Default inverter vibration damage???

I got a Coleman PMP 2000 inverter, mounted it to the
rear wall of the hull on a houseboat, and hooked it
to the batteries. It ran a drill for a few trys, so I figured
things were good. I took the boat out, and the next
day tried using the inverter. It wouldn't run anything,
but the green power light stayed on. I thought that
maybe the vibration of the wall it was mounted to
while the engine was running could be enough to
damage it, but I went and felt it with the engine
running and it doesn't seem like much vibration to
me...not that it should be enough to damage the
inverter. The vibration of the wall of a truck or
camper would probably be a lot worse, but I'm
wondering what other people might think about it.
Bilgeman

dh_Id asks:

- got a Coleman PMP 2000 inverter, mounted it to the rear wall of the hull on
a houseboat, and hooked it to the batteries. It ran a drill for a few trys, so
I figured things were good. I took the boat out, and the next day tried using
the inverter. It wouldn't run anything,but the green power light stayed on.-

Bilge- Have you got a Digital voltmeter? They're pretty inexpensive...cheap
enough to leave in a dry stow on your boat. check your output voltage at the
inverter receptacle.

If you see 110-120 volts, look downstream to your distribution circuits. If
you don't have voltage, look for a reset button,or refer to manufacturer's
info.

It may also have a bi-metallic heat protection switch...when the wires cool
down, it should power up.

In fact, I think Coleman is on the web...

- I thought that maybe the vibration of the wall it was mounted to while the
engine was running could be enough to damage it, but I went and felt it with
the engine running and it doesn't seem like much vibration to me...not that it
should be enough to damage the inverter. The vibration of the wall of a truck
or camper would probably be a lot worse, but I'm wondering what other people
might think about -dh_Id

Bilge- I kept a dinky little 300 watt inverter zip-tied to the dash of my
service van when I was working ashore, (recharge drill/driver batteries), and
drove it around in summer DC traffic for months.. those printed circuits are
pretty tough.

G'luck

Mutiny is a Management Tool
Select Your Tattoo while Sober
calhoun

I have the same inverter (coleman 2000, 4000peak) mounted in a sidemount
tool box on my pickup. Lots of bouncing and banging. It works fine everyday.
Only been used for 6 months but no problems. My unit uses fuses not a
breaker. Haven't had to replace any yet but it looks like a pain to access
them. Had to run 00 welding cable to carry the amps.

"LaBomba182" wrote in message
Subject: inverter vibration damage???

The vibration of the wall of a truck or
camper would probably be a lot worse, but I'm
wondering what other people might think about it.

Send it back to Coleman and see what they say.

Capt. Bill

LaBomba182

From: Earl Colby Pottinger

I make public email sent to me!

Why?

Capt. Bill
Gould 0738

I once knew a gal who suffered from inverted vibrator damage- but that's
probably a different topic entirely.

Earl Colby Pottinger wrote in message ...

Drills are very noisy in the EMP and back-voltage - It is possible that high
voltage spikes from the drill damaged your inverter. You need a line filter
between the drill and the inverter in the future.

Imaginative cukka. This didn't hurt your Coleman MSW inverter,
something it wrong with it or there is an open in your related circuit
(fuse, breaker or connection). These cheap inverters (they are all
about the same) will stand up to a fair amount of abuse. No wonder
some people send this guy criticla emails...

Diesel Generator Vibration Issue Wayne.B Boat Building 10 November 12th 04 07:57 PM
Inverter Size Fred Miller Cruising 28 January 2nd 04 10:08 AM
How to use a cheap inverter in a boat?? Dave Ericksobn Electronics 1 November 4th 03 12:24 PM
Laptop Charger Humming on Inverter Byron Creek Electronics 9 September 21st 03 07:16 AM
Inverter output question? Larry W4CSC Electronics 5 September 17th 03 03:59 PM