Vito

Default A place where liberal politics and yachting collided

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There is no upcoming depression. That's wacko.....

I wish ....

Jonathan Ganz

Well, so do I but it's not going to happen in all reasonable likelyhood.
There's no evidence of something cataclysmic like that. The world
economy is relatively stable, certain the 1st world is in economic terms.
While there are major problems, India and Pakistan seem to be
headed in the right direction, at least not threatening each other on
a daily basis. China and Taiwan are not being beligerant. North Korea
isn't any more unstable than usual. The US and the rest of the 1st world
economies are generally doing ok.

What do you base that on?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Vito" wrote in message
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There is no upcoming depression. That's wacko.....

I wish ....

Vito

A sr economist one step under Greenspan said we (US) is now dependent on
borrowing from Euro banks who could suddenly decide to invest in their own
economies and that'd drive our gummyment into receiverhip.

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote

What do you base that on?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Vito" wrote in message
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There is no upcoming depression. That's wacko.....

I wish ....

Jonathan Ganz

I don't think that is a reasonable outcome. I doubt he thinks it's likely.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Vito" wrote in message
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message
There is no upcoming depression. That's wacko.....

I wish ....

thunder

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:37:06 -0700, Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Well, so do I but it's not going to happen in all reasonable likelyhood.
There's no evidence of something cataclysmic like that. The world economy
is relatively stable, certain the 1st world is in economic terms. While
there are major problems, India and Pakistan seem to be headed in the
right direction, at least not threatening each other on a daily basis.
China and Taiwan are not being beligerant. North Korea isn't any more
unstable than usual. The US and the rest of the 1st world economies are
generally doing ok.

What do you base that on?

http://www.dieoff.org/page116.htm

Jonathan Ganz

Too much reading for me right now...care to summarize?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:37:06 -0700, Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Well, so do I but it's not going to happen in all reasonable likelyhood.
There's no evidence of something cataclysmic like that. The world

economy
is relatively stable, certain the 1st world is in economic terms. While
there are major problems, India and Pakistan seem to be headed in the
right direction, at least not threatening each other on a daily basis.
China and Taiwan are not being beligerant. North Korea isn't any more
unstable than usual. The US and the rest of the 1st world economies are
generally doing ok.

What do you base that on?

http://www.dieoff.org/page116.htm

thunder

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:51:09 -0700, Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Too much reading for me right now...care to summarize?

Oil, or lack of it. Production of world oil supplies are expected to peak
sometime between now and 2025. As oil is a gift deeply entwined in our
lives, the future without it will be quite traumatic. Depending on who
you listen to, the effects range from the death of a growth based economy,
to a population die off.
Anonymous Sender

Oil, or lack of it. Production of world oil supplies are expected
to peak sometime between now and 2025. As oil is a gift deeply
entwined in our lives, the future without it will be quite
traumatic. Depending on who you listen to, the effects range from
the death of a growth based economy, to a population die off.

Fortunately, the US has lots of coal to make electricity with. Electric
motors with batteries will work just as well as combustion motors. It
just costs more to scrub the pollution from the coal emissions. Nuclear
power will look pretty attractive at that point too.
Jonathan Ganz

This implies that we won't find viable alternatives between now
and then. There will probably be some severe problems in
high population 3rd world countries, but they already have
these problems. The 1st world will be much less affected.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"thunder" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:51:09 -0700, Jonathan Ganz wrote:

Too much reading for me right now...care to summarize?

Oil, or lack of it. Production of world oil supplies are expected to peak
sometime between now and 2025. As oil is a gift deeply entwined in our
lives, the future without it will be quite traumatic. Depending on who
you listen to, the effects range from the death of a growth based economy,
to a population die off.

thunder

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 10:05:36 -0700, Jonathan Ganz wrote:

This implies that we won't find viable alternatives between now and then.
There will probably be some severe problems in high population 3rd world
countries, but they already have these problems. The 1st world will be
much less affected.

I'm not so sure. Alternatives? As an energy source, perhaps, but for
plastics, medicines, fertilizers, perhaps not. Also, as peak oil is now,
time is running out. A little factoid, the US population consumes its
entire weight in oil . . . every week.

http://www.oilcrisis.com/debate/oilcalcs.htm