sv \Sensoria\

Default Canadian Navy Sinks American Ship

BARNSTABLE, Mass. (AP) - A replica of an 18th-century schooner
hand-built by a Barnstable man sank in Halifax Harbor, in Nova Scotia,
when a retired naval warship broke free from its mooring during
Hurricane Juan and slammed into it.

Larry Mahan was aboard the Larinda, a replica of a 1767 Boston
schooner, when the Canadian ship crashed into its side on Monday, the
Cape Cod Times reported. Mahan was only able to grab some clothes and
a few papers before the schooner went under.

"It was the scariest thing I've ever been through," Mahan said from
his hotel room in Halifax. "Everybody was frantically running around,
trying to save everything and trying to save the ship.

"The water was just barreling in from the hole in the side," he said.
"Half my body was submerged. At that point I told everybody to get off
the ship, it was going under."

No one was injured.

Canadian officials don't know how the warship, the HMCS Sackville,
broke free. Canadian Coast Guard officials said that winds from
Hurricane Juan reached 90 mph, creating huge swells, knocking out
power to much of Halifax and uprooting trees.

Mahan put 26 years into building the 86-foot concrete-hulled schooner
and said he was devastated by the loss.

"How do I put into words the end of 30 years of my life?" he said.
"When I was in the fourth grade I had this dream to build the biggest
and best ship on Cape Cod. When I finally finished, it was like a
dream come true."

The Larinda has sailed into ports in seven foreign countries and 19
U.S. states. It once served as a goodwill ambassador in Cuba and
helped teach schoolchildren in Panama the basics of sailing, he said.
It also sailed alongside the USS Constitution in 1997 and welcomed an
international flotilla of Tall Ships as they sailed through the Cape
Cod Canal during Boston's Tall Ships 2000.

"Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world have been on
this boat and it meant a lot to very many people," Mahan said.

He began building the Larinda in his backyard in 1970 and first set
sail in 1996. Over the years, more than 1,000 volunteers visited his
home in the village of Marstons Mills to help out.

The vessel was built from a special concrete with 2,800 square feet of
red sail. The frog figurehead, Oliver, was carved from a 100-year-old
cypress. The schooner was painted off-white and green and adorned with
hand-carved seahorse banisters and murals of sailing gnomes.

The Larinda was in Halifax preparing to travel to Lunenburg, Nova
Scotia, before returning to Cape Cod this weekend. Mahan said he'll
wait in Halifax for several days to see if the ship can be hoisted
from the sea floor. But he said he wasn't encouraged the ship could be
salvaged because it had been so severely damaged.

"I'm in Canada and I have people coming up to me, giving me hugs,
crying and showing their support," Mahan said. "She was well-loved -
and she loved everyone back, too."

sv \Sensoria\

Forgot to add......

A replica of an 18th-century schooner
I did not know that ship builders used ferro-cement in the 18th
century.......

Gotta love that ferro-cement....... strong as a foundation.....sinks quicker
then stone.......

"sv "Sensoria"" wrote in message
[...]

Simple Simon

The only thing that sinks faster is steel.

S.Simon

"sv "Sensoria"" wrote in message ...

Gotta love that ferro-cement....... strong as a foundation.....sinks quicker
then stone.......

Joe

"Simple Simon" wrote in message ...
The only thing that sinks faster is steel.

S.Simon

Perhaps steel will sink faster than Concrete, but it is not as
brittle. And all Cement boats have a frame of steel btw. Not much you
can do when a warship blows down on you but sink or get crushed.

However a steel boat like RedCloud with 4 water tight compartment has
a better chance of surviving than any fiberglass, or concrete boat.

Cut the mustard would pop like a pimple, and not even scratch a
warship. Well it could scratch, dent and damage a Canadian warship,
but not one from the USA.

Joe
MSV RedCloud

"sv "Sensoria"" wrote in message ...

Gotta love that ferro-cement....... strong as a foundation.....sinks quicker
then stone.......

sv \Sensoria\

Don't **** us off or we will burn down the White House.....like we did in
1812....