Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Thom Stewart

Default Difference between Lake and Salt water Sailing

Went out sailing last evening with my new crewman. He came knocking on
my door to inform me there was good wind blowing out on the Bay. We can
see it from our house on the hill. It was blowing like stink. White Caps
and about a 2 ft Chop. I wouldn't have gone out but figured this could
be a learning time for the "Teacher"

Let him set sail at the slip. Just eased the Lazy Jacks but left them in
place. Out we went.

Cleared the harbor mark and into wind. "Pneuma" lifted her skirt and
heeled about 35 degrees. My lake sailor turned white. A capsize on a
Hobie isn't the same as on a 29 foot pilothouse sloop.

Showed him about Main Sail twist and furled the head sail down to about
100% from the 154. Pneuma came up on her lines (15 degrees) helm to
Zero.

We sailed about 21/2 hrs, dodging gill nets from the fishermen. It was a
great sail!

We headed in Wing on Wing, with the preventer set on the boom. As we
neared the harbor he wanted to head into the wind to drop sail. My
chance to teach about Lazy Jacks, He pulled the full batten main down
into the jacks, Started the engine and left in neutral and sail into
harbor with head sail (My furler isn't working to well. Little Maint.
necessary.)
I have another convert to full batten--Lazy Jack system) I on the other
hand am dam well happy for the able body crew

Ole Thom