BoatBanter.com

-   -   Remember; Winter Sailing (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/27236-re-remember%3B-winter-sailing.html)

Thom Stewart January 23rd 05 08:25 PM

Neal,

Jealous is not the proper word to be used concerning those Hong Kong
Sails. The word is PITY. I'm so sorry you wasted $500 on them.

Got to go now Crappy. FOOTBALL TIME
See you later!

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Capt. Neal® January 23rd 05 09:37 PM

One of these days, I'm gonna have to teach you about sailing and how to
put up a vessel after a sail. Your mainsail is a mess. I can tell from the
shape of it in the picture you finally posted on your site. Don't you know
how to flake a sail onto the boom in small folds? Haven't you ever
used a topping lift to set your boom so it rests with the aft end just
slightly higher than the forward end? And that sail cover is a wrinkled
mess as well. Shame on you.

Real sailors take pride in how their boats look even at anchor or at a
dock (heaven forbid!) Your boat looks like it has an owner who is
slovenly.

CN

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Neal,

You didn't follow directions. Picture #3 is the new main with the new
cover as it is today.

Picture #3. The picture of the boat in the water as of today.

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

bell January 23rd 05 11:12 PM

I just did. Unless sbcglobal has really changed their MO, then I still
stand by my comments about them ruining several good ISPs.

John Cairns wrote:
"bell" wrote in message
Scott Vernon wrote:
it works for me.

Scotty

It works here (and always has since the "Ole" guy has
been posting it). I think it's that sbcglobal.net
thing. They took over and ruined several good ISPs. Cairns needs to
give sbcglobal.net the boot.

You needed to read Thom's response.

John Cairns

"John Cairns" wrote in
message
om...

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
BB,

I do believe, LP has put you down!!

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Keep clicking on this link and getting page cannot be
found message. Would like to see a pic of your boat,
could you please post a useable link?

John Cairns

Scott Vernon January 24th 05 08:54 AM

wrote

Your right, it is the Peconic Sound but you put a label on yourself

for
making the point.

And, yes, I'm a dickhead and asshole, as well. Thanks for pointing

it
out!

BBob

Scott Vernon January 24th 05 09:31 AM

I'd like to get a Drifter, but this year I'm getting a new genny ( I
hope).

My tack hook is right below the furler drum. Was wondering how good
those 'ATN Tacker' work.

Scotty

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Scott,

With the roller furler it leaves the tack hook empty on the bow. It

is
in front of the furler but as soon as the sail fills with air it

flies
clear. The same for the peak. I fly it from my spinnaker halyard,

which
is forward of the furler. It clears itself with the wind.

Tacking is the problem; if I want to stay clear of the upper fitting

on
the furler. I carry my lazy sheet forward of the furler so that when

tack, everything clears to the other side. The clew usually needs

to be
guided around.

Scott, in real light air, I often just run both sheet behind the

furler
and let the peak and the tack wrap around the furler.

The fact of the matter is, this is the way I fly it most of the

time.
Tacking is very simple this way and single handing I don't have to

leave
the cockpit. I have to be on the proper tack to lower it.

When it is lowered I return the Halyard to a position over the

spreader
to free it from the furler.

If you're thinking of doing it I'll send you some pictures. The

Drifter
works great. It has really kept the Spinnaker in its Bag.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

bell January 24th 05 03:39 PM

Scott Vernon wrote:
I'd like to get a Drifter, but this year I'm getting a
new genny ( I hope).

My tack hook is right below the furler drum. Was
wondering how good those 'ATN Tacker' work.

Scotty

With a drifter and a furler, you really don't want to use the hook. A
properly sized snapshackle is a much better choice. If you really need to
know how I know this, I will explain, but I'd rather not. Think of the
slackened halyard tension, super light winds, and slowly tacking the
drifter as it's weight slackens the luff.

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Scott,

With the roller furler it leaves the tack hook empty on
the bow. It is in front of the furler but as soon as the
sail fills with air it flies clear. The same for the
peak. I fly it from my spinnaker halyard, which is
forward of the furler. It clears itself with the wind.

Tacking is the problem; if I want to stay clear of the
upper fitting on the furler. I carry my lazy sheet
forward of the furler so that when I tack, everything

John Cairns January 24th 05 08:05 PM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
I'd like to get a Drifter, but this year I'm getting a new genny ( I
hope).

My tack hook is right below the furler drum. Was wondering how good
those 'ATN Tacker' work.

Scotty

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...83724087CHymmL

Works fairly well, but considering the cost ($75 IIRC) I couldn't help
thinking afterward that I might have been able to fabricate something along
the same lines that worked just as well for next to nothing.

John Cairns

Thom Stewart January 24th 05 09:10 PM

Scott & John,

First; Scotty, About the ATN Tacker. I carvered mine out off a used Tide
Plastic bottle with a line stitched to the outside with loops to take a
shackle. If you want one, send me a snail Addy and I'll ship you one.

Second; John, if you need a down haul a block to the Tack Hook, which
you're not using, and a line to the tack, thru the block and back to the
cockpit to a cleat.
Also, John, looking at the picture, you would be much better off running
your Spinnaker forward of all those lines, with your sheets outside
everything (Both working sheet and lazy sheet) Then Gybbing, you head up
a bit, let go the working sheet, pull the spinnaker thru to the wind
shadow of the Main. Set the new working sheet, Gybe the Main and away
you go on the new course

That is another joy off the Cruising Spinnaker. Easy Gybbing, no pole
and only sheets and down haul, to be set from the cockpit. No one at the
pointy end of the boat during a Gybe.

Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Thom Stewart January 24th 05 09:42 PM

John,

A good stitching job in the tack corner of your main.

Take note Neal! That's a corner of a main that has a bolt rope in the
foot of the SAIL.

Thanks for the picture,
Ole Thom

http://community.webtv.net/tassail/ThomsHomePage

Capt. Neal® January 24th 05 10:31 PM

My tack and clew are stronger looking that that! They are
triple stitched and have a series of patches so the sail in
that area is many layers thick. My sails will far outlast
yours even though I use them at least twice as much.