Wally

OzOne wrote in message ...

It was my MO in my first dinghy race. Unlike Neal, I considered half a

metre
to be a reasonable margin...

Half a metre?
How many boats got in there?

None - it was racing for novices and none of us knew what we were doing. The
real newbies were the ones sailing around, asking all and sundry, "has the
race started yet?".

Remco Moedt

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 17:51:21 -0500, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Capt._Neal=AE?=
wrote:

Instead of his usual motor trip down the Intracoastal Waterway, he has
decided to go the outside route between Morehead, N.C. and Savannah, Ga.

I assume Jeff is still motoring? I'm not sure if the American rules
are the same as the Dutch ones, but here a sailing yacht has priority
over one using the engine.

Cheers!

Remco

Mundo

While working offshore for weeks at a time in a 57" long liner we had only 2
rules.
Rule #1: Maintain watches.
Rule #2 :The bigger the boat. the righter the way. We constantly dodged
Tanker an Container Vessels.
They are working on Hidden rule #1: Go slow lose money.
Mundo

wrote:

Instead of his usual motor trip down the Intracoastal Waterway, he has
decided to go the outside route between Morehead, N.C. and Savannah, Ga.

I assume Jeff is still motoring? I'm not sure if the American rules
are the same as the Dutch ones, but here a sailing yacht has priority
over one using the engine.

Cheers!

Remco

DSK

Remco Moedt wrote:
I assume Jeff is still motoring? I'm not sure if the American rules
are the same as the Dutch ones, but here a sailing yacht has priority
over one using the engine.

Yes, it's the same here. A "vessel propelled by machinery" gives way to
one under sail, even if they both have masts & sails

DSK

Lonny Bruce

The more prudent mariner is the one that avoids a collision, regardless of
what the rules say.

Lonny

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message
Jeff Morris is sailing his catamaran in International waters, for once.

Instead of his usual motor trip down the Intracoastal Waterway, he has
decided to go the outside route between Morehead, N.C. and Savannah, Ga.

While about twenty miles offshore he notices he is gaining on another
sailboat, a monohull, which is off his port bow about a half mile away.
Both are on starboard tack and close reaching. He knows that Rule 12
designates him as the give way vessel.
He ignores Rule 12 and proceeds to fall off a little and uses his superior
boat speed to catch up to the other sailboat so he is soon close astern.
He then uses Rule 13 and heads up again so as to overtake allowing the
stand-on vessel according to Rule 13 to stand on.

He creates a close quarters situation because he believes he must follow
Rule
13 because he maintains all the Colregs apply at all times.
If I were at the helm of his catamaran I would ignore superfluous Rule 13
and
head up a little and pass the other sailboat at a safe distance without
having to even think about Rule 13.
Who is the more prudent mariner?

CN

Jeff Morris

DSK wrote:
Remco Moedt wrote:

I assume Jeff is still motoring? I'm not sure if the American rules
are the same as the Dutch ones, but here a sailing yacht has priority
over one using the engine.

Yes, it's the same here. A "vessel propelled by machinery" gives way to
one under sail, even if they both have masts & sails

DSK

However, smaller (under 12M) motoring sailboats are not required to show
the inverted cone dayshape in Inland Waters. In fact, I've hardly ever
seen one in the US.daymark

The meaning of this is that you have to assume the other boat is
sailing, even if you suspect its propelled by machinery.
DSK

Jeff Morris wrote:
However, smaller (under 12M) motoring sailboats are not required to show
the inverted cone dayshape in Inland Waters. In fact, I've hardly ever
seen one in the US.daymark

I have, not a lot but often enough.

The meaning of this is that you have to assume the other boat is
sailing, even if you suspect its propelled by machinery.

True.

The funny thing is that a lot of sailboaters (I use the term to
differentiate them from "sailors") who assume that any sailboat, even
when under power, has ROW over any motorboat. It's also amusing to see
people assume that being on autopilot gives them ROW.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

It was my MO in my first dinghy race. Unlike Neal, I considered half a
metre
to be a reasonable margin...

Half a metre?
How many boats got in there?

I didn't make this comment myself since so many others beat me to it

Wally wrote:
None - it was racing for novices and none of us knew what we were doing. The
real newbies were the ones sailing around, asking all and sundry, "has the
race started yet?".

An interesting comparison and IMHO clearly shows the higher skill level
developed even for basic racing. Last week at the Bitter End there were
a lot of casual races, and there was always a group of sailors who could
not manage to get their boats to the line & across it smartly. But most
of them improved with some practice, and that practice also showed in
their docking after the race.

One of several reasons why I personally believe that racing small boats
is the best sailing school.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Capt. Neal®

So, you are agreeing with me in that when Jeff makes the ignorant statement
that ALL the Rules apply ALL the time and then goes about creating a close-quarters
situation in order to comply with Rule 13 instead of abiding by Rule 12, ignoring
Rule 13 and passing at a safe distance that Jeff is the less prudent mariner?

CN

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message ...
[...]

Jeff Morris

No Neal, I made the proper statement that all of the rules must be followed.

You made the exceptional stupid statement that you consider the rules
optional and you don't have to follow rules that you don't understand.

And why do you claim that following the rule that obligates an
overtaking vessel to stay clear is "creating a close quarters
situation"? Perhaps its because you lack the sailing skill to control
your boat?

How Jeff sails . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 1 February 1st 05 01:38 AM
The Compleat FAQ for alt.sailing.asa JG ASA 48 January 6th 05 04:18 AM
Neal's new Sails Donal ASA 10 January 31st 04 09:54 PM
Even better prices on working sails. Simple Simon ASA 14 September 4th 03 01:20 PM
A tough question for Jeff and Shen44 otnmbrd ASA 53 July 30th 03 06:14 PM