Joe

Default What in your Ditch Kit Abandon ship bag

I know most here have small baots that never leave the sight of land.
But perhaps one or 2 of the ASA sailors have a ditch kit survival bag
kit.

It the first thing you grab after launching the raft or lifeboat.

Whats in yours?

I have flares (all kinds), smoke signals, signal mirror, water,
carmel, smokes, fishing gear, knife, patch kit, first aid kit,
matches, HH VHF, HH GPS, flashlight, strobe, .25 pistol, whistles,
knife, solar blankets.

My kit is in a floating watertight surplus 50cal ammo box and painted
on it is ABANDON SHIP KIT

What else should an deep water ditch kit contain?

Joe
SAIL LOCO

I don't have a ditch kit. If I ditch I can be home in a short period of time
watching TV.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Scott Vernon

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
I know most here have small baots that never leave the sight of

land.

Joe, would you respect me more if I did sail out of sight of land?

Scotty

Scout

you do understand that the answer will most likely change in the morning?
Scout

"Scott Vernon" wrote
Joe, would you respect me more if I did sail out of sight of land?

Joe

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
"Joe" wrote in message
om...
I know most here have small baots that never leave the sight of

land.

Joe, would you respect me more if I did sail out of sight of land?

Scotty

Sailing out of the sight of land is not deep sea, open ocean. But its a start.

I would respect your sailing ability more perhaps.

Joe

Scott Vernon

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
I know most here have small baots that never leave the sight of

land.

Joe, would you respect me more if I did sail out of sight of land?

Scotty

Sailing out of the sight of land is not deep sea, open ocean. But

its a start.

I would respect your sailing ability more perhaps.

OK, hold that thought.

Scotty

Donal

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in message
om...
I know most here have small baots that never leave the sight of

land.

Joe, would you respect me more if I did sail out of sight of land?

Wake up, Scott,
Joe only sails out of land when the visibility is less than 200 yds!

Regards

Donal

Nav

Hi Joe,

My ditch bag is a clear water proof soft bag that will float and is very
easy to carry. EPIRB and VHF with spare batteries for the VHF and
waterproof flash lights (one has high efficiency LED bulb -I modified a
maglight myself and the other super bright halogen bulb). Very good
fishing lures and line (mainly to take care of boredom?) 6 compact dual
smoke/flame flares, 10 l water, high sugar emergency ration bars,
inflatable solar still. 2 tubs zinc oxide (sun screen and sores). Water
proof matches. Mini pocket bible, water proof paper and pencils. Usual
first aid kit with sutures and iodine as well as sea sickness tablets,
salt tablets, diarrhea tablets, two types of antibiotic and appetite
reduction tablets. Needles and thread. Length of paracord and 2 swiss
army knives. Passports go in it as well if we go offshore. Whistles and
strobes are on all the lifejackets.

I didn't include a GPS. I have no gun as I don't think I'm going to have
to fight off my rescuers...

Cheers