Flex Flint

Default Mini-J, Miniji, ...

Can anyone show me the way to more info and/or boatplans about/for the
"miniaturised" America Cup-sailer, called Mini-J or Miniji, ...example
he http://www.big-boy.com/minij/ . Very little info to find, all
help welcome.

Also posted in news:nl.sport.varen (dutch-language newsgroup).

Best regards,
--
Flint

DSK

Flex Flint wrote:

Can anyone show me the way to more info and/or boatplans about/for the
"miniaturised" America Cup-sailer, called Mini-J or Miniji, ...example
he http://www.big-boy.com/minij/ . Very little info to find, all
help welcome.

You mean like this?
http://www.boats.com/content/default...ontentid=15612

Or like this?
http://www.gaviayachts.com/history.htm
http://www.gaviayachts.com/photoalbum.htm

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Flex Flint

"DSK" schreef in bericht

[...]

You mean like this?
http://www.boats.com/content/default...ontentid=15612

Or like this?
http://www.gaviayachts.com/history.htm
http://www.gaviayachts.com/photoalbum.htm

If they're not the same, they sure do look alike, although the LOA
given in the link I gave is shorter than the one given for the "AC
4.5".

Furthermore it would be strange if the article didn't even mention a
"possible" other name.

There's a club here in Belgium that sails the little things (the
Mini-J's, they don't mention a boat called AC4.5), so I'll send the
guys an e-mail to ask for some more info.

Thanks much for the help and the links!
--
Regards,
Flint

Seahag

"DSK" wrote:
Flex Flint wrote:

Can anyone show me the way to more info and/or boatplans about/for the
"miniaturised" America Cup-sailer, called Mini-J or Miniji, ...example
he http://www.big-boy.com/minij/ . Very little info to find, all
help welcome.

You mean like this?
http://www.boats.com/content/default...ontentid=15612

Or like this?
http://www.gaviayachts.com/history.htm
http://www.gaviayachts.com/photoalbum.htm

There's been a couple of those sitting outside Bacon & Assoc. for years!

Seahag

Flex Flint

"Seahag" schreef in bericht

[...]

There's been a couple of those sitting outside Bacon & Assoc. for
years!

Who's address is somewhere on the Atlantic (French) Coast, not?

I mailed the president of a sailingclub here in Belgium (the previous
link to http://www.big-boy.com/minij/ makes him suspect that's the
link to the facility producing the Mini-J's), who was kind enough to
send me some more info on the boats:

-- Some more pictures: www.miniji.be

-- A webcast (sweet!):
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...e+Mini+J&hl=en
(link goes to Google's cache in case the magazine changes its
content).

-- The man's thoughts on the AC4.5: probably a model proposed at a
boatfair in Düsseldorf, Germany last year; carbon, optimalised, but
much more expensive and thus less suited for beginners who tend to
brake things down rather quickly ... .

More info always welcome!
--
Best regards,
Flint

DSK

"Seahag" schreef in bericht

Flex Flint wrote:
Who's address is somewhere on the Atlantic (French) Coast, not?

Nope, Annapolis Maryland USA. It's on the same body of water though

I mailed the president of a sailingclub here in Belgium (the previous
link to http://www.big-boy.com/minij/ makes him suspect that's the
link to the facility producing the Mini-J's), who was kind enough to
send me some more info on the boats:

-- Some more pictures: www.miniji.be

Nice links, thanks.

-- A webcast (sweet!):
http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cache...e+Mini+J&hl=en
(link goes to Google's cache in case the magazine changes its
content).

Looking at the pictures and the video: it looks to me like most of the
sailors are sitting too far aft and letting the boat heel too much. It
looks like these things move nicely in light air though. And I like the
little spinnakers... fun!

-- The man's thoughts on the AC4.5: probably a model proposed at a
boatfair in Düsseldorf, Germany last year; carbon, optimalised, but
much more expensive and thus less suited for beginners who tend to
brake things down rather quickly ... .

More info always welcome!

Sorry, I can't add more. A dentist I used to race with had a pair of
similar boats, mini-twelves or something like that. They steered with
pedals which I could never get used to.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Seahag

"Seahag" schreef in bericht

Flex Flint wrote:
Who's address is somewhere on the Atlantic (French) Coast, not?

Nope, Annapolis Maryland USA. It's on the same body of water though

Thanks, Doug. I tried to check out their web site but they don't seem to
have the boat/s listed.

Seahag