Claxton

Default Boat in movie Dead Calm

Greetings to all

My wife and I just bought the movie Dead Calm, we haven't seen it in about
ten years now and have gained a great intrest in sailing since then. We
were wondering what type of boat is in the movie and how big it is. We are
disagreeing on how big she is.

Thanks for any replies.

Horvath

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:37:08 -0400, "Claxton" wrote
this crap:

Greetings to all

My wife and I just bought the movie Dead Calm, we haven't seen it in about
ten years now and have gained a great intrest in sailing since then. We
were wondering what type of boat is in the movie and how big it is. We are
disagreeing on how big she is.

Thanks for any replies.

It's a sailboat, probably a sloop.

You're welcome.

Scott Vernon

Which boat? There were two of them.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

"Claxton" wrote in message
Greetings to all

My wife and I just bought the movie Dead Calm, we haven't seen it in

about
ten years now and have gained a great intrest in sailing since then.

We
were wondering what type of boat is in the movie and how big it is.

We are
disagreeing on how big she is.

Thanks for any replies.

Claxton

Thanks for the heads up. I guess that explains the big white sheets they
hung up. I thought maybe they were speed boats since they kept using the
motors. Gee whiz. Glad a genius like you took the time to respond.

A sloop is a single masted sailboat. A schooner is a double masted boat
with the masts of the same size. That's what the Orpheus was--the black,
leaky, death boat. A ketch has two masts, the smaller one in the stern.
That's what Rhea and John were sailing. What we really want to know is who
the manufacturer was and what size it was.

Thanks for being an asshole.

"Claxton" wrote in message
Greetings to all

My wife and I just bought the movie Dead Calm, we haven't seen it in about
ten years now and have gained a great intrest in sailing since then. We
were wondering what type of boat is in the movie and how big it is. We are
disagreeing on how big she is.

Thanks for any replies.

Scott Vernon

"Claxton" wrote

A schooner is a double masted boat

At LEAST 2 masts. Can be more.

with the masts of the same size.

The fore mast can be shorter.

That's what the Orpheus was--the black,
leaky, death boat. A ketch has two masts, the smaller one in the

stern.

But ahead of the rudder post, otherwise it's a Yawl.

That's what Rhea and John were sailing. What we really want to know

is who
the manufacturer was and what size it was.

Sorry, don't know. Like the movie though.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

Claxton

Thanks. Good corrections. You're right about all of them. We are pretty
new to the whole sailing thing, and without looking it all up I wanted to
respond to Horvath's brilliant answer to what kind of boat was in the movie
(a sailboat--duh! followed by the "probably a sloop" thing that exposed even
more ignorance than we have about sailboats). The good thing about
ignorance is that it can be corrected with study. Stupidity lasts a
lifetime.

We too think it is a good movie, although I think she'd have been wiser to
kill the jerk when she had the chance. Of course, if she had to tie him up,
tying his hands behind his back instead of in front would also have been
wiser. Whatchagonnado? It's a movie, and an entertaining one at that.

Thanks again for the intelligent and kind responses. We sailed with a guy
this summer (just a day cruise, sadly) who could tell us about every boat we
saw--make, approx size and so forth. He might have known the answer, but we
didn't think to ask him if he knew the movie.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

"Claxton" wrote

A schooner is a double masted boat

At LEAST 2 masts. Can be more.

with the masts of the same size.

The fore mast can be shorter.

That's what the Orpheus was--the black,
leaky, death boat. A ketch has two masts, the smaller one in the

stern.

But ahead of the rudder post, otherwise it's a Yawl.

That's what Rhea and John were sailing. What we really want to know

is who
the manufacturer was and what size it was.

Sorry, don't know. Like the movie though.

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville Pa _/)__/)_/)_

Scott Vernon

Don't be too hard on 'ol Horvath, he tries, he's sincere, but the
Alzheimer's seems to have taken over..

You have a boat? What? Where are you?

"Claxton" wrote in message
news264d.288033$Lj.83689@fed1read03...
[...]

Horvath

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:58:19 -0400, "Claxton" wrote
this crap:

Thanks. Good corrections. You're right about all of them. We are pretty
new to the whole sailing thing, and without looking it all up I wanted to
respond to Horvath's brilliant answer to what kind of boat was in the movie
(a sailboat--duh! followed by the "probably a sloop" thing that exposed even
more ignorance than we have about sailboats). The good thing about
ignorance is that it can be corrected with study. Stupidity lasts a
lifetime.

You didn't say which boat.

BTW, I thought I did pretty good for never seeing the movie.