Gilligan

Default sub damage pics

http://www.navy.mil/view_gallery.asp?category_id=17

Scott Vernon

OzOne wrote

Scary ****.

As is everything to you.

Boo!

otnmbrd

I'd call that a damned fine testimonial of USN Damage Control
Thom Stewart

Gilly,

What a great post!! Thank you.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Gilligan

No luck. The United States has had the best Navy in the world for almost 250
years, thanks to people such as myself, DSK, Joe, Ole Thom, and people of
Naval Auxilaries such as Capt Neal of the Merchant Marine, a finer officer
there never was! You can thank your lucky stars that America has shielded
Australia with its nuclear umbrella and that when one point of its nuclear
triad runs directly into a mountain, it gets back to port with absolutely no
danger from a nuclear accident. The whole incident is a testimonial to
excellence - American excellence!

Gilligan
OzOne wrote in message ...
On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:33:49 GMT, otnmbrd
scribbled thusly:

I'd call that a damned fine testimonial of USN Damage Control

marinated in lots of luck.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Fuzzy Logic

OzOne wrote in :

http://www.navy.mil/view_gallery.asp?category_id=17

I wonder just how many serious injuries were sustaine in a grounding
that hard?

1 death...no mention of injuries he

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/27/sub...ged/index.html

Apparently the underwater 'speed bump' wasn't on the charts?!
Joe

Right you are Gilligan,

The picture shows the vessel after most of the damaged skin was
removed. Most the compartment you see open to the air are forward of
the collision bulkhead. Infact you can see the collision bulkhead in
the picture. What was lost seems to be ballast tanks, torpedo tubes
equipment spaces ect.

Thats why a collision bulkhead is of extreme importance on a ocean
going vessel. Take RedCloud for instance, she has 5 foot of bow that
could be smashed in and still sail along without taking on any water.
Then 3 other seperate water tight compartments.

Also I think the sub hit a mound or ledge not a speed bump as some
call it, unless they were flying sideways. Almost looks like they
rammed a ship off the port quarter. I wonder if the story we hear is
just a cover-up?

Thanks for the link.

Joe

Capt. Neal®

Right you are, Joe. It's clear from the damaged area
on the bow that they had to run the thing into the upper
part of an underwater cave opening and not a seamount.
Either that or a steeply inverted seamount. Yeh Right!

It's clear even to this novice that there was plenty
of shear action taking place. Do seamounts move
at a high rate of speed?

It seems to me they hit a ship or another sub and are
engaging in a cover up. Probably rammed a Russian sub.
Good riddance, I say.

The Russian sub probably sunk and was crushed with all
hands lost. God is good.

CN

"Joe" wrote in message oups.com...
[...]

Joe

No.. if it were a Russian sub Moscow would be banging on the door
demanding lots of greenback.

Maybe a Japanese Long liner or Purse Seainer or Whaling ship.

Sheeeze recovering the last Japanese fishing ship cost over a billion
dollars..... all because of the outdated self centered Japanese
culture.

If I go down on a ship or boat leave me there..A finer grave you will
not find.

Joe

Capt. Neal®

"Joe" wrote in message ups.com...
No.. if it were a Russian sub Moscow would be banging on the door
demanding lots of greenback.

Maybe a Japanese Long liner or Purse Seainer or Whaling ship.

Sheeeze recovering the last Japanese fishing ship cost over a billion
dollars..... all because of the outdated self centered Japanese
culture.

If I go down on a ship or boat leave me there..A finer grave you will
not find.

I'd rather be cradled in the arms of morphine . . .

CN