/artifacts/obj_arrowheads.html

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
Not a cup.

I think it is a lamp where small bits of animal
fat were burned to provide light.

Small JPEG Picture attached.

DSK

Bart Senior wrote:
Not a cup.

I think it is a lamp where small bits of animal
fat were burned to provide light.

Certainly possible... think how far a step it is from an animal fat lamp
to a Fresnel lens...

Not trying to challenge you, why is it not a cup? Looks like it would
make a good drinking vessel... a bit on the smallish side...

BTW thanks for the links Gilligan. Very interesting reading.

Regards
Doug King

Thom Stewart

Hey Guys,

I don't think it is either. It looks to me like a morter for grinding.

OT

Bart Senior

If the person was left handed I'd agree.

The cup fits in your right hand so well. It would
be uncomfortable to grind anything in it.

"Thom Stewart" wrote