BoatBanter.com

-   -   remember Pearl (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/25932-remember-pearl.html)

Scott Vernon December 7th 04 12:49 PM

remember Pearl

Here's to all the brave men who lost their lives that day, and to
those that followed to push back the yellow menace.

Salute.

December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy...FDR

Vito December 7th 04 01:52 PM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Here's to all the brave men who lost their lives that day, and to
those that followed to push back the yellow menace.

Salute.

December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy...FDR

Yes! I had the good fortune to work for and with some of those men. Nothing
I have seen in newsreels and history presentations really describes the
heroism they displayed. Each individual has a story in which heroism was
the rule of the day from firing on strafing planes with .45s to matching
arms and legs bodies to put into caskets.

Let us remember with a vow to face our present day threats with the same
courage and a one finger salute to terrorism.

And that Bin Ladin is still on the loose .....

DSK December 7th 04 02:06 PM

Scott Vernon wrote:
Here's to all the brave men who lost their lives that day, and to
those that followed to push back the yellow menace.

Salute.

December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy...FDR

Yep. I was down at the college early this morning for "colors" with the
local NROTC. Thanks for remembering.

This might provide some interesting reading:
http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq66-1.htm

Regards
Doug King

[email protected] December 7th 04 02:50 PM

Scott Vernon wrote:
Here's to all the brave men who lost their lives that day, and to
those that followed to push back the yellow menace.

Salute.

Ill second that Scotty! We all should propose a toast to our resident
WWII sailor.. Ole Thom.
Joe

December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy...FDR

Jonathan G an z December 7th 04 06:02 PM

My uncle nearly died at Pearl. Refuses to talk about it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

[email protected] December 7th 04 06:59 PM

Jonathan G an z wrote:
My uncle nearly died at Pearl. Refuses to talk about it.

Well you ought to get him to talk about it. I sugest recording the
conversation. And I suggest you do it soon, or his story will be
forgotten.

Do you know anything about what happened to him?

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Thom Stewart December 7th 04 07:26 PM

Thanks Group,

Dec.,7th, 1941 was the day that Branded my generation. Us Old Timers
vowed to make the bad things in our world better. We thought we did.
Trouble with living so long, is seeing that we created other problems.
SORRY

Thanks for Rememdering Pearl Harbor!

Ole Thom

Capt. Neal® December 7th 04 07:46 PM

Sorry, Old Chap, but Pearl Harbor means almost nothing
these days. It's ancient history that's not even being
taught in the liberal public schools anymore.

It's a good thing people of your age were not like many
of the people my age whom I am ashamed of. People
like that war-protesting ******* John Kerry and Jane
Fonda and Michael Moore and even Bobsprit are still
pulling their crap even to this day.

They learned nothing from Pearl Harbor. All they
learned to do is shirk their responsibility and whine
and complain and engage in anti-American activities.

They spit in the faces of WWII vets like yourself.

Would that my generation had the guts and moral
fiber of yours. The world would be much better off.

Thank God that the 18-28 year-old generation, for
the most part has embraced patriotic activity again
and are willing to fight so we all can remain free.

Hope remains for a better future. Your example has
helped inspire these young patriots.

So, don't ever apologize for your service to this
country just because there were future consequences
beyond your control.

Respectfully,
Capt. Neal
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jonathan Gan z December 7th 04 07:47 PM

He was in the barracks that morning. Got up early, although that wasn't
typical for him.. a late riser all his life. Went out for a smoke, and the
barracks was hit. Killed a bunch of his friends. He wouldn't say much more
than that, but to this day, he's up early. Probably won't last much longer.
He's diabetic and on dialysis.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote in message
oups.com...

Capt. Neal® December 7th 04 08:02 PM

You are such a dope. A motorcycle made in 1975 in Japan has nothing
to do with Pearl Harbor.

Besides, you Harley Davidson people are so stupid you don't even
realize more than half the part on your so-called American bike
are made in Japan, China, Taiwan, Mexico etc. There is no
such thing as an American motorcycle anymore.

What a DICK!

CN

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:46:13 -0500, Capt. Neal®
wrote:

Sorry, Old Chap, but Pearl Harbor means almost nothing
these days. It's ancient history that's not even being
taught in the liberal public schools anymore.

It's a good thing people of your age were not like many
of the people my age whom I am ashamed of. People
like that war-protesting ******* John Kerry and Jane
Fonda and Michael Moore and even Bobsprit are still
pulling their crap even to this day.

They learned nothing from Pearl Harbor. All they
learned to do is shirk their responsibility and whine
and complain and engage in anti-American activities.

Says the dope who has been boasting all day about his Japanese
motorcycle and how he thinks it can whip any American motorcycle.

What a fine way to observe PEARL HARBOR DAY.

BB

DSK December 7th 04 08:09 PM

Thom Stewart wrote:
Thanks Group,

Dec.,7th, 1941 was the day that Branded my generation. Us Old Timers
vowed to make the bad things in our world better. We thought we did.
Trouble with living so long, is seeing that we created other problems.
SORRY

Thanks for Rememdering Pearl Harbor!

Thank YOU, Thom!

A few years back I met an old man in an airport. We were both waiting
for flights. This fellow was wearing a Navy ballcap that said "BB-37 USS
Oklahoma" across the front. I went over and introduced myself as a Navy
vet. We chatted politely for a little while.

His daughter, who was traveling with him, prompted me to ask him about
Pearl Harbor. He said it didn't bother him to talk about it, and he was
on the Oklahoma that morning.

For those of you who don't know much about the attack on Pearl Harbor,
here is a brief summary- the carriers, obviously the highest priority
targets, were elsewhere... that left the battleships sitting in a row,
obviously the biggest prizes.

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/e...hbr/ph-bba.htm

The USS Arizona went down, a few anti-aircraft guns firing defiantly,
but she was a blazing wreck with 2,000+ casualties. The USS Maryland was
hit hard and it took almost 2 years to repair her. The USS Oklahoma was
hit almost as hard as the Arizona, and capsized in her berth. Hundreds
of men were trapped inside.

My acquaintance at the airport was one of those men. He said, "You've
been in damage control training, so you can imagine what it was like."
Actually, I could barely picture it, and still get cold chills thinking
about it. Absolutely dark, locked in a small metal compartment filled
with loose equipment, filling up with oily water. He said, "I honestly
don't remember most of what happened... probably a blessing. I woke up
in the hospital."

This is day for remembering & honoring all who have made a sacrifice for
this country, and for our freedoms.

Sincerely
Douglas S. King ex-BT1(SW)

LLoyd Bonafide December 7th 04 08:14 PM

I'm a Korean War veteran and I can tell you I never let one of those Japs
into my heating, ventilation and air conditioning company I owned in
Alhambra, California.

Lloyd Bonafide

DSK December 7th 04 08:23 PM

Crap'n Neal® wrote:
My respect for you, Mr. King, just went up several notches.

But, it still won't keep me from slamming you for being a
motorboater.

You're like a monkey that just can't let go of the nuts... since you're
a pathetic wheezing wanna-be, with few & paltry accomplishments, you
need to insult others to puff yourself up.

The fact remains that I've sailed a heck of a lot more than you.

DSK

Overproof December 7th 04 08:32 PM

"DSK" wrote in message

You're like a monkey that just can't let go of the nuts...

My dad says the best way to catch a monkey is tie a narrow necked flask to a
stump... put fruit inside.... the monkey reaches in, grabs the bait and
refuses to let go. He can't get his hand out without releasing the bait. He
won't let go of the bait because he's a victim of his own instincts. You
just walk up and keep clubbing him till he's dead.

Then again he also told me the best way to kill Baboons is to put out a
barrel of beer. Wait a few hours and kill every drunken Baboon you see....
:-D

CM

Pastor Willian Rennick December 7th 04 08:42 PM

Oh yeah! But you look up Margaret Gray's skirt whilst she's
singing a song. Shame on you LLoyd!

Now he's a Christian man and I tell you no good Christian man is gonna go
looking up a lady's dress unless something is lost or caught up in there.
Why I bet that Margaret Gray had done stole a bunch of Bibles and wus
carrying them off between her butt cheeks! Margaret wuz singing cuz dem
Bibles be cold! Amen!

Pastor William Rennick

Capt. Neal® December 7th 04 09:38 PM

wrote in message ...
On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:02:48 -0500, Capt. Neal®
wrote:

You are such a dope. A motorcycle made in 1975 in Japan has nothing
to do with Pearl Harbor.

Yeah - why buy American? Everybody should be asking themselves that
question. Especially those claiming to be patriots.

Besides, you Harley Davidson people are so stupid you don't even
realize more than half the part on your so-called American bike
are made in Japan, China, Taiwan, Mexico etc. There is no
such thing as an American motorcycle anymore.

I know that very well. However, I also know that the profits from
Harley stay here and go back into our own economy, while the profits
from your Suzuki went to Japan. All that did was make our balance of
trade worse. Meanwhile the Japs wouldn't let American farmers sell
rice in their country. **** you and all the anti-American traitors
just like you!

I bet John Wayne and Ronald Reagan never rode a Suzuki!

Have yourself another cup of rice, traitor!

Says BB as he types away on his made in Taiwan computer,
smoothes down the wrinkles on his made in India shirt,
his Chinese jeans, while he watches his Japanese
Sony television and pigs out on Mexican produce.

Yes, sir, you are all American . . .

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahhahahhahahhahahhaha!

CN

Scott Vernon December 8th 04 01:31 AM

Ok big mouth, tell us what American bike he could have bought in 1975
for that kind of money.

Tell us which American bike he could have bought that weighs less than
2 tons.

Tell us which American bike he could have bought in '75 that had the
same performance as his S380.

SV

wrote:

[...]

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:46:13 -0500,

Capt. Neal® December 8th 04 01:32 AM

Excellent point. I could have bought a Harley Davidson
Sprint - a bigger piece of crap has never been made.

CN

wrote:

[...]

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:46:13 -0500,

Scout December 8th 04 01:42 AM

As bad as the Harleys are, I stopped in at the (West Chester) Indian Shop to
look over the new models. 2 of them were dripping oil on the showroom floor!
I did like the belt drives though.
Scout

wrote:

[...]

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:46:13 -0500,

Horvath December 8th 04 01:50 AM

wrote this crap:

You are such a dope. A motorcycle made in 1975 in Japan has nothing
to do with Pearl Harbor.

Besides, you Harley Davidson people are so stupid you don't even
realize more than half the part on your so-called American bike
are made in Japan, China, Taiwan, Mexico etc. There is no
such thing as an American motorcycle anymore.

That's a myth made up by riceburner fans. Harley-Davidson uses mostly
American parts. Any parts made outside America have to be approved by
the executive board. The only Japanese parts on mine are the tires.

Horvath December 8th 04 01:53 AM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 20:32:31 GMT, "Overproof"
wrote this crap:

"DSK" wrote in message

You're like a monkey that just can't let go of the nuts...

My dad says the best way to catch a monkey is tie a narrow necked flask to a
stump... put fruit inside.... the monkey reaches in, grabs the bait and
refuses to let go. He can't get his hand out without releasing the bait. He
won't let go of the bait because he's a victim of his own instincts. You
just walk up and keep clubbing him till he's dead.

Then again he also told me the best way to kill Baboons is to put out a
barrel of beer. Wait a few hours and kill every drunken Baboon you see....

Do they taste like chicken?

John Cairns December 8th 04 02:24 AM

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Thanks Group,

Dec.,7th, 1941 was the day that Branded my generation. Us Old Timers
vowed to make the bad things in our world better. We thought we did.
Trouble with living so long, is seeing that we created other problems.
SORRY

Thanks for Rememdering Pearl Harbor!

Ole Thom

You guys did fine, it was the fellas after you that screwed everything up.
John Cairns

Vito December 8th 04 04:46 PM

"Scott Vernon" wrote

Tell us which American bike he could have bought in '75 that had the
same performance as his S380.

XR-750 IIRC (The factory flat trackers) or any of their roadracers. Didn't
see many in showrooms but they were for sale.

Vito December 8th 04 04:48 PM

"Capt. Neal®" wrote
Excellent point. I could have bought a Harley Davidson
Sprint - a bigger piece of crap has never been made.

But H-D didn't make it, it was Italian.

Capt. Neal® December 8th 04 04:53 PM

So much for your theory that Harleys are made in the USA . . .

CN

"Capt. Neal®" wrote

Vito December 8th 04 07:00 PM

"Scout" wrote
As bad as the Harleys are, .....

grin
I still have a 1990 FLHTC I bought new. It'd been 92,000 miles when it
cracked a valve guide in 110 deg heat in NV but it went on to LA then back
to VA where the Dealer replaced the heads under warranty. Next year the
stator died in Four Corners but since I could turn the headlight off I rode
it to Flagstaff, where it was fixed that morning, and when I got back to VA
the dealer replaced both engine cases - including all the lower end
bearings - free, under warranty. It now has about 200,000 miles on it. I
replaced the belt and sprockets at 135,000, rear tyres every 12,000, fronts
half as often, and changed oil and filters and used a gallon of gas every 40
miles.Valve adjustments? $400/10,000mi on rice but never needed on H-Ds.

By contrast a buddy bought a new RZ-350 just like mine but never got to ride
it cuz it seized and the dealer kept it over a year waiting for pistons. Had
plenty of oversizes but no stockers and Yamahahaha said no rebore - had to
fix it right no matter how long that took!! He sold it 'as is' and took a
bath. Tell him how wunnerful your ricer is but watch out, he mastered in
both rifle and pistol.

Similarly, my new R1100RT BM ran like crap so I blew $700 (IIRC) on a major
service that didn't help. Wrench said it needed a minor adjustment (0=0 for
y'all BMrs) but it'd void my warranty. Happened to about 1 in 10 bike but
BMW NA's position was that I had the finest bike in the world and should be
happy even if it didn't run. Ditto the chrome coming off my R1100C and the
goofy wear that ruins $125+ front tyres every 4-5000 miles and ... and ....

Did I mention that I can still get parts for most any H-D and Brit, even
'new' Amal carbs, but not brake parts for an original CB750 Honda ... or
that many BMW dealers don't work on "vintage" (R100) BMWs from " back in the
80s" anymore?

That's why my 1990 H-D still has a home while others have come and gone. It
shares a garage with my Oilfield and wife's bikes: a 112 HP Kaw 600, a '79
Bunnyville, a 1200 Sporty, a BSA 250 that Dick Mann built for 'Smiley'
Cameron and he gave her, and a mid-60s F3 bike (Yammy 125 in Van Tech). She
rarely lets me ride them cuz I totaled her new Triumph 1200 last year. I had
to sell my 1200 Kaw and ST-2 Duc cuz I my neck can't hack the position since
that crash (No! Not old age! I'm in denial). Lost $1000s on each of them but
my old hog is till worth the same $$$ I paid for it back in '89. Remind me
to ride it down to the boat Saturday ....

BTW the reason older H-Ds leaked was that their Automatic Chain Oilers were
maladjusted but y'all knowed that right?

Vito December 8th 04 07:02 PM

"Horvath" wrote

....... The only Japanese parts on mine are the tires.

He's not lying! There are no Jap parts on a Harley Sprint. (c:

Vito December 8th 04 07:12 PM

My dad says the best way to catch a monkey.....

Tie a bunch of fruit too high to reach but leave a ladder under it then let
in 5-10 monkeys. Whenever they start up the ladder hit them with a fire
hose! When they quit trying replace one monkey. When the new monk goes for
the fruit hose him off the ladder then hose the rest down too. Repeat with
another monkey. Soon the old monkeys will not let a new one near the ladder.
Each day replce the oldest monkey till no monkey has ever been hosed. The
older ones will still beat the crap out of any newcomer who heads for the
fruit even tho none of them have ever been hosed. Just like some people we
know .....

Vito December 8th 04 07:19 PM

"John Cairns" wrote in message
om...

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Thanks Group,

Dec.,7th, 1941 was the day that Branded my generation. Us Old Timers
vowed to make the bad things in our world better. We thought we did.
Trouble with living so long, is seeing that we created other problems.
SORRY

Thanks for Rememdering Pearl Harbor!

Ole Thom

You guys did fine, it was the fellas after you that screwed everything up.
John Cairns

Second that!! It WAS better into and thru the 1960s. Bigger incomes, nicer
homes, better cars and bikes, less gummymint interference, et al. Then the
beancounters who turned 'nam into a quagmire and it turned American against
American but that wasn't your generation Thom, or even mine.

Bob Crantz December 8th 04 10:42 PM

When you were in the 4 corners did you notice the miles and miles and miles
of booze bottles on the sides of the road? Tell me you didn't drive through
the reservation at night.

Amen!

Bob Crantz

Capt. Neal® December 8th 04 10:47 PM

Harley Davidson riders are among the most feeble minded
people in the world and Vito proves it with his justifying
the many Harley major breakdowns on the basis that
parts are available. Of course parts are available.
There would be NO Harleys on the road if this were
not the case.

CN

Horvath December 9th 04 01:19 AM

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:47:46 -0500, Capt. Neal®
wrote this crap:

Harley Davidson riders are among the most feeble minded
people in the world and Vito proves it with his justifying
the many Harley major breakdowns on the basis that
parts are available. Of course parts are available.

People who can't afford Harleys are always the most jealous. My lawn
tractor is worth more than your crappy Soo-sucky.

Maxprop December 9th 04 02:14 AM

"Vito" wrote in message

Similarly, my new R1100RT BM ran like crap so I blew $700 (IIRC) on a

major
service that didn't help. Wrench said it needed a minor adjustment (0=0

for
y'all BMrs) but it'd void my warranty. Happened to about 1 in 10 bike but
BMW NA's position was that I had the finest bike in the world and should

be
happy even if it didn't run. Ditto the chrome coming off my R1100C and

the
goofy wear that ruins $125+ front tyres every 4-5000 miles and ... and

So you have the infamous BMW "surge" that BMW corporate denies even exists,
eh. So does my R1150RT. The local wrench did a fine job of minimizing it
without resorting to the Rob Lentini mod. (0-0, as you say) but it's still
there. To boot, BMW rearended my local dealership and ran them out of
business, so now we have no official BMW service here now. The wrench went
independent, and I use him for most things, but it's so damned typical of
BMW corporate to screw over its long-time customers. Hate the *******s, and
I've bought my last BMW bike.

Good luck with your bike, and do the Lentini mod, now that it's out of
warranty. The mod works perfectly, albeit the fuel economy drops a little
and the emissions get slightly dirtier. (Only Mr. Ganz will get his panties
in a wad over that.)

Max

Scott Vernon December 9th 04 02:14 AM

the XRs were nice, but at what price?

I bet you're *still* mad at Bubba.

Scotty

"Scott Vernon" wrote

Horvath December 9th 04 12:06 PM

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:14:39 -0500, "Scott Vernon"
wrote this crap:

the XRs were nice, but at what price?

My bike is an XR1000. Purchased brand new in 1984 for nine grand.
And well worth the price.

Vito December 9th 04 03:08 PM

"Bob Crantz" wrote in message
ink.net...
When you were in the 4 corners did you notice the miles and miles and

miles
of booze bottles on the sides of the road?

Naw, being from VA trash is too common to notice )c:. But I loved being
buzzed by flocks of Navaho teens on fast 600s - Crazy Horse lives, just on
an iron steed.