gonefishiing

Default a honking day on LIS

was anyone else out on long island sound yesterday?
it was blowing like stink all day.
just returned last night. spent the night aboard only to wake up to rain
today.

if i didn't have to be back, we could have made block island in record time.
as it was, we spun the boat around and headed for home on a close haul all
day.

something i have encounter a number of times on the sound: when the wind is
out of the west--south west, it always seems to gain strength the closer i
get to the western edge of the sound. i suspect it has to do with how narrow
the area around throgs neck is, relative to the rest of the sound.

has anyone else experienced this

Jonathan Ganz

Fishboy, what kind of sailboat?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
was anyone else out on long island sound yesterday?
it was blowing like stink all day.
just returned last night. spent the night aboard only to wake up to rain
today.

if i didn't have to be back, we could have made block island in record

time.
as it was, we spun the boat around and headed for home on a close haul all
day.

something i have encounter a number of times on the sound: when the wind

is
out of the west--south west, it always seems to gain strength the closer i
get to the western edge of the sound. i suspect it has to do with how

narrow
the area around throgs neck is, relative to the rest of the sound.

has anyone else experienced this

gonefishiing

didn't get near CT and so didn't see the kites
closed we came was one long tack which placed us outside larchmont.
stuck along the long island side (fewer rocks to deal with!........aka: lazy
man's navigation)
from coldspring harbor we headed to seacliff to hang out at the yacht club
there and use the swimming pool only to find out they had no moorings
available, i believe it was due to the end of the around long island race.

given the weather, i didn't have the temerity to drop anchor, and pointed
for home (city island). by this time (4:00 pm or so) there where few boats
out and most that were out, were motoring with bare poles.
gf

wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 11:44:35 -0400, "gonefishiing" wrote:
The LIS was indeed honking yesterday. We got a late start at around 11:00

AM.
The first hour or two it was blowing about 12 knots more or less, with

fairly
flat seas. By 3:00, it was blowing about 20 knots, with frequent higher

gusts,
and the seas picked up accordingly.

It was a great sail from near Milford, up to Hammonassett Beach and back

with
beautiful weather. Tons of sailboats were out. At Hammonassett Beach,

someone
was flying a giant kite that resembled an octopus. Rough guess is that,

with
tentacles, it must have been about 50 feet long and 10 feet high. There

were
other, much smaller kites doing aerobatics.

BB

gonefishiing

well lets see
its got one of those keel thingies on the bottom
a sail in the front and one in the back
sails well for its vintage and does what i need it to do for now
a 1977 pearson 30

gf.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Fishboy, what kind of sailboat?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

SamSpade

gonefishiing wrote:
well lets see
its got one of those keel thingies on the bottom
a sail in the front and one in the back
sails well for its vintage and does what i need it to do for now
a 1977 pearson 30

ghost? Are you boobie's evil twin?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Fishboy, I have no need of a sailboat in my gay lifestyle.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Scott Vernon

"gonefishiing" wrote in message
didn't get near CT and so didn't see the kites
closed we came was one long tack which placed us outside larchmont.
stuck along the long island side (fewer rocks to deal with!........aka:

lazy
man's navigation)

Yup, gotta watch out for them LIS rocks. I hear they can bite.

from coldspring harbor we headed to seacliff to hang out at the yacht club
there and use the swimming pool only to find out they had no moorings
available, i believe it was due to the end of the around long island race.

Funny, there was a ****** who used to post here, bragged and bragged about
doing the ALI race, but then chickened out on it.

out and most that were out, were motoring with bare poles.

Were any of them sailing up wind?

SV

gonefishiing

oops a typo: 1976 pearson 30 hull #840

no not a bobsprit twin
but i do know bob----sailing neighbor so to speak, although i have not seen
him for about 2 years.
BTW: i thought bob sold ghost?
gf.

"SamSpade" wrote in message
.. .
gonefishiing wrote:
well lets see
its got one of those keel thingies on the bottom
a sail in the front and one in the back
sails well for its vintage and does what i need it to do for now
a 1977 pearson 30

ghost? Are you boobie's evil twin?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
Fishboy, I have no need of a sailboat in my gay lifestyle.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

gonefishiing

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message

Yup, gotta watch out for them LIS rocks. I hear they can bite.

can and do. not any different than anywhere else: just didn't feel like
dealing with it, as i don't know the CT coast well.and it was the last
weekend with my daughter (crew) for the next month and a half: thought i'd
rather enjoy the sail with her: and a serious sail it was. this thirteen
year old can steer a course with ease. knows every piece of gear on the
boat, and understands when something has a sense of urgency and simply does
what needs to get done. although she was disapointed when she realized being
on deck was not the thing to do this day--some time at the helm offered some
alternate enthusiam.

i suspect she is a reasonable republican, but she'll decide that on her
own. in any event she can sail circles around the logic of a ganz.

Funny, there was a ****** who used to post here, bragged and bragged about
doing the ALI race, but then chickened out on it.

ahh ok..........the bait?
nah but thanks.

Were any of them sailing up wind

.......more bait, i see.
think it was a combination of things: dark storm clouds to the
northwest----flying to the north of where we were, and the water ahead was
being cut by the wind sending spray into the air and looking nearly like fog
to the west. actually at one point forming a rainbow just south of
manhasset.
the skies and weather patterns have been crazy lately????
sailing? no: they were motoring home at the end of the weekend (wind on the
nose)

me/us?....we chose to have some fun and beat home.
excellent way to end my time with her........and i would highly recomend it
to anyone.
gf.

Scott Vernon

"gonefishiing" wrote

in any event she can sail circles around the logic of a ganz.

probably beat him in a cat fight, too.