Default ILC 40 ?

I have had the oppurtunity to crew on a fairly neat racing boat, which has
been registered in the races as an "ILC 40".

I have tried to find some information about this type of boat on the 'net,
but to no avail. I found something on the ILC 40 rule, which makes things
difficult - and found some information that seems to relate the ILC 40 to
IMS-type boats.

I am just trying to find out some more details about this boat - as well as
information on how to trim this type of boat well - as it is new to the
owners as well.

It seems to have a rating of 1.45 - but I have no clue if the ratings are
international or local to Norway.

Anyone with information on this boat type (or pointers of course), would be
greatly appreciated.

Regards,

-Inge

DSK

I have had the oppurtunity to crew on a fairly neat racing boat, which has
been registered in the races as an "ILC 40".

Yep, they're fairly neat all right!

I have tried to find some information about this type of boat on the 'net,
but to no avail. I found something on the ILC 40 rule, which makes things
difficult - and found some information that seems to relate the ILC 40 to
IMS-type boats.

IMS and ILC are two different things. The IMS is a handicap system that
takes a complex set of measurements of the boat and produces a rating,
after the boat is designed, built and entered in a race. IMS includes
many classes & sizes of boats.

The ILC-40 is a development class like the Int'l 14; in other words
there is a set of measurements & rules involved but it is used to
determine the design of the boat from a blank piece of paper. Actually
it uses a set of complex computer programs for predicting the boat's
velocity under varying conditions (VPPs). Once it is designed as an
ILC-40 and built, it can race in the ILC-40 class with no handicap, or
race under IMS or PYS or PHRF or Americap or any other rating system.
Most ILC-40s look pretty much the same but they're not one-designs.

I am just trying to find out some more details about this boat - as well as
information on how to trim this type of boat well - as it is new to the
owners as well.

Hoo boy! Oz, can you tell him how to sail one of these? I never have,
only watched enviously as they wooshed by!

The ILC-40s I've seen were fractional rigs, some with running backstays
& checkstays, others with just running backs. Mast rake & bend is
important. The sailmaker should have provided a set of tuning guides, if
not get on the horn to the sailmaker and get them! Don't overbend the
mast, they have a tendency to break!

It seems to have a rating of 1.45 - but I have no clue if the ratings are
international or local to Norway.

Anyone with information on this boat type (or pointers of course), would be
greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can't be more help. Basically, you sail it like a big dinghy.
These boats will GO... I expect you'll be the scratch boat in any local
fleet.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

I am just trying to find out some more details about this boat - as well
as
Sorry I can't be more help. Basically, you sail it like a big dinghy.
These boats will GO... I expect you'll be the scratch boat in any local
fleet.

It sure goes - and in our local weekly regattas we are always boat number 2
(there is an A-cat with a rating of 1.75 over our 1.45 )

Just as unfortunate, we all too often end up on the next-to-last spot,
before the aforementioned A-cat...

So I guess we are not yet on top of everything.

I guess we will have a handicap with there being no boats with a similar
rating that we can compare to during the race.
Thanks for your input!

-Inge