FamilySailor

Default News Server?

Hey, I have not been able to post for a week (I know, no great loss). But, I
have not been able to read posts either. Here at work we don't have a
news-server, so I am accessing one that is public, but it is down all the
time.

Does anyone know of a good public news server I can use?

I have a lot of catching up to do, but some posts are already off of this
server.... :-(

Wally

FamilySailor wrote:

Does anyone know of a good public news server I can use?

Check out...

http://www.individual.net/

Good server, very reliable, seems popular, text-only, and free. You have to
register - they supply you with a user name and password to put into your
newsreader. And I think you have to use a valid email address in your
headers (newsreader setup). You *will* get loads of spam, so use (or create)
a Yahoo/Hotmail/whatever address.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

katysails

You *will* get loads of spam, so use (or create)
a Yahoo/Hotmail/whatever address.

I use individual and do not get loads of spam...I get the guys pretending to
be religious gurus with a million dollars of inherited money with no
relative to legally inherit it and that's about it...

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Wally

katysails wrote:

I use individual and do not get loads of spam...I get the guys
pretending to be religious gurus with a million dollars of inherited
money with no relative to legally inherit it and that's about it...

Yours looks like an ISP account - maybe they have spam filtering in place?
The few times I've checked my cedar_bucket one at Hotmail, it was always
full of crap. Just after I switched to the German server, I remember that
address rapidly filling after just a few ng posts.

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

katysails

Yours looks like an ISP account - maybe they have spam filtering in place?

Yep...they do...too bad they can't get the guys with the unfortunate
relatives and the Swiss bank account....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

katysails

You're allowed to read ng's at work? Our computer policy is very specific
that Usenet is not to be accessed....most policies do say that
nowadays....we can only subscribe to ListServ groups if it is directly job
related....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse