Capt. Mooron

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
|
| It could have been a Canadian vessel..... ??
|
| Nah. They appeared sober.

Oh... well that would rule us out right away!! :-)

CM

kvn87

My Apologies, I didn't rember who had posted the CG referrall when I posted
previously.
Kevin

"katysails" wrote in message
I'm not another guy....

"kvn87" wrote in message
Kuods to you max for keeping a cool head and taking positive steps to

not
be
a victim. The encounter may have been innocent but your insticts said it
wasn't quite right. I agree with the other guy who said report it to the
coast guard "just incase" It's always better to be safe then sorry. Also
you'd be surprised what a flare pistol can do to flammable (and not so
flamible) odjects.

Good sailing to you
Kevin

"Maxprop" wrote in message
ink.net...
Last Saturday, while returning home from a nearby port (35nm to the

north)
on Lake Michigan this happened to us when we were about 8nm from our

port.
I'll report the incident and let you all make your own judgments.

It was a sunny day, 10kts. from the west, and we were making roughly

6kts.
southbound, my wife at the helm. I'd just lain down on one of the

cockpit
seats when I heard the rumble of a couple of large gas engines

throttling
down. I peeked over the coaming to discover a go fast boat,

approaching
from the rear, had slowed and nearly stopped about 30 yards off our
starboard beam. I grabbed the binocs and took a look. The skipper

was
shaggy-looking middle-aged man dressed in a muscle shirt and his three
passengers were all younger men dressed in heavy, dark

clothing--sweaters,
dark pants, etc. Not exactly what one would expect for an afternoon

outing
on the old go-fast. All were standing in their boat, the Panama

Jeanne,
about 38' long. They turned toward us and approached at slow speed,

came
up
behind us, and stalked us for about 5 minutes. Then they pulled up

along
the port side. During this time I went below and obtained our 25mm

flare
gun, loaded it, and stuck two additional flares in my pocket. A lot

of
good
it would have done, but it made me feel that I was at least doing

something.
The skipper then yelled something to us. We asked him to repeat and

he
inquired as to the distance and direction to our home port. We told

him
6
miles (a lie, but we could see the breakwalls of the channel in the
distance). He then conferred with the other young men, and finally

said,
"You have a beautiful boat." I said, "Thanks." After stalking us for

while longer they finally drifted off to port (toward shore), idled

along
for another five minutes, then sped off to the south.

The experience was unnerving, to say the least. It certainly makes

one
feel
vulnerable when traveling at 6kts. My take on this is that they

thought
single woman was traveling alone, and when they saw me they decided to

check
things out further before reacting. It is possible they might have

thought
me armed, as my arm and hand were extended into the cabin, holding the

flare
gun, while I was standing in the cockpit.

OTOH it could have been innocent, but such behavior is certainly

suspicious.

What's your take?

Max

Maxprop

"Maxprop" wrote in message

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
|
| It could have been a Canadian vessel..... ??
|
| Nah. They appeared sober.

Oh... well that would rule us out right away!! :-)

True. You can always spot a Canadian--face down in the clam dip.

Max
:-)

Maxprop

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Was there no other boats in sight?

There were several other boats in sight, but none closer than 5 or 6 miles.
We were about 3/4 mile offshore, so lots of houses in view. It struck me as
odd that this boat would approach us in light of the fact that anyone
watching with binoculars from a house could have seen everything, including
the name of the go-fast boat, emblazoned down the gunnels.

Max

Scott Vernon

That's why I asked. Pirating on the 'high seas' , out of sight is one
thing, but on a lake, near shore. Unless these were really, really
dumb pirates. Maybe they were Canadian afterall.

Scotty

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Was there no other boats in sight?

There were several other boats in sight, but none closer than 5 or 6

miles.
We were about 3/4 mile offshore, so lots of houses in view. It

struck me as
odd that this boat would approach us in light of the fact that

anyone
watching with binoculars from a house could have seen everything,

including
the name of the go-fast boat, emblazoned down the gunnels.

Max

Maxprop

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

That's why I asked. Pirating on the 'high seas' , out of sight is one
thing, but on a lake, near shore. Unless these were really, really
dumb pirates. Maybe they were Canadian afterall.

Bearing exactly that in mind was probably the only reason I didn't have pee
running down my leg.

Max

Maxprop

"katysails" wrote in message

eeeewwwwww...J. would never let you back on the boat again.....

I have to beg permission to board now as it is.

Max

katysails

As it should be....

"Maxprop" wrote in message