Bart Senior

Default a honking day on LIS

With bare poles?

"Scott Vernon" wrote

Were any of them sailing up wind?

gonefishiing

BB,
meant to ask:
how is milford for a weekend stay?
thanks
gf.

wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:44:35 -0400, "gonefishiing" wrote:

was anyone else out on long island sound yesterday?
it was blowing like stink all day.
just returned last night. spent the night aboard only to wake up to rain
today.

if i didn't have to be back, we could have made block island in record

time.
as it was, we spun the boat around and headed for home on a close haul

all
day.

something i have encounter a number of times on the sound: when the wind

is
out of the west--south west, it always seems to gain strength the closer

get to the western edge of the sound. i suspect it has to do with how

narrow
the area around throgs neck is, relative to the rest of the sound.

has anyone else experienced this

The LIS was indeed honking yesterday. We got a late start at around 11:00

AM.
The first hour or two it was blowing about 12 knots more or less, with

fairly
flat seas. By 3:00, it was blowing about 20 knots, with frequent higher

gusts,
and the seas picked up accordingly.

It was a great sail from near Milford, up to Hammonassett Beach and back

with
beautiful weather. Tons of sailboats were out. At Hammonassett Beach,

someone
was flying a giant kite that resembled an octopus. Rough guess is that,

with
tentacles, it must have been about 50 feet long and 10 feet high. There

were
other, much smaller kites doing aerobatics.

BB

gonefishiing

have any interest in a perpetual motion machine?
gf.

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. ..
With bare poles?

"Scott Vernon" wrote

Were any of them sailing up wind?

Jonathan Ganz

He did... 77 was a good year... think glass, forward
looking design. See... you're not a total loser.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
oops a typo: 1976 pearson 30 hull #840

no not a bobsprit twin
but i do know bob----sailing neighbor so to speak, although i have not

seen
him for about 2 years.
BTW: i thought bob sold ghost?
gf.

"SamSpade" wrote in message
.. .
gonefishiing wrote:
well lets see
its got one of those keel thingies on the bottom
a sail in the front and one in the back
sails well for its vintage and does what i need it to do for now
a 1977 pearson 30

ghost? Are you boobie's evil twin?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Fishboy, I have no need of a sailboat in my gay lifestyle.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Jonathan Ganz

It's from an old thread...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, "gonefishiing" wrote:

was anyone else out on long island sound yesterday?
it was blowing like stink all day.
just returned last night. spent the night aboard

We had a wonderful although somewhat aimless time, but certainly a
comparatively fast and sometimes also challenging one -- to/near
Execution Rocks and Manhassett Bay then to above Stamford with some
back-and-forth crossing in between. Unfortunately, however, we saw a
neighbor from our marina get dismasted (safely helped by fast-arriving
police and some others).

something i have encounter a number of times on the sound:
when the wind is out of the west--south west, it always seems
to gain strength the closer i get to the western edge of
the sound. i suspect it has to do with how narrow
the area around throgs neck is, relative to the rest of the sound.
has anyone else experienced this

Especially in such wind conditions, it is frequently as you say
below/near Throgs Neck to beyond Hempstead, but not necessarily more
on "the western edge of the sound" compared with the other side
further up the sound. But, sure (i.e.: obviously!) - one learns to
look for differing conditions on This compared with That side
depending on wind direction and velocity and the tides, etc., etc.

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004, "gonefishiing" wrote:

didn't get near CT and so didn't see the kites
closed we came was one long tack which placed us
outside larchmont. stuck along the long island
side (fewer rocks to deal with!........aka: lazy
man's navigation)

The rocks near Larchmont are all clearly marked on the charts and by
long-established buoys. OTOH, early last week, the owner of an older
J boat long moored off Larchmont evidently decided to go on a late
night sail and to return at comparatively low tide over exactly those
well-known/well-marked rocks, and his boat sank leaving just a portio
nof the mast exposed above water (though it was refloated the
following morning by a SeaTow barge/grappler and two other SeaTow
boats).

gonefishiing

the weather patterns have been unlike i have experienced in the 10 or so
years on the sound.
i was watching the clouds saturday night and they appeared to be many
differnt systems at differnet altiitudes, moving in different directions at
a fast rate. the same saturday during the day, although i can't say if they
were at different altitudes.

i do recall one day sailing eastward while a line of thunderstroms hung over
just the south portion of the sound and we were in sun light for the day.

sorry to hear about the dismasting.
gf.