Nav

Capt. Neal® wrote:

I think you'll find that Donal is objecting to the phrase "right of way".

otn

That objection is trite IMHO. Why it bothers some people
so much is beyond understanding. That they seem to relish
latching onto such an unimportant issue when other far more
pressing matters are at hand shows they may not be capable
of seeing the bigger picture.

The big picture is that a real sailor does not assume the other vessel
will hold her course or give way in simple crossing situation. Only a
fool thinks there is a 'right of way' in this scenario. A real sailor
knows the other vessel may not give way for a multitude of reasons
includind CBD, RAM and NUC -let alone trawling.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Scott Vernon

Donal is a liberal. He feels the term ''right of way'' is too harsh
and may hurt somebody's feelings and give them low self esteem.

Scotty

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"otnmbrd" wrote in message

ink.net...
Capt. Neal® wrote:

Wrong! A vessel that has another on its own starboard bow
is the give-way vessel. It follows that the other vessel has
the right of way. It's right of way makes it the stand-on
vessel.

I can't figure what's so hard for some people to understand
about this.

I always sit in my motor dinghy straddling the center thwart
and looking primarily to starboard. I do this so I can give-way
to vessels that are on a crossing course and are on my starboard
bow. This tells me that vessel has the right of way. In other

it's
way shall not be impeded by me.

I hope this helps.

I think you'll find that Donal is objecting to the phrase "right

of way".

otn

That objection is trite IMHO. Why it bothers some people
so much is beyond understanding. That they seem to relish
latching onto such an unimportant issue when other far more
pressing matters are at hand shows they may not be capable
of seeing the bigger picture.

CN

John Cairns

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...
Capt. Neal® wrote:

Wrong! A vessel that has another on its own starboard bow
is the give-way vessel. It follows that the other vessel has
the right of way. It's right of way makes it the stand-on
vessel.

I can't figure what's so hard for some people to understand
about this.

I always sit in my motor dinghy straddling the center thwart
and looking primarily to starboard. I do this so I can give-way
to vessels that are on a crossing course and are on my starboard
bow. This tells me that vessel has the right of way. In other it's
way shall not be impeded by me.

I hope this helps.

I think you'll find that Donal is objecting to the phrase "right of way".

otn

It is a good point. I have a friend that has served as an expert witness at
trial, they will divvy up the blame, even if you have the "right of way".

John Cairns

otnmbrd

John Cairns wrote:

It is a good point. I have a friend that has served as an expert witness at
trial, they will divvy up the blame, even if you have the "right of way".

John Cairns

If you only, truly understand one rule .... Rule 2 .... you will realize
that it is next to impossible to have a collision where you won't have
at least some percentage of the blame.

otn
Donal

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"Donal" wrote in message

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
ups.com...
BOTH INTERNATIONAL and INLAND

hen two power-driven vessels are crossing, which
vessel has the right of way?

A. The vessel which is to starboard of the other vessel.
B. The vessel which is to port of the other vessel.
C. The larger vessel.
D. The vessel that sounds the first whistle signal.
E. Neither.

E.

Wrong! A vessel that has another on its own starboard bow
is the give-way vessel.

As always, you are correct!

It follows that the other vessel has
the right of way.

Wrong.

It's right of way makes it the stand-on
vessel.

Nope!!

I can't figure what's so hard for some people to understand
about this.

Why not?

Don't you understand that the Coll Regs also state that all vessels must
take any necessary action to avoid a collision?

There is NO right of way under the Coll Regs. I'm surprised that you seem
to know as little about the Coll Regs as Shen, or Joe.

Regards

Donal

Capt. Neal®

"Donal" wrote in message ...

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"Donal" wrote in message

[...]

And don't YOU realize that in the COLREGS all vessels must
follow the Rules that apply. In the case of stand-on and
give-way the stand on vessel is required to stand on and
the give-way vessel is required to give way. Only if the
give-way vessel does not follow the rules and causes
a close quarters situation where there is a possibility
of a collision is the stand-on vessel allowed to deviate
from the Rules.

This means the stand-on vessel has the right of way. That
it is not granted the right of way does not make the fact
of its right of way any less so.

CN

Shen44

There is NO right of way under the Coll Regs. I'm surprised that you seem
to know as little about the Coll Regs as Shen, or Joe.

Awwwww geee, Donal. I thumpt I was doing pretty good.

Shen
Donal

"Capt. Neal®" wrote in message

"Donal" wrote in message

Don't you understand that the Coll Regs also state that all vessels must
take any necessary action to avoid a collision?

There is NO right of way under the Coll Regs. I'm surprised that you

seem
to know as little about the Coll Regs as Shen, or Joe.

And don't YOU realize that in the COLREGS all vessels must
follow the Rules that apply. In the case of stand-on and
give-way the stand on vessel is required to stand on and
the give-way vessel is required to give way. Only if the
give-way vessel does not follow the rules and causes
a close quarters situation where there is a possibility
of a collision is the stand-on vessel allowed to deviate
from the Rules.

Wrong!!!!

In these circumstances, the "stand on" vessel is not *allowed* to deviate,
it is *required* to deviate from the rules.

Regards

Donal

Nav

What you have forgotten is that the starboard rule does not always apply
between power vessels.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Capt. Neal® wrote:

"Donal" wrote in message ...

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

Michael

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
ups.com...
BOTH INTERNATIONAL and INLAND

hen two power-driven vessels are crossing, which
vessel has the right of way?

A. The vessel which is to starboard of the other vessel.
B. The vessel which is to port of the other vessel.
C. The larger vessel.
D. The vessel that sounds the first whistle signal.

Rules of the Road Question #4 Bart Senior ASA 6 December 9th 04 12:43 AM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Kayaking Road Trip - Question on sharing the cost. . . . Bobo General 2 March 9th 04 05:28 PM