Bart Senior

Default Question inspired by a Dutch sailor.

I got these from a Dutch Sailor who built his own boat.
A short conversation and a single observation proved to
me that this fellow was an experienced sailor.

[3 pts]

What is a day tank?

How is it used?

Why would you want one?

katysails

Day Tank
A glass-containing vessel made from refractory blocks mainly used for the
melting of batch for coloured glass, crystal glass and soft special glasses.
Day tanks are refilled with batch daily, with melting usually done at night
and glass production the following day. Used for producing larger quantities
of glass than is possible with pot furnaces (see "pot"). The type of glass
to be melted can be changed at short notice.

He who lives in a glass boat shouldn't throw seashells???? In actuality,
it's a type of diesel storage system that uses a gravity siphon....I have no
idea why you'd want one except (i'll guess) it would relieve having your
engine pump the diesel in? (That's just a guess from someone who can change
oil but really doesn't much get into the mechanics of it all...)

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

katysails

2 points--for the first two questions.

YIPPEEE!!!!! I finally got two Bart points!!!!!
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Bobspirt

2 points--for the first two questions.

YIPPEEE!!!!! I finally got two Bart points!!!!!
--
katysails

No,he said "pints". I think he wants to get you drunk.

katysails

No,he said "pints". I think he wants to get you drunk.

2 pints would put me into a coma....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Remco Moedt

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:43:05 GMT, "Bart Senior"
wrote:

I got these from a Dutch Sailor who built his own boat.
A short conversation and a single observation proved to
me that this fellow was an experienced sailor.

[3 pts]

What is a day tank?

The fueltank connected to the engine.

How is it used?

Uh, as a tank. You fill it with a pump from the maintank(s).

Why would you want one?

To get the weight balanced, and keep the fuelline to the engine short.

Cheers!

Remco

PS, wasn't the guy Dick Koopmans?

Scout

It is a fuel tank, baring any esoteric definitions. He might be a seasoned
sailor, or he might be an hvac technician, who would also call "certain"
fuel filled tanks, daytanks. In the mechanical trades, they're part of an
elaborate fuel delivery system that offers a few benefits over the
conventional main tank to fuel pump relationship.
Scout

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. net...
I got these from a Dutch Sailor who built his own boat.
A short conversation and a single observation proved to
me that this fellow was an experienced sailor.

[3 pts]

What is a day tank?

How is it used?

Why would you want one?

DSK

Scout wrote:

It is a fuel tank, baring any esoteric definitions. He might be a seasoned
sailor, or he might be an hvac technician, who would also call "certain"
fuel filled tanks, daytanks. In the mechanical trades, they're part of an
elaborate fuel delivery system that offers a few benefits over the
conventional main tank to fuel pump relationship.

Yep. But certain folks really like elaborate & complex & difficult-to-operate
systems. And the benefits are real enough *if* you are the type who will not
take good care of the fuel unless forced to.

Disadvantages: more expensive, more bulky, greater likelihood of spillage,
more valves & lines to maintain.

Advantages: offers a check on fuel quality (note: the same checks can be done
with a regular fuel system also), allows easy priming, allows the engine to
keep running if lift pump fails.

IMHO a day tank does not make sense on a small cruising boat. Big ships draw
fuel from "service" or "ready" tanks that are the same concept, but the fuel
is measured in tons rather than gallons and all the storage tanks are certain
to have a lot of seawater sloshing around in the bottoms, so stripping it in
transfer to ready tank makes sense.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

otnmbrd

DSK wrote:

Advantages: offers a check on fuel quality (note: the same checks can be done
with a regular fuel system also), allows easy priming, allows the engine to
keep running if lift pump fails.

IMHO a day tank does not make sense on a small cruising boat. Big ships draw
fuel from "service" or "ready" tanks that are the same concept, but the fuel
is measured in tons rather than gallons and all the storage tanks are certain
to have a lot of seawater sloshing around in the bottoms, so stripping it in
transfer to ready tank makes sense.

Only on Navy combatants .... otherwise there'd better NOT be any
sal****er in those main storage tanks .... water, maybe some (from the
fuel) but not sal****er.
Main reason on larger vessels is to clean and for heavy fuel, to get to
right temp.

otn

Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM
Wish you had a Dutch Motoryacht? Searcher Cruising 0 August 4th 03 03:51 PM