FamilySailor

Default Opinions about the Catalina 27'

Hey Dave,

Are you talking about the balsa core being soft or rotten, or the actual
layers of fiberglass seperating?

Inquiring mind want to know!

Nav

DSK wrote:

FamilySailor wrote:

Thanks, I will check those things out. As far as performance; I enjoy
lazy
sailing more. Did you say it points pretty good? That is definitely a
requirement as far as I am concerned.

Well, it's a fin keel masthead sloop... it's not an IACC boat, but if
the rig & sails are decent it should get somewhere inside 90...

Through what angle do IACC yachts typically tack through?

Cheers

DSK

Nav wrote:
Through what angle do IACC yachts typically tack through?

I don't really know. What angle *do* they tack through?

From watching them I suspect they go more for footing than pointing,
and they still appear to tack through around 70 to 80 degrees. The 12
Meters were better at pinching than footing and could tack through 60
degrees when conditions warrant.

Which do *you* think points higher, masthead rigs or fractional?

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Horvath

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 08:13:20 -0500, "FamilySailor" wrote
this crap:

Okay sailors,

We are thinking about purchasing a 78 Catalina 27' Does anyone have an
opinion about this boat. I understand they are more of a small cruising
boat, but pretty fast too. I have not had the chance to survey the boat in
person yet. It is said to be ready to sail and has an 11 hp inboard diesel.
I will call them tonight. It has an autopilot, all sails, roller furler,
dodger & bimini top, alcohol stove etc. and they are asking $4000. Any
Catalina specific questions I need to ask?

That seems a little high. Does it have a trailer, or a cradle? Any
electronics?

katysails

They are decent boats to start out on, but kind of cramped for a family to
weekend on...make sure you get a survey....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Horvath

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:53:20 +1000, OzOne wrote this crap:

Epoxy won't set if there is any moisture present!

You are incorrect.

Nav

Horvath wrote:

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 08:53:20 +1000, OzOne wrote this crap:

Epoxy won't set if there is any moisture present!

You are incorrect.

Uh oh!

Cheers

Jonathan Ganz

I found the one we had did well on the bay. It wasn't the fastest
out there, but it did ok. An outboard would have been totally
unsuitable given the conditions. While the interior was small,
the worst part was the inaccessability of the A4. It was a bitch
doing anything, even checking the oil.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
et...
I think the Cat 27 is one of the crappier Catalina designs.
The interior is too small and the boat does not perform
all that well, but it can handle San Francisco conditions.

Inboard diesels are good to have and work better in
rough condtions. But in a boat that size an outboard
might be more practical.

The price of your's sounds good.

FamilySailor wrote

We are thinking about purchasing a 78 Catalina 27' Does anyone have an
opinion about this boat. I understand they are more of a small cruising
boat, but pretty fast too. I have not had the chance to survey the boat

in
person yet. It is said to be ready to sail and has an 11 hp inboard

diesel.
I will call them tonight. It has an autopilot, all sails, roller furler,
dodger & bimini top, alcohol stove etc. and they are asking $4000. Any
Catalina specific questions I need to ask?

Happy Sails,
FamilySailor (John)

FamilySailor

The boat sold already after only TWO DAYS!!!!! Bummer

FamilySailor

I thought is was a good deal... That is why it sold in two days and I missed
it!

Sailing San Diego to Catalina bryan General 4 July 18th 04 10:27 AM
Opinions on P&H Orca??? bub Touring 6 July 11th 04 12:52 PM
FS: Catalina 36 in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 May 23rd 04 05:08 AM
FS: Catalina 36 in NY Bobsprit Cruising 4 May 17th 04 05:29 AM
FS: Catalina 36 in NY, Great Boat! Bobsprit Marketplace 0 May 13th 04 04:47 PM